Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's a flaming fist from Baldur's Gate.

It's all about the fisting. :P

Seriously though: you squashed a few attempts from the Illithid to infiltrate Athkatla in the 2nd one, and even Jan's quest had a bump into them - this might be what this is.

And on a dead serious note: if I hear a line about some guy that said to the other guy that didn't know his name about knowing, Imma Kirby table flip that shit.

Vincke suggests the game will be heavily systems-driven and Larian will be creating its own D&D-inspired ruleset. "We'll stay true to our roots, so we'll give players lots of systems and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your personal adventure and your party's adventure. That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing. But then there will be an interpretation of D&D, because if you port the core rules—we tried it!—to a videogame, it doesn't work."

Wow, this sounds godawful. Real disappointed in the Swen.

Yeah, this is awful. A big part of why ie games (and now Kingmaker as well) worked for me is that they tried to follow the existing ruleset as close as they could in a rtwp computer game. And they can't do the same with a simpler system, and possibly even in a turn based game? Or do they think they could do better? Fuck, I'm getting PoE flashbacks here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I didn't play the originals as i was too wrapped up in mods for doom, diablo, etc.

So that's a Bhaalspawn or some mutant illithid?

Maybe instead of BG3 they should have went D&D vs Rick & Morty. (Though i don't see that as much of an rpg).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Also, does a concurrent Stadia release mean the game will built from the ground up to be played on a TV with a console controller? Because that has some fairly serious implications on the final product. I'm not saying you can't port over a CRPG to a console (the Pillars port and the Diablo 3 ports were both pretty good), but that's different from building them that way.

Yet another thing I'm not crazy about, here. Goddamn it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also, does a concurrent Stadia release mean the game will built from the ground up to be played on a TV with a console controller? Because that has some fairly serious implications on the final product. I'm not saying you can't port over a CRPG to a console (the Pillars port and the Diablo 3 ports were both pretty good), but that's different from building them that way.

Well, it being controller friendly should guarantee it's not a RTWP game at least, even though they have made no statement with regard to rtwp vs tb vs action style gameplay.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG."

why pick larian, company who only cares about writing shitty jokes and forcing memes, to do this? Maybe they'll pay some goofy brit half a million to narrate?

Sentinel

Arcane
Vincke suggests the game will be heavily systems-driven and Larian will be creating its own D&D-inspired ruleset. "We'll stay true to our roots, so we'll give players lots of systems and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your personal adventure and your party's adventure. That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing. But then there will be an interpretation of D&D, because if you port the core rules—we tried it!—to a videogame, it doesn't work."

Wow, this sounds godawful. Real disappointed in the Swen.
well there goes any interest I had. Sword Coast Legends v2.0

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I almost have to follow this with the pnp release schedule (which i am sure they planned). Will the game be a rushed mess. You sure as hell don't want a Descent to Undermountain monstrosity.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
"Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG."

why pick larian, company who only cares about writing shitty jokes and forcing memes, to do this? Maybe they'll pay some goofy brit half a million to narrate?

Okay well that settles it then, if the above quote from him is true, I'll take a hard pass.

Codex Year of the Donut

Okay well that settles it then, if the above quote from him is true, I'll take a hard pass.
I'll buy two to make up for it

Sentinel

Arcane
UiL59CY.png

Who's the dude in the cover, anyone know?

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I think you can play on Stadia with keyboard + mouse. Might be wrong(I don't know shit about the platform).

Senntinel

Novice
“We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

All this plus the no comment on the isometric probably means it's gonna be some third person action crap....

Bohr

Arcane
ITT people who aren't cool enough to post in the official General RPG Discussion megathread

New newspost coming soon.
Clearly the solution is to do away with newsposts and keep everything where it belongs +M

Tim the Bore

Scholar
If anyone still believed in Swen:

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

:prosper:

Andhaira

Arcane
“We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

All this plus the no comment on the isometric probably means it's gonna be some third person action crap....

The sad part is that Bioware ported 2e to RTwP format back in 1998; Troika ported 3.5e to TB in 2003; and these schmucks can't do the same today. Furthermore Bioware already came up with a solution for 'misses' back when they made NWN; the characters actually showed misses by actively dodging and parrying attacks (same with KOTOR a few years later that used the d20 Star Wars ruleset based on D&D also by WOTC).

I knew it was a mistake for Larian to get the license.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom