Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Realms Beyond Kickstarter Update #20: Reactive Dialogues and New Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

It's been quite a while since we last had a major Realms Beyond development update, but worry not, the game is still alive. Ceres even received a nice visit from Josh Sawyer last week, who had plenty of praise for what he saw. It'll be some time yet before the game is ready for release, but the team has been hard at work filling its world with quests and locations. To achieve that they've made use of a sophisticated dialogue editor, which is the topic of today's Kickstarter update. It also includes a new batch of screenshots, which I'll post before the excerpt:

In the weeks since the last update, we’ve been hard at work designing quests and locations. And to make sure that our quests are as good as they can be and offer the highest possible degree of reactivity towards the player character, we’ve also improved our dialogue system and added a handful of new features to it.

In this update, we’re going to show you the new features of the dialogue system, as well as screenshots of some beautiful new locations we’ve added to the world of Argea. The section of the update that shows off the dialogue tool will contain minor spoilers for early content in the game, as well as a side quest later in the game. If you wish to avoid such spoilers, please take note of the warnings and skip ahead.

In an RPG, it is important that the game recognizes the player’s character build. And since Realms Beyond allows the player to create (or to recruit) a party of six characters, a diverse party should mean that NPCs react differently to each of them. Different characters should also be able to react differently to NPC statements. While most characters might agree with the assessment that orcs are savage barbarians, a half-orc character might object to such a statement.

Dialogue options can depend on many things: the player character’s gender, race, class, ability scores, skills, equipment, current status effects, faction reputation, and more. If you want to find a peaceful solution with the orcs, letting your half-orc do the talking might be a good idea. Similarly, in a village where everyone is prejudiced towards elves because of an old grudge that has never been forgotten, an elven or half-elven character will have a harder time winning the sympathies of the populace.

[...] During your travels through Argea, you will come upon several wizards living in solitary towers, dedicated to their research. One of these wizards, a man named Obalor, tells you about his rivalry with a fellow sorceress named Jeralis. Many years ago, she lost her eyes in an accident, and went on to craft a pair of enchanted emeralds to return her sight. Wizards all across the realm have wondered how she fashioned that enchantment, and Obalor is determined to find it out. He hires the player party to take Jeralis’ emerald eyes and bring them to him, so he can examine the enchantment and learn his rival’s technique.

If the player accepts the quest, he must travel to Jeralis’ tower and get his hands on her emerald eyes. One way to do this is to engage her in dialogue and convince her that he himself is an arcane researcher and interested in studying the enchantment. Jeralis isn’t opposed to borrowing her eyes to someone interested in the workings of their enchantment, but the player’s character doesn’t quite strike her as a magical researcher.

This is where more complex conditions come in. If the player’s character is a highly intelligent wizard, he (or she) can easily convince her of being a researcher himself. If the player’s character is a wizard, but has only average rather than exceptional intelligence for his class, he’ll have to bluff a little to make her believe him. And if the player’s character is not a wizard, he’ll have to bluff a lot.

Our scripting system allows us to make dialogue checks as complex as we need them to be for any given quest situation. We can check the player character’s gender, race and class. We can check the player character’s attributes and skills. We can check the player’s equipment, and whether she’s wearing something on an equipment slot at all: a guard might demand your character take her helmet off before she enters the throne room, as it would be rude to enter the royal chambers with a covered head. It is as simple as checking for the condition of BAREHEADED being false.

This powerful scripting system allows us to recognize any state a player character may be in, and have NPCs acknowledge everything that is appropriate for them to comment on (like a dwarf reacting favorably toward a fellow dwarf and skeptically toward an elf, a priestess mentioning you should take your boots off before you enter the inner sanctum, a merchant greeting you as a colleague because your character is a member of the merchants’ guild, etc). It also allows for creative quest solutions. Let’s imagine a magic mirror that guards a magically locked door. You can interact with it, but looking into it doesn’t do anything. In another chamber of the dungeon you find out that the door only opens for those who stare into the mirror with blinded eyes – you can cast a spell of blinding upon your character, interact with the mirror while the BLIND condition is true, and the door will open!

As for the quest to get Jeralis’ emerald eyes – there are approaches other than asking her and bluffing, such as intimidation, combat and stealth, but how exactly those can be pulled off is up to you to find out when you play the game! Our quests generally offer at least two possible solutions, usually more. Every player will have a different party and follow a different playstyle, so we try to add multiple solutions and decisions to each quest to offer a large amount of choice to the player – and, of course, a high degree of replayability.
If they can actually maintain this level of reactivity throughout the entire game (which is a big if of course) then this is going to be very cool. Remember that the dialogue editor is going to be released to the public, so whatever happens there's definitely a lot of potential here.

In the screenshot before the last, there is a XIX century painting in the house. Are you guys trying to take on Gothic with it's out of place paintings?

User0001

Savant
Game s' gonna be great!

Turn-based low-level D&D exploration with high world and story reactivity. Not that cartoonish Divine Divinity reactivity, but a danker and thicker experience.

It tastes good.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm I might forgive them for allowing Cuckwyer in their company premises
Firing Jarl, allowing Josh "Buzzkill" Sawyer onto the premises, what's next? Some things aren't forgivable.

The, "In principle I wouldn't fire Jarl, it is only in practice that I would fire him, but he resigned anyway so it doesn't matter" PSA we got didn't improve my opinion of them.

I guess it had the benefit of being honest.

Andhaira

Arcane
What's the highest level you can go in this game?

And do you make your entire party from scratch or only 1 PC and get the rest as companions?

Andhaira

Arcane
You make your entire party from scratch.

Are you adding PRCs? Its great what you are doing but vanilla 3.5e is quite boring now; I know you are using the SRD but perhaps you can use stuff like the PHBII Feats as inspiration to add similar stuff and also add in PRCs from the SRD if nothing else. Note that we never got PRCs from ToEE and its always been a missed oppertunity IMO (NWN had them but that was RTwP and not a great implementation of the ruleset)

ikarinokami

Augur
I hope they add PRCs, 3.5 base classes are super dry have a ton of dead levels. either way, I'm super excited for this game, a true successor to TOEE.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope they add PRCs, 3.5 base classes are super dry have a ton of dead levels. either way, I'm super excited for this game, a true successor to TOEE.

I believe they're thinking about it/working on it:

Yeah, possible prestige classes are: Arcane Archer, Arcane Trickster, Archmage, Assassin, Blackguard, Cerebremancer, Dragon Disciple, Duelist, Dwarven Defender, Eldritch Knight, Elocater, Hierophant, Horizon Walker, Loremaster, Metamind, Mystic Theurge, Psion Uncarnate, Psionic Fist, Pyrokineticist, Shadowdancer, Slayer, Thaumaturgist, Thrallherd, War Mind.

Source: https://www.realms-beyond.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
What's the connection between this and IE games that you call it an IE game?
Sorry, should have elaborated. I was refering to the top-down isometric perspective, the visuals that is. The authors themselves got very inspired by other IE games, so that had me think about it as an IE-esque game. What sold me, was the other inspirations they called out to in their KS campaign, and the fact that the combat was turn-based.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Zmgz8Sp.jpg

God daym
:shredder:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UNBELIEVABLE! FEMALE PRONOUN! TEXTS MUST ONLY BE ADDRESSED TO MALES

*They used sometimes "he" and sometimes "she". The PC can be either anyway

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's the connection between this and IE games that you call it an IE game?
Sorry, should have elaborated. I was refering to the top-down isometric perspective, the visuals that is. The authors themselves got very inspired by other IE games, so that had me think about it as an IE-esque game. What sold me, was the other inspirations they called out to in their KS campaign, and the fact that the combat was turn-based.

When talking about IE games, you talk about real time with pause combat and nothing more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom