Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
no more silver swords pls if there are any just shoot me *know*.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
"but there's no word on when Baldur's Gate 3 will be released, and the only platforms Larian will talk about are PC and, wait for it, Google's stream-dream, Stadia."

Only PC announced at the moment and won't be a Stadia exclusive, however epic is still out there.

Get fucked Epic.

rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif
rating_sawyer.gif

That's the most interesting bit of all this. Game will definitely be better than originals (it's not that hard) but it's a clear cash grab, going after a sequel of a well known franchise. I would prefer something completely new. It's also a shame that a company like Larian didn't get VTM license or Fallout (if you want to make a sequel use a good setting at least) for that matter but that ship has sailed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh this game apparently does NOT use Divinity Engine, from VentureBeat interview:

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is the fact that Illithids will be the main enemy enough evidence that it's going to be shit and the ruleset butchered with low level characters fighting something like Illithids?

Codex Year of the Donut
There was a kinda subtle hidden subplot in BG2 regarding Illithids and Githyanki. You encounter both of these groups multiple times throughout the SOA (Still haven't reach ToB yet). One such example is a group of Illithids called the Hidden which you can find a member of during Jan's personal quest. They are fighting a group of Githyanki called the Seekers who are hunting down the Hidden and they seem to have connections to some nobles of Athkatla. Others can explain it better than me and have somewhere on the Beamdog forums. I wonder if any of that is going to come into play here.

It's explained in detail in Planescape sourcebooks. Githyanki and Illithids wage wars in the Astral Plane all the time. The Gith were once enslaved by the mind flayers.
Githyanki were slaves then became free and thought "gee, maybe we should be just like the illithids"
and that's how Githzerai were born

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
There was a kinda subtle hidden subplot in BG2 regarding Illithids and Githyanki. You encounter both of these groups multiple times throughout the SOA (Still haven't reach ToB yet). One such example is a group of Illithids called the Hidden which you can find a member of during Jan's personal quest. They are fighting a group of Githyanki called the Seekers who are hunting down the Hidden and they seem to have connections to some nobles of Athkatla. Others can explain it better than me and have somewhere on the Beamdog forums. I wonder if any of that is going to come into play here.

It's explained in detail in Planescape sourcebooks. Githyanki and Illithids wage wars in the Astral Plane all the time. The Gith were once enslaved by the mind flayers.
I know this, was talking about a specific group of Illithids called the hidden who have contacts with nobles in Athkatla, having seen the trailer, I thought it would make sense that Illithids were infilitrating cities and we saw some evidence of that in BG2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Divinity Fallen Heroes spinoff makes more sense now if this game isn't isometric. They're giving something back to the fans who wanted more of that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh this game apparently does NOT use Divinity Engine, from VentureBeat interview:

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.
improved gamebryo from divinity 2 ?

So skyrim's engine lol

Ziggy

Scholar
Is the fact that Illithids will be the main enemy enough evidence that it's going to be shit and the ruleset butchered with low level characters fighting something like Illithids?

I ran a 5e campaign once with an Elder Brain being the main villain. Started them off with a classic, rats in taverns basement, but those were cranium rats, like in Torment (also made a rat king, a bunch of rats with their tails tangled together, and that mess levitated and shoot psychic damage). Later on had some psychic thralls troglodytes, and a deep gnome with drafted on limbs from other creatures. Then the campaign fell apart, as they do, but there's plenty of options for low level enemies that are connected to mind flayers.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
BG3 plot is a continuation of Descent into Avernus. Stop going crazy about it.

Sven confirms in an interview that the game will continue the story of both previous games, with "Descent into Avernus" serving as a non-obligatory prequel, setting up the state of the city.

Yes, because DIA is a "sequel" from the games

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...d-from-the-creators-of-divinity-original-sin/
He promises “a whole bunch of new systems” but won’t name them, pointing us to the 5th edition D&D rulebook for inspiration. “We have carte blanche and can take whatever we want. They have cool systems they’ve developed over time. When you play it you’ll start to figure out that there are many more systems than Original Sin 2 had. You can fool around and say ‘if I do this and this and this… ha! It worked!’ You’ll get that feeling.”
:lol: The butthurt when this comes out will be glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom