Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
I do love that this game actually has a retro art style.
Thanks a lot! I genuinly try to make it as consistent within the constraints as possible. Especially concerning resolution and use of color. This actually takes some fiddeling to pull of in Unity but all the more rewarding when it does :)

mindfields

Learned
Yeah, I dislike games that claim to be retro but don't look like it, for example the Shovel Knight devs were very careful to try and make the graphics close to what the NES could handle, though they did take some liberties.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Yeah, I dislike games that claim to be retro but don't look like it, for example the Shovel Knight devs were very careful to try and make the graphics close to what the NES could handle, though they did take some liberties.

Yeah and I think it's fine to take liberties so long as it's consistent. If you try to work within constraints but only follow them 90% of the time, users will pick it up and it will feel dissonant IMO. I do the same think w SKALD: I use the C64 palette BUT I don't use the exact C64 resolution nor do I adhere to the constraint of numbers of colors used on an 8x8 pixel square. But on the other hand, the rules I do follow, I try to be 100% consistent with. For instance I'm never use any other colors besides the 16 C64 colors and I never use any kind of transparancy.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Hi everybody!

Just wanted to let you all know that SKALD: Against the Black Priory is live on Kickstarter now!

Kickstarter.png

If you like classical turn-based, 8-bit style CRPGs (feelies and all), or just roleplaying in general, head on over now!
Also, tell your friends!

Wish me luck,

AL
SCAPE-IT

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
SkaldRPG How do the digital location rewards (i.e. The Hermitage) actually work? Is it included in the game and needs a password, or is it some sort of add-on you drop in the game directory? I don't think I'd pledge enough for that tier of rewards, but am still curious.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks great, much better than the actual 8-bit games from that era. Mostly because of using muted and complementary colors. I just hope you go Amiga style when it comes to music (always having something appropriate playing in the background and matching environmental sounds) - can't fucking stand those silences and awful ear-grating sounds of the PC originals.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I just hope you go Amiga style when it comes to music (always having something appropriate playing in the background and matching environmental sounds) - can't fucking stand those silences and awful ear-grating sounds of the PC originals.
I offered to use YM2413 for the music, since it has that warm, pleasing sound that is rare among other FM chips.

It was mostly used on MSX2/MSX TurboR/Sega Master System.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of my concerns with this project is that it might be too slow, now with the animations and whatnot. Zipping about the world should be as quick as they were back then; I hope that isn't sacrificed in the name of fancy visuals. I've no cause to think it will, but it seems to happen a lot with modern RPGs. Be sensible please Scape-IT.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Yeah it is, combat looks kind of a mix of Gold Box and Ultima 4-5.

Also over 25% funded and the USA isn't even awake yet!

Spot on! Yeah I'm up to 43% now! So happy!

Pledged like a good patriot. After this, no one will say that Norway has produced no RPGs!

Hell yeah!

SkaldRPG How do the digital location rewards (i.e. The Hermitage) actually work? Is it included in the game and needs a password, or is it some sort of add-on you drop in the game directory? I don't think I'd pledge enough for that tier of rewards, but am still curious.

Honestly I haven't landed the technical implementation for this yet but I'm leaning towards the latter :)

Looks great, much better than the actual 8-bit games from that era. Mostly because of using muted and complementary colors. I just hope you go Amiga style when it comes to music (always having something appropriate playing in the background and matching environmental sounds) - can't fucking stand those silences and awful ear-grating sounds of the PC originals.

The music is f-ing awesome. Just wait and see ;-)

One of my concerns with this project is that it might be too slow, now with the animations and whatnot. Zipping about the world should be as quick as they were back then; I hope that isn't sacrificed in the name of fancy visuals. I've no cause to think it will, but it seems to happen a lot with modern RPGs. Be sensible please Scape-IT.

This is a constant concern in regards to performance but so far I've managed to stay on top of it! The game still runs at 60 FPS on my beat up old computer despite multiple draw layers and pixel wrangling. There is a lot of optimization going on in the draw-pipeline to ensure that the game both plays well w Unity and the engine specific pipeline. The only caveat is that animation MAY need to be scaled back for mobile ports :)

Thanks for all your questions!

D8JOc91XsAUxkz6.png

43% baby!!!

Alchemist

Arcane
Pledged as Freeman - looking forward to the Alpha demo!

I just hope you go Amiga style when it comes to music (always having something appropriate playing in the background and matching environmental sounds) - can't fucking stand those silences and awful ear-grating sounds of the PC originals.
I offered to use YM2413 for the music, since it has that warm, pleasing sound that is rare among other FM chips.

Very nice! Are you using a real YM2413 hardware chip for this or is it emulated somehow? I'm interested in the details since I've been wanting to do something similar (make music with old Yamaha chips).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Pledged as Freeman - looking forward to the Alpha demo!

Very nice! Are you using a real YM2413 hardware chip for this or is it emulated somehow? I'm interested in the details since I've been wanting to do something similar (make music with old Yamaha chips).

Been looking for a good tracker that emulates YM2413 for years, but to no avail. Settled for a VST2413, which emulates the chip. Since it's developed by Keijiro Takahashi, it's good stuff.

This VST doesn't emulate the original limits, so it's recommended to check the information about it if you want to stay true to them.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
FULLY FUNDED BABY!!!!!! Time to start thinking of stretch goals!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom