Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Meanwhile some dude on Steam who wrote a good review says he is totally not a paid shill, but really wants to be one.

"Oh by the way im not friends with Devs and as stated i purchased this game but rest assured i would gladly be friends with the devs and accept free games for the purpose of reviewing them....save a bit of money in my pocket."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discussions/0/1642038749324736940/

Terenty

Liturgist
Can we now officially proclaim UA the worst, most shitty, godawful excuse of a game ever released on any platform of all time?

Curratum

It's definitely not the worst game but when you're making relatively informed decisions about games you can't run into the most awful games of all time.

UA is definitely the biggest lie / scam / fraud in gaming so far, though. That will be until Chris R. finally has to face the music and has to tell people in plain words that what they have been promising for a decade is simply not happening.

Talk to more publishers? I thought every publisher on earth was already knocking down the gates to get the pleasure of publishing SS3?!?

Glic2000

Educated
WTF is their unannounced project? They have time/money to work on ANOTHER game!?

Is it going to be a pay-to-win mobile game based in the System Shock universe? Because that's about the size of the slap in the face I'm expecting at this point.

Nyast

Cipher
Aaaaaand....drumrolls. OS will pitch a brandnew unannounced project to publishers at E3 2019.

We’ll be at E3 but not presenting anything publicly! A few of us are going as an opportunity to talk to more publishers about SS3 as well as pitch the unannounced project we’re working on.

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/otherside-alle3-2019/10081/2

:bounce:

It's kind of baffling; UA was a disaster, SS3 lost its publisher, but they're... working on a new project ?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
In a December 2017 update I think, one of the viewers asked about Thief and the bald guy said to keep an eye out for news. So........idk. But if they fuck up Thief like they did this, I'm gonna be pissed.

Nyast

Cipher
WTF is their unannounced project? They have time/money to work on ANOTHER game!?

Is it going to be a pay-to-win mobile game based in the System Shock universe? Because that's about the size of the slap in the face I'm expecting at this point.

Nah could be worse, they could put their hands on another classic franchise like Thief.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
34529042_1179433315532087_8942276726663151616_o.png

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee

Nah could be worse, they could put their hands on another classic franchise like Thief.

FFS, as if Thief 4 was not was not bad enough they may want to kill off the Thief franchise completely too? I've never seen such wanton vandalism in the gaming industry, ever, there should be a governing body to prevent *has been* clowns like these from working in the industry again, whatever talent they had has long since evaporated ... give them jobs at Macdonalds or something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Otherside Boston hired a new Senior AI Programmer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gareth-cox-2308835/

Previously worked at Rockstar New England over 11 years:

I primarily worked on the animal behaviors and animation for Red Dead Redemption. I worked on enemy AI combat and animation for Max Payne 3. I implemented human locomotion avoidance and vehicle navigation for GTA 5.

Somehow they've been hiring much needed experienced and specialized programmers.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
i think lobar has unrealistic expectations from developers.

I actually have pretty low expectations. How about having enemies that simply walk towards you and attack when you encounter them?

6 months after launch, you can still mow them down with magic and they are not even turning their heads. (30:15)

By the way, 30 year old games could do this:

Efe

Erudite
lobar they are shooting at another group there..
i'd understand if you complain about 1 minute later when an npc just walks over them which pushes them off the cliff instantly but skeletons shooting another group of enemies is bad since when?
u have low expectations but 1 month for a creature seems long to you (link says "a couple" though)? what i your expected time frame for such a job?

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Efe: The player kills several skeletons one by one and they don't even notice it. They don't take cover, shoot back or do anything. It's ridiculous.

On your second point, yes I think "a couple of months" is quite a lot of time for one type of creature, but I don't have much knowledge of programming, so I might well be wrong here.

Nyast

Cipher
It depends on how much attention is given to the creature. A low-poly model with basic texturing could be a week or two, however to make a creature with a high poly model, sculpted and baked for normal maps, then fully skinned and animated, could easily take a few months indeed.

The real problem is that UA's creatures look like generic stock assets. I'm not saying they are; I'm sure they're custom. But the end result looks generic. You could go on the Unity or Unreal store and get much higher quality, fully textured and animated assets, for $100 or less. See for yourself ( UE4 store ):

https://www.unrealengine.com/market...reature&sortBy=relevancy&sortDir=DESC&start=0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom