Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
People talk liked diamonds grow in trees when, in fatc, they exist in mines, and the only mines in the game are corrupted and poison. How many diamonds does the player find in BG1?
IDK about diamond but in BG1 you can literaly find magical rings and gems in tree and rock. So maybe they do grow on trees ?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People talk liked diamonds grow in trees when, in fatc, they exist in mines, and the only mines in the game are corrupted and poison. How many diamonds does the player find in BG1?
IDK about diamond but in BG1 you can literaly find magical rings and gems in tree and rock. So maybe they do grow on trees ?
There's a diamond hidden in a tree on the exact same map that Gorion is killed, so... yeah.

PapaPetro

And a perfectly (lawful) good lvl 18 cleric Tethtoril waiting back in Candlekeep to perform the rez.

Ziggy

Scholar
The only thing that is not enhanced is initiative, which will be decided based solely by dexterity.

for 5e there is variant greyhawk initiative, with it being rolled every round, and the die depending on equipped weapon. Basically speed factor. Pretty good, but unwiedly at the table. Would be nice in a videogame but lol its not gonna happen

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A little less stress me for on E3 week. Unless they plan on going there too?

BTW this is like the third time Pathfinder: Kingmaker releases something on the same day as another similar major RPG

Last edited:

biggestboss

Liturgist
3fLPRi7.png

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm pretty fine with Larian making a Baldur's Gate. There are a lot of developers I would not trust, but Larian is within my circle of trust, based objectively on recent game portfolios. I don't even think I trust Obsidian with it (even before Microsoft). I think I would trust... the members of Troika, inXile, and Larian.

And, no, MCA is not the key to BGIII. Well, I dunno if BGIII is going to be story-heavy, but the BGs were err in the middle between PS:T and Icewind Dale. So what BGIII needs is solidity and competence in story AND gameplay, as opposed to a specialized manner of development.

PS:T can have shit combat and has an excuse for it. Icewind Dale can have shit story and has an excuse for it. The Baldur's Gates can't have either one be shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
I just looked over new 5th edition rules and the little part ive seen looks nifty.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content

They even have reactions mechanic in combat, which is very similar to my own ideas and dastardly plans. Those will handle all the attacks of opportunity and similar moves, in addition to the normal actions.
The whole system is made specifically for turn based combat, but it seems its taken the best from ToEE implementation and even improved on it.
Now you can move and attack, but you can combine movement and actions as you like - as long as the skills and attributes allow it. And even combine different ways of moving such as swimming or flying and attacking in between, if you want to.
You can go prone and even crawl while you are prone, at twice the cost of regular movement.
Enemy physical space is regulated nicely too, as size of bodies matters in logical ways and they even use that to clarify what and how can block a passage or a doorway.

The only thing that is not enhanced is initiative, which will be decided based solely by dexterity.

I dont see any reason why two attributes couldnt be used, appropriately for every class. So fighters should get initiative based on dexterity and constitution, while mages should use dexterity and intelligence.
And similar for other classes. Then just get some average or something.... it can be a very simple formula.

It seems more natural, reasonable and believable, while it would prevent dexterity being the best attribute - again, and give the usually dump attributes more use and value.

I can see some mechanics from DoS fitting very nicely in such a system.
Spent a good amount of time reading through the 5E ruleset -- looks like an all around improvement and practically begging to be turned into a turn-based video game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I mean. Not really. BG2's gameplay is much more about game knowledge and 'I have the +5 Greatsword of Doom so I win!' than it is about RTS gameplay. They look similar only on surface level, this hypothesis doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The fact that he talks about LAN multiplayer when BG2 multiplayer was a thing that barely anyone played, says a lot about how nonsensical this tweet is

If supposed spiritual successors to BG2 feel like 'soulless cover bands' it has nothing to do with the things he says it is about. It's really quite easy to explain: they don't know how to replicate what they're trying to replicate. You don't have to go all edgyboi with 'muh zeitgeist' to explain this.

I agree that there is something a bit off about Felipe's tweet there. I don't think that Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 'understood the Zeitgeist of the time', it's just that Black Isle acquired the D&D license and wanted BioWare to develop a D&D game, and BioWare had an RTS engine that they used to build an RPG on top of. I think it was just a happy accident - multiplayer included.

I do think that the devs who've tried to riff off BG haven't understood how the RTS roots of the engine benefited the gameplay.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I think Felipe just likes saying zeitgeist. No review of BG1 at the time put extra emphasis on its RTS roots, reviewers merely noted that it worked. The praise was directed at its faithful AD&D adaptation and sense of adventuring, traits also (and rightly) remembered today.

Similarly, Deus Ex's forerunner was not The Matrix. If there was an inspiration for the game it was the X-Files, as noted by Warren Spector; and if you have to invoke the zeitgeist then sure, the anticipation around the year 2000 itself was quite the spectacle at the time.

Fairfax

Arcane

for 5e there is variant greyhawk initiative, with it being rolled every round, and the die depending on equipped weapon. Basically speed factor. Pretty good, but unwiedly at the table. Would be nice in a videogame but lol its not gonna happen
I've been using it at my table for a while now. None of the players found it unwieldy, and most are new to RPGs. It would be nice in a CRPG indeed, but yes, it's not gonna happen, especially with Larian behind it.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I just looked over new 5th edition rules and the little part ive seen looks nifty.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#content

They even have reactions mechanic in combat, which is very similar to my own ideas and dastardly plans. Those will handle all the attacks of opportunity and similar moves, in addition to the normal actions.
The whole system is made specifically for turn based combat, but it seems its taken the best from ToEE implementation and even improved on it.
Now you can move and attack, but you can combine movement and actions as you like - as long as the skills and attributes allow it. And even combine different ways of moving such as swimming or flying and attacking in between, if you want to.
You can go prone and even crawl while you are prone, at twice the cost of regular movement.
Enemy physical space is regulated nicely too, as size of bodies matters in logical ways and they even use that to clarify what and how can block a passage or a doorway.

I dont see any reason why two attributes couldnt be used, appropriately for every class. So fighters should get initiative based on dexterity and constitution, while mages should use dexterity and intelligence.
And similar for other classes. Then just get some average or something.... it can be a very simple formula.

It seems more natural, reasonable and believable, while it would prevent dexterity being the best attribute - again, and give the usually dump attributes more use and value.

I can see some mechanics from DoS fitting very nicely in such a system.

Too much of 5e requires player input, you'd basically be asking players if they wanted to do things every single time anyone on another turn did anything.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I expect BG3 to be a 3rd person action RPG. That lets it:
  • Appeal to the broadest possible audience (Stadia surely wants to do this)
  • Avoid creating brand confusion with the Original Sin series by avoiding similar perspective
  • Is a great opportunity for Larian to get further into popamole cash-money land
  • Expands the capabilities of the studio in a way that is instantly recognizable as a benefit ("is that the studio who does those old-style games" vs "is that that studio that made D&D witcher?")
  • Keeps the lights on, can't be easy running that many different physical locations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom