Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And I didn't enjoy a single solitary minute of it.

Let's finish your personality test, what about PoE 2 ? 1 hour ? 2 maybe ? More ?

Do you flog yourself every night because you have impure thoughts about TB cRPG ?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
And I didn't enjoy a single solitary minute of it.

Let's finish your personality test, what about PoE 2 ? 1 hour ? 2 maybe ? More ?

Do you flog yourself every night because you have impure thoughts about TB cRPG ?

I have 280 hours of Dragon Age Inquisition played.

On the console version. An additional 300 on the PC.

Fairfax

Arcane
There are two more reasons why "everyone" is not returned to life:
1. Priest does not want to do it.
2. Priest's God does not want it done.
Yes, that was supposed to be a factor in 2E, as mentioned in the DMG:
Convincing the NPC to Help

Assuming the player characters know of a capable spellcaster, there is still the problem of convincing the NPC to cast the desired spell. Often the NPC won't even have the spell ready when the characters need it. After all, it isn't every day a cleric needs to cast a raise dead spell. He will need a day just to rest and memorize the desired spell.

Religious Differences: The faith of the player characters and the ethos of the NPC's religion may pose an even greater problem than spell availability. It is quite possible for a cleric to refuse to cast a spell to aid an "unbeliever,'' "heathen,'' or "heretic.'' Some may agree, but only at the cost of a donation, service, or conversion. A rare few accept any and all without passing any judgment. In general, it is best to seek the services of a like-minded cleric than to go to a stranger.
Money: For some clerical spellcasters and most nonclerical types, spellcasting is more a matter of finances than philosophies. If the characters find a capable spellcaster, they must be prepared to pay (and pay dearly) for his services. For a desperately needed service, the NPC knows he has the player characters over a barrel and will bargain accordingly.

Spells such as Raise Dead and Reincarnation (Resurrection is not listed) had no minimum cost and had this note:
* This spell is normally cast only for those of similar faith or belief. Even then a payment or service may be required.

In general, the costs of purchasing a spell are such that it is far better for someone in the party to learn the spell. In general, the mercenary use of NPC spellcasters should be discouraged whenever possible. The player characters are supposed to face challenges on their own!

Also if I remember well, in 2E elves could not be brought back from dead, they had a thing against resurrection magics.
In 1E, Elves couldn't have Raise Dead or Resurrection cast on them because they have spirits, not souls. In 2E, the restriction remained for Raise Dead (though the PHB said the DM could allow more races), but was removed for Resurrection.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People talk liked diamonds grow in trees when, in fatc, they exist in mines, and the only mines in the game are corrupted and poison. How many diamonds does the player find in BG1?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the most expensive gem in BG1 is a star sapphire that you can sell for 2k gold.

EDIT: It's actually the Rogue Stone, which is indeed 5k gold.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I just checked anyways. It is moot. 2E Ressurection doesn't require a diamond. L0L That said, the RS roll would be a tough thing to get by. Gorion is an old man. How high is his con? :P And, raise dead makes you auto lose con so how many players playing BG would simply reload than 'suffer' a con loss? Not many, I imagine. :P Raise dead also makes it impossible to do anything for days and catsing ressuretcion causes the priest to not be able to cast any spells or fight for days making it a huge risk to cast while adventuring. Plus,e vlves can't get raised (but resurrected). Then you need the dead's 'permission'.

Raise dead/ressuretcion is not as simply as spamming spells. LMAO

p.s. dON'T LIE ABOUT MATERIAL COMPONENTS NEEDED THOUGH. tHAT IS RUDE.

Fairfax

Arcane
That said, the RS roll would be a tough thing to get by. Gorion is an old man. How high is his con? :P
12, so 85% chance of success. Reincarnate/Reincarnation and Wish wouldn't need the check, though.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Having played it recently I must say that this game should play like Temple of Elemental Evil. Just focus on making interesting encounters. They did it in DOS1, so I think they can replicate it.

They have a great engine for that. If they can make the art not look cartoonish and retarded blizzard style, this game can be a landmark. Who doesn`t want a good AD&D based turn based RPG.

Alea jacta est. Both incline and decline are possible in this one.

PD: no Diablo style loot, please. That's disgusting.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So if this rumor is true, I've come to the conclusion that it's gonna be shit. Maybe something worth playing if they get Luke K and James Ohlen on board. Probably shit if MCA is involved because he isn't a full time write on games these days. Best we can hope for in that scenario is something akin to P:K but with a shittier ruleset.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Having played it recently I must say that this game should play like Temple of Elemental Evil. Just focus on making interesting encounters. They did it in DOS1, so I think they can replicate it.

They have a great engine for that. If they can make the art not look cartoonish and retarded blizzard style, this game can be a landmark. Who doesn`t want a good AD&D based turn based RPG.

Alea jacta est. Both incline and decline are possible in this one.

PD: no Diablo style loot, please. That's disgusting.
What? Do we want to tell him, he seems so happy atm :D

Codex Year of the Donut
Except the best RPGs in terms of mechanics have been adaptations of table-top rules.
Only 2 out of the top 10 games in the recent 'best RPGs' poll were direct adaptations of tabletop rules. You can bump it up to 3 if you want to make the argument for VTMB, but they took some serious liberties when implementing it.
Something tells me that the popularity of PST & VTMB have little to do with them being good adaptations of tabletop rules.

And no, being influenced by something is not the same as an adaptation.

Yosharian

Arcane
I just checked anyways. It is moot. 2E Ressurection doesn't require a diamond. L0L That said, the RS roll would be a tough thing to get by. Gorion is an old man. How high is his con? :P And, raise dead makes you auto lose con so how many players playing BG would simply reload than 'suffer' a con loss? Not many, I imagine. :P Raise dead also makes it impossible to do anything for days and catsing ressuretcion causes the priest to not be able to cast any spells or fight for days making it a huge risk to cast while adventuring. Plus,e vlves can't get raised (but resurrected). Then you need the dead's 'permission'.

Raise dead/ressuretcion is not as simply as spamming spells. LMAO

p.s. dON'T LIE ABOUT MATERIAL COMPONENTS NEEDED THOUGH. tHAT IS RUDE.
I didn't lie, I specifically said it was 3.5 and agreed with the first person who pointed out the discrepancy. At the most I was being misleading, and only out of laziness (I'm more familiar with 3.5).

Also, the person I was responding to wasn't only talking about Gorion, and I was making a point generally about d&d.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I just looked over new 5th edition rules and the little part ive seen looks nifty.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content

They even have reactions mechanic in combat, which is very similar to my own ideas and dastardly plans. Those will handle all the attacks of opportunity and similar moves, in addition to the normal actions.
The whole system is made specifically for turn based combat, but it seems its taken the best from ToEE implementation and even improved on it.
Now you can move and attack, but you can combine movement and actions as you like - as long as the skills and attributes allow it. And even combine different ways of moving such as swimming or flying and attacking in between, if you want to.
You can go prone and even crawl while you are prone, at twice the cost of regular movement.
Enemy physical space is regulated nicely too, as size of bodies matters in logical ways and they even use that to clarify what and how can block a passage or a doorway.

The only thing that is not enhanced is initiative, which will be decided based solely by dexterity.

I dont see any reason why two attributes couldnt be used, appropriately for every class. So fighters should get initiative based on dexterity and constitution, while mages should use dexterity and intelligence.
And similar for other classes. Then just get some average or something.... it can be a very simple formula.

It seems more natural, reasonable and believable, while it would prevent dexterity being the best attribute - again, and give the usually dump attributes more use and value.

I can see some mechanics from DoS fitting very nicely in such a system.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom