Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You shilled hard for Egosoft on X4. Look where that got you. It's a decent-is alpha demo (much more than Star Citizen is or will be by the way) but its not even a full game.

This will be on a much bigger scale.

This is such a cucked genre of video games. SC, No Man's Sky, X4, Elite Dangerous aka Space Truck Sim.. it thrives on retards who buy blind dreams and don't wait for games to be released before opening their wallets.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is such a cucked genre of video games. SC, No Man's Sky, X4, Elite Dangerous aka Space Truck Sim.. it thrives on retards who buy blind dreams and don't wait for games to be released before opening their wallets.
Well X4 is a little different, there was a whole series of games before it, most of which were great (except the one we do not speak of) so there is a reasonable expectation.

Nu Male's Sky had nothing before it and Star Citizen is a ponzi scheme.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
svUDhbEh-770x667.jpg

Yes. :)
I am a Star Citizen obnoxious fanboy who masquerades as a "normal person" who reacts when idiocy reeking levels take new heights.
Whatever floats your boat.

Myobi

Liturgist
Nice of you to come by and support the point, although strange that you'd frame it otherwise.

Ain't you all sorts of special, it's quick math dude, too advanced for you, but who knows, maybe one day.

Edited: There, I think it's fixed, now go suck a dick will you?!

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
World of Warcraft was announced 2001 and released 2004. Before 2001 announcement they were working another few years on it. So about 8 years and including initial draft it could be even 10 years. And it was worked by huge team of people who were at the top of their game in industry in one of the industry leading studio.

Will you also claim they were incompetent ? Believe me WoW ~8 years is industry standard for MMO dev time.

Absolute bullshit. It's bad enough that you SC fanboys want to rewrite that games history, now you want to do it with others as well? Almost every external estimate of WoW's dev time is 4-5 years, and Blizzard themselves have said that work on WoW didn't begin until after Warcraft Adventures was cancelled in 1998, putting the upper bound at 6 years.

WoW developement might've been started in 1998 in earnest but there is code from all the way back to 1997 in source archives.

Myobi

Liturgist
Yeah, and the basic idea for it came up when Blizz guy was in kindergarten making shit with pasta and glue... trust me guys, technically WoW developed technically started back in the 70's.

That said, Star Citizen did nothing wrong, it's development is just like World of Wacraft, identically if you really look into it!

Hang on, weren't we going with the "stop comparing Star Citizen to other games, because SC is nothing like everything made until now", clearly I haven't spend enough money on SC to be able to understand these advance logics, time to grab my wallet!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It'll all be okay as long as no one points out that WoW was actually a complete game with hundreds if not thousands of hours of content at launch while after 8 years star citizen is still a barely playable buggy mess.

Oh wait shit. Sorry Willan :(

Perkel

Arcane
Absolute bullshit. It's bad enough that you SC fanboys want to rewrite that games history, now you want to do it with others as well? Almost every external estimate of WoW's dev time is 4-5 years, and Blizzard themselves have said that work on WoW didn't begin until after Warcraft Adventures was cancelled in 1998, putting the upper bound at 6 years.

So 6 year no ? Which is exactly what i said about MMOs developement. From 5-6 years to even 10 and more. And that is with established teams from day 1 without need to create studio.

Dude.
The main focus was supposed to be the single player campaign. The persistent universe was going to be some optional component. Now it's a full blown MMOWTFBBQ with Squadron 42 being some side bitch project.

Persistent universe is a mmo. IT always was. The scope changed but you can't do "persistent" without making mmo.

At $2mln SQ42 was main target. But game was at that point for whole few days and then went on and did 6, 8, 10, 15, 20, 30 until they reached 65mln year later finishing their campaign officially. Initial plan for $2mln version was to release SQ42 first and you are right about that. Problem is that your expectation never made any sense in light of actual crowdfunding campaign. People have like this blinders on them and can't compute that crowdfunding never ended after 6mln.

Roberts problem seems to be that he isn't dick and tries to get every streatchgoal in game which naturally extended dev time needed. For sure if they wouldn't get 200mln+ they would cut few streatchgoals from map but they are well funded and there isn't a reason why they shouldn't accomplish what they promised.

Imho SC either way will be failure. Not because of project mismanagement but because MMO part from all design i saw will have same issue as Elite. Player won't have real impact on the world. SC devs talked about AI controled assists but they never confirmed that AI will fly with you, they just said that AI will fill in ship seats in case of lack of players.

SQ42 is what i am only looking forward and not because it will be some exquisite space game like Freespace2 but funny schlock scifi romp with nice graphics.

Dude
You shilled hard for Egosoft on X4. Look where that got you. It's a decent-is alpha demo (much more than Star Citizen is or will be by the way) but its not even a full game.

Where it got me ? I perfectly knew that X4 will have rough launch like every Ego game but my shilling was for things that changed. They went from X-abortion design back to X3 design with some changes. At the end of the day bugs can be ironed out and stuff can be tightened up giving you good game and with proper mod support something which both Elite and SC won't have you will get something like X-tension or Litecube overhaul which will make it into game that both of those will never touch.

The game i got fooled by was X-rebirth but that was because Egosoft never said anything about changing main design of X series and everyone and their mother expected X4 from it now with proper UI, good graphics and some neat new stuff.

In the end most of bugs in X4 are already squashed and game is developing nicely. What they should do was to release it in Early Access because clearly game wasn't done at time of release which is proven by their first patch that landed like a week later that killed most of bugs and introduced new features fallowed by new patch 2 weeks later that also gave new features etc. And they are like that releasing new stuff every month since release.

It would spare them bad reviews but from what i know following their forums people think they were not really at great financial situation back then and they basically had to skip work and release it back then.

either way X3 Litecube is still definitive space game right now sitting at the top with huge margin. X3 problem always was poor AI pathfinding which would often crash ships you bought but Litecube fixed that (and you can use script from it to fix it for base game or any other mod). X4 is on way there and probably will reach apex. Something you can't say about any other space game right now.

Last edited:

Jigawatt

Arcane
World of Warcraft was announced 2001 and released 2004. Before 2001 announcement they were working another few years on it. So about 8 years and including initial draft it could be even 10 years.

So 6 year no ? Which is exactly what i said about MMOs developement. From 5-6 years to even 10 and more. And that is with established teams from day 1 without need to create studio.

tenor.gif

Perkel

Arcane
Sure with WoW i was slightly off base but 5 years with established top tier studio is pretty fast for MMO. For most of MMOs 5 years is minimum and there are cases reaching 10 years which was my point.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sure with WoW i was slightly off base but 5 years with established top tier studio is pretty fast for MMO. For most of MMOs 5 years is minimum and there are cases reaching 10 years which was my point.
Yeah, a longer development time than WoW. More expensive than fucking SWTOR. And look at what it's produced. And you're trying to sell this as perfectly normal for the genre. Dude, do you really expect anyone to buy that? Even if you think the game is worth what people have paid into it, or that it will eventually be a finished product, you can't sit here and tell us that this is typical for the industry. You just can't, and expect to be taken seriously.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, a longer development time than WoW. More expensive than fucking SWTOR. And look at what it's produced. And you're trying to sell this as perfectly normal for the genre. Dude, do you really expect anyone to buy that?

They are making SQ42 at the same time which eats up most of their work which you forgot again.
Secondly you again ignore that they didn't have top tier studio from start but they were like 3 people back when they started. It took them a year to finish crowdfunding campaign and get to 100+ people in 2 years.

Myobi

Liturgist
Me: Star Citizen is special! You can't compare it to any other video game out there!

Also me: Cyberpunk also took forever developing and you don't complain about it!

"mimimimi but cyberpunk isn't crowdfunded", god damnit, what did I told you? Star Citizen is special, stop comparing it to other video games!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, a longer development time than WoW. More expensive than fucking SWTOR. And look at what it's produced. And you're trying to sell this as perfectly normal for the genre. Dude, do you really expect anyone to buy that?

They are making SQ42 at the same time which eats up most of their work which you forgot again.
Secondly you again ignore that they didn't have top tier studio from start but they were like 3 people back when they started. It took them a year to finish crowdfunding campaign and get to 100+ people in 2 years.

I don't know why you pour so much time and Sisyphean effort when you could continue beta-testing X4 Foundations.
Are you a masochist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom