Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

rohand

Cipher

Starwars

Arcane
Swen's detailed commentary on the trailer: https://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-trailer-breakdown-and-easter-eggs-w/2300-6449730/

Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer Breakdown & Easter Eggs With Larian Founder
Larian Founder Swen Vincke breaks down all the hidden Easter eggs that you might have missed from the Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer.

Watch a video to see someone break down a different video. Gamespot hates actually writing anything, don't they?

It's the way this fucking generation of gamers function. If we're really lucky we can watch an audio commentary/let's play/10 coolest thing in BG3 by everyone at Larian plus special guests from Bioware and WotC, and some obnoxious streamer cunt, so we can get to know all the juicy details and secrets without having to actually play anything.

Thonius

Arcane
Where does it say "no misses"?
Read his interview on page 47 or 48 - "We tried to do 5th edition but failed, cuz it's not fun to miss"
The systems
Baldur’s Gate uses a the “real-time with pause” combat system — all the dice rolls are happening, and you can pause the action to do your next moves (or even adjust your settings to where it’s almost a turn-based RPG). Larian’s last two RPGs — the Divinity: Original Sin games — use turn-based combat.

I asked if Baldur’s Gate III would have turn-based or real-time-with-pause combat.

“This is one of those interviews where we’ll be saying ‘We’re not talking about that yet’ a lot,” Vincke said. “When it comes to the combat system, we prefer to show it to people rather than talk about it. That will hammer it home. But it will still be some time before we actually show it.”

The last game from the studio with real-time action was Divinty: Dragon Commander from 2013 … and that’s a real-time strategy affair. The earlier Divinity action-RPGs have real-time combat as well. Vincke laughed when I asked when was the last real-time game from Larian, recalling Dragon Commander.

I also asked if Baldur’s Gate III would be a faithful adaptation of the 5th edition rules, as the series’ other games are for 2nd Edition (and Neverwinter Nights is for 3rd Edition). 2015’s Sword Coast Legends (the most recent single-player D&D PC game) replaced spell slots, feats, and other abilities with skill trees, and it suffered for it.

We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”

He wouldn’t comment if it would come with a game master mode, as Divinity: Original Sin II does.
One of the best features of the Original Sin games is how different elements and terrain interact in combat. If water’s on the ground, you can cast an electricity spell to create an area-of-effect damaging effect on the puddle. Vincke said Larian is trying to do this.

“I have an example I use for this. When you play a tabletop game, often at some point the Dungeon Master is going to [ask] you, ‘What do you do?’ Video games in general are limited in what you can do. Our ambition is to make it as broad as possible, what you can do. This is literally one of the very big focuses of making the game,” Vincke said. “When it comes to combat, when you’re playing tabletop, you’ll look around you, see what’s in the environment, and try to use it. We’re putting a heavy focus on that.”

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the first 30 pages of this thread said this game will look like:

dungeons-and-dragons.png

and then there'e a guy vomiting teeth and blood in the first 5 seconds.
And where is this from, just out of curiousity? Looks like medieval Scooby Doo

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Via https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/06/...y-takes-place-after-dds-descent-into-avernus/

"One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”"
fucking nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Codex Year of the Donut

Via https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/06/...y-takes-place-after-dds-descent-into-avernus/

"One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”"
Where does it say 'no misses'?

hexer

I doubt they omitted them, they probably tweaked them so they occur, for example, 2.5% per roll instead of 5% or something like that

rohand

Cipher

Where does it say 'no misses'?

I meant that they intend to find an alternative for missing to hits with dice (when rolled vs AC I assume).
If that is a fact, then AC would serve a different purpose? Does he mean saves?

Curratum

Oh god, no... Why... :(

How can you say you're using 5E very closely and faithfully to the RaW and drop stuff like that?

himmy

Arcane
How the first 30 pages of this thread said this game will look like:

dungeons-and-dragons.png

and then there'e a guy vomiting teeth and blood in the first 5 seconds.
And where is this from, just out of curiousity? Looks like medieval Scooby Doo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons_(TV_series)

Also, full disclaimer, I would suck an inordinate amount of dick to play a proper adventure game set in a Forgotten Realms city with graphics like this.

Azarkon

Arcane
The amount of resources being devoted to this title could explain why Divine Divinity Original Sin 2 felt so cheap towards the end. Provided that is so, there is much to anticipate, and I do hope Larian succeeds, because we're due for a serious Dungeons and Dragons CRPG. I'm cautiously optimistic: 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons is solid and probably the best version of the rule set since 3.5, table top has been making a come back due to live streams, and the state of the industry is right for a break through.

The main reservations I have, for now, are the not yet announced game play format of the game, and its writing. Larian isn't bad at writing, but Baldur's Gate is a beloved franchise with a long history, and capturing the feel of that tradition will be critical when you're making a direct sequel. With game play format, I hope that they'll stick to a variation of isometric. It's not that over head camera can't work, but it's not Dungeons and Dragons, which as a table top game descended from war games, is fundamentally built around a top down tactical view.

On the other hand, Feargus must be punching himself in the nut for failing to secure a project like this.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think they will namedrop Baldur's Gate and have the game not an CRPG.

At best it will be TB/RtWP, I don't mind either.

At worst I think it will be DAO clone.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait.. so if 300 developers work on the game, there's a BIG chance we've seen a game engine cutscene :o

0 chance. You don't get that kind of lighting in real time yet.

Imagine the guys today at Owlcat like "yeah, this is a fucking good day for us today" and then... BOOM... BG3.

and then BOOM... BG3. Larian goes Bioware and leaves crpg business for Owlcat to rule freely there while Larian will be making dragon age clone hoping for big bux eventually selling itself to EA.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Oh god, no... Why... :(

How can you say you're using 5E very closely and faithfully to the RaW and drop stuff like that?

Also how the hell is that better in tabletop than on PC? If you think it's bad to keep missing then surely it's better on the PC where it can go very fast than on tabletop where you have to go through all the moves and rolls manually.

Yeah, it's nothing more than appeasing "hurr no missing cuz im speshul and cant fail" retarded newfags who don't like RPGs but for some reason want to tell people they play them.

Thonius

Arcane
WHat he said was pretty vague, and it's still in development. I wouldn't get worried yet
It's about keys, pointers and clues. That shit send's popamole clues.
The amount of resources being devoted to this title could explain why Divine Divinity Original Sin 2 felt so cheap
KICKSTARTER! They had a gig with Wizards and KICKSTARTER
IIRC that thing costs 1 million USD. I wonder who paid that. Google? Larian?
KICKSTARTER!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom