Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The reason we don't see more historical RPGs is because they all suck

Butter

Arcane
Patron
10746.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Don't think Viking Conquest reforged made the codex top 70, more people should give it a shot. Turns M&B into a proper rpg with various questlines, different starting points, some interesting additions to character creation like personality type that effect dialog, et cetera. Grounded historical rpgs are a bit of a rare bird. I can really only think of two quality ones, outside of the already mentioned Darklands, in Hammer and Sickle, and Expeditions: Viking.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I did vote for Darklands and Expeditions: Conquistador, but I didn't vote for Sword of the Samurai because it never stood a chance, even if I really like that game. That's how democracy works, unfortunately.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Name one authentic historical RPG that is in RPGCodex's top 70 list
The Codex's Top 70 list (or the newer Top Whatever list) is a disgrace, and there haven't been many attempts at creating an "authentic historical RPG". Kingdom Come: Deliverance did a creditable job at designing a naturalistic, late-medieval, non-fantasy setting, with enough systems of game mechanics to keep the player occupied and interested for a full-length RPG; it's greatest failing was an excessive narrative focus, which resulted in interminable cut-scenes and in the later stages of the game being dragged out to satisfy the needs of the main plot.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I did vote for Darklands and Expeditions: Conquistador, but I didn't vote for Sword of the Samurai because it never stood a chance, even if I really like that game. That's how democracy works, unfortunately.

I'm not sure that's how democracy works

People should vote for /whowhat they want to win, even if that person/thing has no chance of winning

Funposter

Arcane
I voted for Darklands and Kingdom Come, both of which are in the new top 70. Kingdom Come is about as authentic as historical fiction comes, tbh

LizardWizard

Cipher
Don't think Viking Conquest reforged made the codex top 70, more people should give it a shot. Turns M&B into a proper rpg with various questlines, different starting points, some interesting additions to character creation like personality type that effect dialog, et cetera. .

That's because mods did it better years earlier and for free

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Expeditions games from Logic Artists are great - Conquistador and Viking. They are ""historical"" RPGs.
That said, you can really nitpick a lot what historical even means here. A story with no supernatural elements isn't historic at all, historically people believed in this shit and acted according to its myths. To see the world through the eyes of the character, the plot must be presented as if there were supernatural elements, even if you leave enough breadcrumbs for the 21st century player to piece together an actual natural and logical explanation that covers it.
I do want trolls on bridges in my viking game, it would be ahistorical not to have them. You know?

Martyr

Arcane
The Expeditions games from Logic Artists are great - Conquistador and Viking. They are ""historical"" RPGs.
That said, you can really nitpick a lot what historical even means here. A story with no supernatural elements isn't historic at all, historically people believed in this shit and acted according to its myths. To see the world through the eyes of the character, the plot must be presented as if there were supernatural elements, even if you leave enough breadcrumbs for the 21st century player to piece together an actual natural and logical explanation that covers it.
I do want trolls on bridges in my viking game, it would be ahistorical not to have them. You know?

iirc you were fighting ghosts in Expeditions Viking at least twice.
I can 100% remember one fight in a tomb/grave, with 2 or 3 waves of ghosts. and once in a forest, but I'm not sure about that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
iirc you were fighting ghosts in Expeditions Viking at least twice

But it turns out they're not ghosts, only starving people with an extremely pale skin.
There's also the giants fight (giants <> difformed huge people)
Each time, the game lets you interpret the events and choose wether it was a supernatural encounter or not.

I agree with whydoibother though, a bit of fantastic doesn't hurt and Expeditions vikings take on the subject is quite interesting, just needed to use it more often.

After all, supernatural creatures really existed, they were called dinosaurs and we also know there were giant (not sure about the size but if i remember correctly it could have been 6-10 meters long lizards at least)lizards spitting burning fumes in asia coexisting with humans.

So fuck what we think is reality, fantastic creature have their place in an historical settings, as long as they're not around every corner.

overly excitable young man

Tavernking was right all the time.
With all these retarded indie rpgs coming out why is it seemingly impossible to create a historical squad based crpg with good combat!?

And Darklands and Expedition games combat is completely retarded, guys.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

I'm not sure that's how democracy works

On topic:

Reasons why we don't see them is because it means a lot of research and thinking on "how we can make an interesting and fun game without fantasy creatures and magic", it's easier to make stuff without thinking of historical accuracy. Even Darklands fantasy elements were part of the mindset and medieval folklore.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom