Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your pet peeves

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
People who bitch about winner take all PVP in games that are explicitly designed to have PVP function like this. Theres a couple different variants of these fags that show up depending on the game. In MMORPGs their complaint is usually simply that there are consequences for losing, they dont like that, or that meany PVP bullies can kill them while they're sex LARPing or whatever, basically they want to be able to opt out of PVP gameplay whenever it suits them. Whatever.

the more egregious kind shows up, bizarrely, in games like DayZ. Their complaint that people kill them, in a game centered around killing people and taking their shit, is usually dressed up as "oh, you didnt make any efforts to have a ~MEANINGFUL INTERACTION~ with me before you killed me..... im not angry its just boring... " Sorry faggot, I have friends IRL, im here to play the game and win, which involves us shooting you in the face as soon as we see you and taking your nice things, not have a barroom conversation over voip with some awkward german dork.

Quillon

Arcane
Devs dictating a premade protag down our throats where he/she could just as easily be custom(fully or only in appearance) with little to none story repercussions.

aris

Arcane
too much content and text and too little quality. Too much open world.

Linearity with branches can be fine. Not every game has to be a theme park like fallout. Also 70+ hours of content is not a selling point for me anymore. I have shit to be done in real life now, and I rather prefer games that can be finished in 20 hours or less.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Inverted Y-Axis should be the default option on all console gaems!! :argh:

I was trying to think what my peeve might be, and yours sparked my memory. Games which allow inversion of one axis and not the other. If I'm in third person view, with a controller, I need both camera controls inverted. Only ever got like 1 hour into Bound by Flame for this reason

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
"Tiered" Boss Fights. You fight your enemy, lower his health by 2/3, then suddenly you get a short cutscene (with an obligatory 'OMG HE'S SO POWERFUL" speech despite kicking the enemy's ass in like 3 seconds), his health bar is replenished and he's ON FIRE NOW. Resume fighting, lower his health by 2/3 again, his health bar replenishes once again and now HE SPEWS LAVA TOO. You fight him again 1-2 more times like this before he actually dies. OMG SUCH SUSPENSE, VERY COMBAT DESIGN, SO EXCITEMENT

Or even worse: round 2 comes only after you lower the boss' health to zero.

Swigen

Arbiter
"Tiered" Boss Fights. You fight your enemy, lower his health by 2/3, then suddenly you get a short cutscene (with an obligatory 'OMG HE'S SO POWERFUL" speech despite kicking the enemy's ass in like 3 seconds), his health bar is replenished and he's ON FIRE NOW. Resume fighting, lower his health by 2/3 again, his health bar replenishes once again and now HE SPEWS LAVA TOO. You fight him again 1-2 more times like this before he actually dies. OMG SUCH SUSPENSE, VERY COMBAT DESIGN, SO EXCITEMENT

Or even worse: round 2 comes only after you lower the boss' health to zero.

latest

Extremely long periods (especially following a boss fight) where you aren't given an opportunity to save. This happens in Jap shit all the fucking time.

Dexter

Arcane
  • Grinding that wastes a player's time to make a game appear longer.
  • Procedurally generated content in general (If you didn't put in the time to design that level or planet and the story/events/quests around it and left it to an algorithm, it's probably not worth wasting my time exploring it)
  • Inventory and weight limits (I want to play your game to see the story, do the quests and for combat and tactical reasons, not to play inventory Tetris and have to constantly take a forced break to sort through the inventory and go sell every 20 minutes). Be more like Piranha Bytes.
  • Games that make every useless item or decoration pick-uppable.
  • MMO-type quest design "Collect 25 bunny teeth"; "Kill 37 Velociraptors", here's some bullshit reason why.
  • Repeatable activity types of the sort where you have to climb to the roof of something for 250 times or take out some sort of outpost again and again for 150 times like often seen in UbiSoft games, and constantly respawning enemies.
  • Wasting a player's time with bullshit design or mechanics in general.
  • Gender-studies graduates and similar monstrosities as writers.
  • "One corridor" level design. On the other hand also "Open World" level design when a game doesn't require it and it's just some boring shit e.g. for a good example see Mafia 2.
  • Badly designed UI, consolized interfaces and inventories or UI that takes up 75% of the screen like in some MMOs.
  • Forced stealth sections and the likes.
  • "Rogue-like".

Quillon

Arcane
Devs not respecting source material or their own lore; retconning; ignoring internal consistency when convenient; bringing back characters/factions only because they are popular no matter if they are dead or completed their story arcs or have no reason to be in the current area in the lore; doubling down on inconsequential things that got some traction with the fan base and using them to death in sequels.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Extremely long periods (especially following a boss fight) where you aren't given an opportunity to save. This happens in Jap shit all the fucking time.

I just died to a boss fight in Wolfenstein The New Colossus yesterday and it put me back before the normal combat encounter before said boss. Made me cuss quite a lot. The weird part is you can save anywhere in that game I believe, if you go to the menu, but there's no quick-save key.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Entering a detailed space, but being unable to interact with it.
Like in Shadowrun, the levels are well drawn, but you can't interact with anything. You can't sit on a chair, you can't flush the toilet, you can't loot a flower from the pot, stupid little things like that. I much prefer the useless, but existing interactivity of Divinity Original Sin.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Like in Shadowrun, the levels are well drawn, but you can't interact with anything. You can't sit on a chair, you can't flush the toilet, you can't loot a flower from the pot, stupid little things like that. I much prefer the useless, but existing interactivity of Divinity Original Sin.
You are basically describing the infinite engine and its clones...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
People who say E-xp. You do not pronounce the word E-xperience, just say xp :obviously:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You are basically describing the infinite engine and its clones...

Infinity Engine, you mean. And yes, the games where everything is just background and you are basically only interacting with other characters and never the environment are very flawed and bug me. Doesn't mean they aren't good games, but it means that aspect of them is bad.

cosmicray

Savant
  • Inventory and weight limits (I want to play your game to see the story, do the quests and for combat and tactical reasons, not to play inventory Tetris and have to constantly take a forced break to sort through the inventory and go sell every 20 minutes). Be more like Piranha Bytes.
  • Games that make every useless item or decoration pick-uppable.
Are you a hoarder? If you can pick up everything, it doesn't mean you should.

v1rus

Arcane

are there more bros with similar opinions?

v1rus

Arcane
the tolerance for unoriginality everyone seems to have
people not knowing what art direction is
no one except a few people understanding writing
people caring more about graphics than gameplay
minigames, romances, housing and other feature bloat
people equating mass popularity with quality

and above all... the willingness of people to lower their standards for every breadcrumb thrown their way

Je l ovo pričaš o Srbiji, ili o igrama. :negative:

Beastro

Arcane
People who bitch about winner take all PVP in games that are explicitly designed to have PVP function like this. Theres a couple different variants of these fags that show up depending on the game. In MMORPGs their complaint is usually simply that there are consequences for losing, they dont like that, or that meany PVP bullies can kill them while they're sex LARPing or whatever, basically they want to be able to opt out of PVP gameplay whenever it suits them. Whatever.

the more egregious kind shows up, bizarrely, in games like DayZ. Their complaint that people kill them, in a game centered around killing people and taking their shit, is usually dressed up as "oh, you didnt make any efforts to have a ~MEANINGFUL INTERACTION~ with me before you killed me..... im not angry its just boring... " Sorry faggot, I have friends IRL, im here to play the game and win, which involves us shooting you in the face as soon as we see you and taking your nice things, not have a barroom conversation over voip with some awkward german dork.

The inverse are PvPers who have no regard for the welfare of their server or the game as a whole and just kill people incessantly until they've cleared a server, then bitch no one plays the game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Related to audio aspects, I know that many will disagree but:

- Continuous music.

Music should happen only in specific moment where it can really contribute to the mood of the game. If the music is playing continuously, every potential strengths is automatically defused. More over, continuous music is simply annoying. For Pete's sake, even good music at the level of Beethoven became unbearable when listened for 30+ hours.
I hate non-stop music in particular in fantasy RPGs, where it is usually obnoxious generic fake orchestral epic music. Particular offenders are also some JRPGs where not only the music is continuous, you cannot switch it off too.
Some examples of music well integrated in the gameplay: Half-life, Portal, Thief.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing that is worse than unskippable cutscenes: unmutable music.
Thief 2 became unplayable to me when, unlike Thief 1, I couldn't turn down the ambient sounds (which is closer to music than "organic" sounds). It's especially grating when you use headphones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom