Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Make it about Viconia's life between BG 1 and 2. A Dance with Rogues drow style.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I literally rolled a new character every time I died. It's why I have 90 hours on BG1 and I finished it once.

:shredder:

You're a real masochist, aren't you ?

ky9Vj0c.jpg

And I didn't enjoy a single solitary minute of it.
Good. Joy is overrated.

Incantatar

Cipher
I literally rolled a new character every time I died. It's why I have 90 hours on BG1 and I finished it once.

:shredder:

You're a real masochist, aren't you ?

ky9Vj0c.jpg

And I didn't enjoy a single solitary minute of it.
Good. Joy is overrated.
Playing BG ironman is a great experience. I almost finished the trilogy once, got killed in the final battle. BG1 is the easiest part.

Mortmal

Arcane
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
we all agree that hope is the mind killer

I'm trying to fortify myself for the probable despair. In the sense that WOTC at least got something right with 5E (I hear R.A. Salvatore had a hand in it). Kinda like a form of mental lubrication for the eventual butthurt I suppose.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
for 5e there is variant greyhawk initiative, with it being rolled every round, and the die depending on equipped weapon. Basically speed factor. Pretty good, but unwiedly at the table. Would be nice in a videogame but lol its not gonna happen
Equipped weapons can be a good addition to the initiative roll, but it would be even better with mutliple stats used to determine it.
There is always an issue with most of attributes being dump stats for specific class or build, so if more are included in such features that solves that problem and it makes the whole thing a bit more plausible and naturally clear and logical.
If i ever make a game all attributes will have multiple roles in various mechanics and synergize with each other, which is how things do work naturally and everyone are aware of it. So it wouldnt be a strange complicated mechanic thats difficult to figure out.

Spent a good amount of time reading through the 5E ruleset -- looks like an all around improvement and practically begging to be turned into a turn-based video game.
If Larian can make a deal to include their elemental mechanics for example, it could turn to be pretty sweet. No doubt the coop will be added too. Huge selling attraction, alongside the elemental shenanigans.
Although those need to be improved and made to choke the whole screen less. But that also should be done for all visual effects anyway.

Too much of 5e requires player input, you'd basically be asking players if they wanted to do things every single time anyone on another turn did anything.
But thats what the game has as advantage over pure PnP as it can calculate all that in advance.
And reactions mechanics deal with such "character reacts to enemy action" according to character stats and skills, not the player input, already in 5e.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
5E is very nice, but I still prefer 3.5E/Pathfinder because it's more in-depth and complex.

A suitable metaphor might be... 3.5E is the LOTR books, 5E is the movies. The movies are great fun, and easy to understand. But a lot of the depth that was present in the books is missing. But, also, the books are a little difficult to get through at times, boring even, and you can get bogged down when exploring the 500th time Gimli hews an Orc's head off.

I'm not certain that 5E is the best for a CRPG but I think it could work.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am assuming they will have to use 5e anyway.
Additionally, for such a high profile game and potential mass appeal i would think that the TSR and the Wizards would want to push their latest new system to get additional marketing.

The thing is, no system made for PnP can be directly and completely transcribed into a game which is entirely different medium. A CRPG cannot possibly work just like a PnP system. So you always have various adjustments, additions, changes and so on. And veering off the general lore and history account of events in the PnP setting.

Whats most important is that the rules provide a good base, on which the game is built on with its own additional features and mechanics specific for a video game.
And that is ofcourse, the real question here. What is Larian going to add and what they will be allowed to add, depending on the deal they made, and what will they improve and enhance of their own systems which could possibly be added on top of DnD, such as obvious co-op features and elemental magic combinations. Will they go with AC armor system, which is too simplistic, or will they add their own abomination armor mechanics or maybe change and improve those.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No review of BG1 at the time put extra emphasis on its RTS roots, reviewers merely noted that it worked. The praise was directed at its faithful AD&D adaptation and sense of adventuring, traits also (and rightly) remembered today.

Indeed. I didn't put much thought into the subject either other than that the transition from WC2 felt really smooth until Pillars of Eternity came along and it made me think about why it didn't feel right.

Saxon1974

Prophet

I like 4e. Each edition did something a bit different and no edition is better they all just play a bit different and some are more suited to a person play style.

Ruleset used for the game won't matter much though I agree especially if they are real time. Real time baldurs gate doesn't feel much like playing d&d tabletop

Quillon

Arcane
IIRC, Swen said they were working on a very different game around the time DOS2 released...turns out its another high fantasy :P I thought they were gonna tackle syfy or something.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They dont have the balls for that, and even if they did, it would be just another fantasy in a futuristic setting.

Reveal is tomorrow, i guess. Shame its going be just some marketing splurge without any real info on specifics.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also:

Baldur's Gate I & II are great RPGs, but they also understood the zeitgeist of the time: they combined extremely popular RTS games like WarCraft II + AD&D at the height of its popularity + LAN multiplayer.

:brofist:

Hm, let me try using the Zeitgeist formula of success.

"Extremely popular Game of Thrones" + "D&D/80s Nostalgia" + "Co-op" = BG3

Not that I condone it, but this actually could've been BG3 if Larian wasn't famous for its childish cartoonish graphics.

By the way, Stadia is actually the perfect fit for this. They have a huge input lag, but TB games don't care about it.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Extremely popular like "fans" writing petition for rewrites of whole seasons? lol
That ship ain't gonna sail anymore. And the low magic grim dark setting doesn't vibe very well with DnD/80s adventure nostalgia.

btw, ive never heard that Lan multiplayer was a big thing for BG games. Ive played it but you really needed to hasle people to get along and it wasn't that easy to set it up at someones home for days either.

It came at the right time when more and more people got computers able to play such a game and provided them with a sprawling world and adventures which was a novelty for most - with a twist of not being forced to be a goody two shoes hero, in epic fantasy with a darker angle story led by very good villains. As i already pointed out, those were the ingredients that spiritual successors missed.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Was there ever a third action DND rpg?
Neverwinter MMO. It's actually not bad at all, at least when I played it.
Somehow a F2P MMO ended up being the best D&D licensed game in almost 20 years.
I haven't been able to decide which is the greatest headscratcher about Neverwinter:

a. Dragonborn, tieflings, wood elves, sun elves, and drow are all free, while the most common non-human race in the Realms is relegated to a $60 pack.
b. Closing the Foundry.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom