Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Santander02

Arcane
I wonder why Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3, and not Obsidian, which would be an 'obvious' choice.
Feargus has been taking passive aggressive jabs at D&D and WotC for years.

I distinctly remember a leak here in the dex that said that Obsidian were offered to make BG3 but the publisher pulled the deal because they asked for 30 mil. in founding, guess Larian wasn't as greedy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
can't blame him, WotC is ran by fools.
No, it's ran by Cocks

I distinctly remember a leak here in the dex that said that Obsidian were offered to make BG3 but the publisher pulled the deal because they asked for 30 mil. in founding, guess Larian wasn't as greedy.
Larian probably has enough cash reserves from the sales of D:OS 1 and 2 that they can fund BG3 themselves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Obsidian BG3 was back in 2008. It wasn't entirely a secret, we had a couple newsposts about it: https://rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=2088

That was back when Atari was in charge of making D&D games. This game probably doesn't have a publisher so Larian wouldn't have anybody to ask money from.

hexer

When Atari acquired the DnD video game license, that move killed the Black Hound, right?

P.S. I'm still waiting for Sawyer's promised NWN2 Black Hound module :|

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
When Atari acquired the DnD video game license, that move killed the Black Hound, right?

P.S. I'm still waiting for Sawyer's promised NWN2 Black Hound module :|
The whole point of producing a "Baldur's gate 3" back then was so that the game could be released under Interplay's existing license that allowed them to make a Baldur's gate sequel but not a brand new D&D game.

hexer

I hear Gorion's voice....

Let's hurry child! The night can only get worse so we must find E3 soon. Don't worry, I will explain everything as soon as there is time. Wait! There is something wrong. We are in an ambush. Prepare yourself!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Hurry now, child of Aerie! The night is dark and full of terrors. There is no time. Wait! Something is different. We're not in Bioware game anymore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Boo is a miniature giant space hamster from the Spelljammer setting with an average lifespan of 18 years :obviously:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_space_hamster
According to Kristjanson, that's just a funny coincidence and it really is a normal hamster. :M

rusty_shackleford Can't be bothered to go digging too much but here's Gaider from back in 2001
https://web.archive.org/web/20081122082558/http://www.sorcerers.net/newspro/arc3-2001.html
The Hamster: Boo is a hamster.

He does not really go for the eyes, either, although I could imagine Minsc throwing the poor rodent at a foe and scared little Boo scurrying off until Minsc found him again.

But, regardless, Boo does not have any special powers. He cannot 'call' other hamsters and while I suppose he could trip traps like the original hamsters did for that character, I'm not sure that's the fate we'd want to subject Boo to, himself.

At best, Boo is an animal companion for a ranger. But that still makes him a normal hamster, wishful thinking aside.

The joke is that Minsc is crazy but oh wait no this thing he's talking about really exists, but, no he really is just crazy.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Let's hurry child! The night can only get worse so we must find E3 soon. Don't worry, I will explain everything as soon as there is time. Wait! There is something wrong. We are in an ambush. Prepare yourself!

1fixVaH.png
You're perceptive for a cis-hetero white man. You know why I'm here. Hand over your IP and no one will have their gender changed. If you resist it shall be a waste of your life.

Codex Year of the Donut
Boo is a miniature giant space hamster from the Spelljammer setting with an average lifespan of 18 years :obviously:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_space_hamster
According to Kristjanson, that's just a funny coincidence and it really is a normal hamster. :M

rusty_shackleford Can't be bothered to go digging too much but here's Gaider from back in 2001
https://web.archive.org/web/20081122082558/http://www.sorcerers.net/newspro/arc3-2001.html
The Hamster: Boo is a hamster.

He does not really go for the eyes, either, although I could imagine Minsc throwing the poor rodent at a foe and scared little Boo scurrying off until Minsc found him again.

But, regardless, Boo does not have any special powers. He cannot 'call' other hamsters and while I suppose he could trip traps like the original hamsters did for that character, I'm not sure that's the fate we'd want to subject Boo to, himself.

At best, Boo is an animal companion for a ranger. But that still makes him a normal hamster, wishful thinking aside.

The joke is that Minsc is crazy but oh wait no this thing he's talking about really exists, but, no he really is just crazy.
Boo is Elminster's familiar.

Ol'man

Educated
My biggest issue with this is the grid locked movement D:OS2 has; spells and AoE worked fine but you were stuck on a chess board. I prefer the ToEE systems for D&D, even if tile-based is closer to P&P

edit: Think I confused D:OS 2 with something else! I really did not care for D:OS 2 enough to remember it apparently

Tile-based is actually an optional rule in 5e. I'd hope it's more like ToEE, as well, though somethings (5ft step) no longer exist.

Ol'man

Educated
whats the time diff between beginning of bg1 and ending of tob? Asking coz hamster lifespan is 3yrs
Maybe Boo is a title or it's like if your kid's goldfish dies... better hurry to the pet store and find his double before your toddler notices.

Ol'man

Educated
Mark my words: This whole discussion about RTwP vs TB will prove to be completely pointless. The game will have a baseline/default TB mode which you will use for harder fights, and a quasi-realtime mode you can switch to utilizing AI and player scripts for easier/trash fights.

More to the point, Vancian casting or cooldowns? Limited resources per "adventuring day" or per-encounter abilities?

How are they going to do reactions in either? It's not just AoO anymore.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do Minsc change a hamster each third year or does he carry around a stuffed corpse of Boo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom