Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ziggy

Scholar
f4af4404cd36aecc64091d4ae46dd1a8.jpg

here's your holy symbol of Myrkul.
That ain't this, and I'm betting on Vecna, despite no eye in sight.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, two years? So it's actually quite far in development, if not nearly done! For some reason I thought they were just getting started on it.
Well that's nice.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."
:bunkertime:

hexer

"MP is back"

Main Protagonist? Bhaalspawn is back?!

I'll quote this here once again.

"The holy symbol of Myrkul was a white skull inset into a black triangle."

Skull? Check. Triangle? Check. Only the handprint does not fit.

The triangle here is inverted, Myrkul's wasn't.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
what is this symbol on the left?

My memory might be fuzzy, but isn't that fucking Myrkul's symbol?

Its the Flaming Fist. BG police.

I'll quote this here once again.

"The holy symbol of Myrkul was a white skull inset into a black triangle."

Skull? Check. Triangle? Check. Only the handprint does not fit.

Oh, and for those who missed my earlier post: the game will continue the story of both Baldur's Gate games, with the upcoming adventure "Descent into Avernus" being a not-obligatory prequel. However, CHARNAME will not be the main character.

And something I've forgotten to mention: Sven REFUSED to either confirm or deny that the new protagonist will be Bhaalspawn. Once again, something very strange is going on with the story.

Yes, sure. Looks exactly the same.

Myrkul.png

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
There was a kinda subtle hidden subplot in BG2 regarding Illithids and Githyanki. You encounter both of these groups multiple times throughout the SOA (Still haven't reach ToB yet). One such example is a group of Illithids called the Hidden which you can find a member of during Jan's personal quest. They are fighting a group of Githyanki called the Seekers who are hunting down the Hidden and they seem to have connections to some nobles of Athkatla. Others can explain it better than me and have somewhere on the Beamdog forums. I wonder if any of that is going to come into play here.

Fairfax

Arcane
There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."
:bunkertime:
:stunned:

Codex Year of the Donut
And something I've forgotten to mention: Sven REFUSED to either confirm or deny that the new protagonist will be Bhaalspawn. Once again, something very strange is going on with the story.
I don't think it will have anything to do with the Bhaalspawn saga.
I'd have preferred a different title but we all know why they picked what they did.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There was a kinda subtle hidden subplot in BG2 regarding Illithids and Githyanki. You encounter both of these groups multiple times throughout the SOA (Still haven't reach ToB yet). One such example is a group of Illithids called the Hidden which you can find a member of during Jan's personal quest. They are fighting a group of Githyanki called the Seekers who are hunting down the Hidden and they seem to have connections to some nobles of Athkatla. Others can explain it better than me and have somewhere on the Beamdog forums. I wonder if any of that is going to come into play here.

BG3 plot is a sequel of Descent into Avernus. Stop going crazy about it.

Last edited:

hexer

It's explained in detail in Planescape sourcebooks. Githyanki and Illithids wage wars in the Astral Plane all the time. The Gith were once enslaved by the mind flayers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom