Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Ulfhednar

Savant
Do Minsc change a hamster each third year or does he carry around a stuffed corpse of Boo?
First inventory slot is a time-dilated pocket plane when occupied by a giant space hamster. Canon, I swear!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY and a fairly positive reception to Divinity: Fallen Heroes to this post getting a bunch of Prosper ratings? :P

Come on people, they really couldn't have picked a better developer for this except maybe Owlcat (but then it wouldn't be turn-based). Wizards of the Coast are finally making a high class D&D CRPG for the first time in a decade.

Almost enough is not enough.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

bussinrounds

Augur
Hmmm... some of my friends who dislike reflex-based gameplay also dislike RTwP.
Maybe there's a connection there... or maybe they want to take their sweet time planning every step.
I personally don't care, I like both TB and RTwP the same.
Feedback is big. I like to know about all the actions/rolls when they're happening. Not having to scroll back in the combat log to see what the fuck just happened after all that chaos on my screen.

bussinrounds

Augur
When Atari acquired the DnD video game license, that move killed the Black Hound, right?

P.S. I'm still waiting for Sawyer's promised NWN2 Black Hound module :|
Fuck the Black Hound, they killed a lot more than that.... (taken from the Tim Cain codex interview https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8416 )

We5qI9.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
Hmmm... some of my friends who dislike reflex-based gameplay also dislike RTwP.
Maybe there's a connection there... or maybe they want to take their sweet time planning every step.
I personally don't care, I like both TB and RTwP the same.
Feedback is big. I like to know about all the actions/rolls when they're happening. Not having to scroll back in the combat log to see what the fuck just happened after all that chaos on my screen.
ToEE handled it extremely well, PoE 1 & 2 are close contenders on this.
IIRC, ToEE combat logs are pretty compact but everything is linkified and you can click it for detailed information on rolls, etc.,
ToEE having an entire ingame manual and so much being linkified like a wiki was complete incline, the game in general was ahead of its time

hexer

ToEE having an entire ingame manual and so much being linkified like a wiki was complete incline, the game in general was ahead of its time

Tim Cain's a smart dude.. when I met him at a game dev conference,
we talked about psychology which was surprising for me.
He's definitively thinking about all aspects that come into gameplay.

Delterius

Arcane

Incantatar

Cipher
I hope they're aware how important the magic system was in the games. They can't just give us circumcised MMO shit and call it BG3. I want my mage battles! No other CRPG can hold BG2's water in that regard.

hexer

I hope they're aware how important the magic system was in the games. They can't just give us circumcised MMO shit and call it BG3. I want my mage battles! No other CRPG can hold BG2's water in that regard.

BG 2 with Sword Coast Stratagems II and Tactics

:shredder:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
BG2 style mage battles aren't going to happen with 5e rules, those kinds of spells just don't exist.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
All I want is a Protection from Undead spell that lets me buttfuck a lich with Daystar spam, and I'm fine.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thats the greatest fault of new rules and a feature that made Bg games stand out, and was never again reached let alone surpassed.
I would guess the enhanced and improved elemental mechanics of DoS games could possibly be a replacement ... but i dont believe Larian would improve them as needed.
In DoS2 they went the other way by adding more nonsensical "elements" while not increasing the interactions, combinations and options, while making it all less significant and more of a bloated visual effects spam.

Zeriel

Arcane
BG2 style mage battles aren't going to happen with 5e rules, those kinds of spells just don't exist.

TBH 2E AD&D is really its own unique and peculiar beast, its why although I know lots of people love 3E I personally didn't pay much attention to it (D&D) after the huge catalogue of 2E stuff was abandoned.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

TBH 2E AD&D is really its own unique and peculiar beast, its why although I know lots of people love 3E I personally didn't pay much attention to it (D&D) after the huge catalogue of 2E stuff was abandoned.
It wasn't like BG2 mage battles would have been possible with just the spells in the 2nd ed. PHB either, Bioware had to dig into a whole bunch of splatbooks of questionable quality to find them. If a tabletop player had tried to pull some of the spell combos that NPC mages did in BG2 they would have been booted from most tables for munchkinism.

Tabletop games back then had a very different approach to balance than is normal now. Game designers didn't hesitate to add new character features without considering if they would be too strong in combination, because it was expected that players would self-moderate and not create overpowered characters, and that DM's would punish the ones that did it anyway.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I agree and 2E ADnD is still the best version of DnD ever made, in my opinion. There's so much to it. A 2nd Edition CRPG would be so fucking cool (yes I know they will never bring it back).

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll never forget the moment I found out Demogorgon was immune to Time Stop

:salute:

That one wasn't such a big shock... I mean it still was, but given who he is, it kind-of wasn't. What was a real shock was Balthasar being immune and being able to use his stances - that one was where my eyes really widened.

Ah... good times. :)

hexer

I'll never forget the moment I found out Demogorgon was immune to Time Stop

:salute:

That one wasn't such a big shock... I mean it still was, but given who he is, it kind-of wasn't. What was a real shock was Balthasar being immune and being able to use his stances - that one was where my eyes really widened.

Ah... good times. :)

Hahaha.. casting Time Stop against them meant you just granted them 4 extra rounds to beat the crap out of your party for free XD

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
AD&D 2nd Edition is David Zeb Cook's reorganization and rationalization of AD&D 1st Edition, to give it a clarity and consistency that had been lacking.

Perhaps you're thinking of the mass of optional material released over the decade following the AD&D 2nd Edition core rulebooks, but you would have been hard-pressed to find two DMs who used the same modifications to the core rules.

Azarkon

Arcane
Spell battles of the type Baldur's Gate 2 had would not be possible, as previously said.

On the other hand, 5th edition does still have many powerful combinations of talents, abilities, and spells, that were they to be implemented, would feel fairly insane.

I'm not going to mention the optimal damage builds, which are obviously stupid, but are not anything out of the ordinary for Larian.

But take this, for instance: 14th level necromancers in 5th edition get an ability called Command Undead that takes control of ANY undead with intelligence lower than 12 permanently. The necromancer can only have one such "pet" at a time but it works on challenge rating 20 nightwalkers and challenge rating 15 mummy lords. Since this is a base feature of the specialization, the chances of it being implemented is fairly high, which indicates Larian will either have to house rule the effect to not last forever, or they'll have to allow necromancers to take control of powerful undead in their game and take them any where.

Then there's the old wizard special, Simulacrum, which is as ridiculous as ever in allowing you to create a copy of anything with no equipment and half the health, requiring an almost certain house rule to prevent infinite spell casting like in Baldur's Gate 2.

There's also the Archdruid, which get infinite wild shape and thus a full heal any time he wants.

And so on, so forth. It's up to Larian to decide what they implement, obviously. But the rule set has potential to be almost as broken as 2nd edition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom