Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 announced at Google Stadia Connect event

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a perfectly valid question for all game developers, but pretty sure Gavin is just an American with a weird last name.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!

I mean what are you getting out of this?
A game system that probably is nothing like the original?
A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this? BG is just a name at that point.

You won't be getting the "old BG" out of this. No way.
Just take the old virtues and make something new (like Realms Beyond does).
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.
Still it'd be fun if the villain was the main character from the previous Baldur's Gate games, though (now turned into a god). Not the top of originality, but it could be interesting if made right, I guess.

Shin

Cipher
Was BG3 even needed?
The story is over. Go home already!

I mean what are you getting out of this?
A game system that probably is nothing like the original?
A setting that has gone through two great cataclysmic events and won't be recognizable?
A couple characters that probably shouldn't even be in the game, but get pushed as a form of fan-service?

What for? What's the point of this? BG is just a name at that point.

You won't be getting the "old BG" out of this. No way.
Just take the old virtues and make something new (like Realms Beyond does).
Larian did this already with DOS. Which gives me a little hope, but I'm afraid BG3 will lack identity.
Still it'd be fun if the villain was the main character from the previous Baldur's Gate games, though (now turned into a god). Not the top of originality, but it could be interesting if made right, I guess.

Eh, I dunno. It'd be kinda cheesy if the main char from BG would turn up every now and then and be like "HEY REMEMBER THAT TIME I... <insert random BG saga event>? THAT WAS FUN WASN'T IT?!".
All the talk about a new BG game have made me re-install and play it again for the 20th time or so. Currently just reached the city of Baldur's Gate. Still a good fucking game, RTwP or not.

This 'BG3' shit can only disappoint.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
how come every single european on twitter does nothing but retweet american politics shit?
I swear you eurofucks care more about our politics than we do

Rusty... every single fucking time you post it's like flipping a coin: do we get the amazing RPG player with the decent opinions and calm rhetoric or we get the nutjob that can't tie his own shoes without thinking how he's going to lick the bus windows.

In other words, tell your little brother to get off your account.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's worth noting that the official teaser announcement has more or less flopped. More than two hours after its submission, Larian's own video has around 20k views, with most other mirrors having less (Gamespot being an exception at 41k). This was a terrible way to announce the game.

I spoke in haste, there are too many likes on the video for the low view counts to make sense.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That's a perfectly valid question for all game developers, but pretty sure Gavin is just an American with a weird last name.
Gavin is American (Californian) born and bred.

In terms of the prosper-face comment, Gavin wrote by far the most Baldur's Gate-style characters in Torment, like the alien sexologist or the Don Quixote guy. He's a well-regarded satirical comedy writer (got his start on Cracked.com), which always struck me as the core of the banter in Baldur's Gate -- kind of National Lampoon's LARP -- and I can imagine he'd have a lot of fun with Minsc, Viconia, Edwin/Edwina, Korgan Bloodaxe, Mazzy, Garrick ... really the whole gang. Obviously, if what you want is a Dark Knight Returns darker take on the original source material (like the Black Hound or whatever the never-made sequel was), he's not your man, but if you want to go back to pygmy giant space hamsters (the single thing people remember most about the franchise), literally no one is better.

---

EDIT

I forgot Quayle!

"I am so smart! S M R T! I—I mean S M A R T!" Simpsons allusion and a topical 1980s political jab.

Pretty sure this is a perfect playground for Gavin, and Larian is going to give free rein to recapture that spirit!

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
It's worth noting that the official teaser announcement has more or less flopped. More than two hours after its submission, Larian's own video has around 20k views, with most other mirrors having less (Gamespot being an exception at 41k). This was a terrible way to announce the game.

Youtube view counts update pretty slowly.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Meh, the Guy was from the Flaming Fist; they are a Mercenary Guild that is hired to uphold the Law in Baldur's Gate, no Paladin Order.

Deleted member 7219

Baldur's Gate was a pretty bad game all around, mostly due to its combat system. I still completed it.

Baldur's Gate 2 was much more epic in scope and I really wish I could have persevered but I had just had enough of the combat by that point.

Baldur's Gate 3... is the story really worth continuing? I'd love to see a new RPG set in the Forgotten Realms universe, didn't need to be BG, but it makes good business sense to trade on the name. And as it is Larian I am counting on it that the combat system will be better than the previous two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Youtube view counts update pretty slowly.

Judging by the number of likes, I'd say the true view count is in the several hundreds of thousands right now.

Deleted member 7219

Let's summarize what we know so far shall we?

Extremely unlikely to be 2d.
It's not using DOS engine and it is AAA game with huge budget so it's likely a tpp / over the shouder camera game with pure real time combat.
They already admiting that it is game with huuuge budget and that means catering to retarded masses who never played bg2 and love skyrim...
They already admiting that they raping 5ed rules coz "missing is not fun" .

Everything about this game so far just screams "abomination" and yet codexers are already fapping like crazy to this dogshit rape of bg series.

When beamdog was releasing their games there where MASSIVE amount of butthurt on this forum, when some Dragon age modders where porting bg2 to dragon age engine there was MASSIVE amount of butthurt on codex .
Fast forward few years and bg3 ( no 2d, no fixed camera, no rtwp ) but a 3d tpp aaa game is announced and codexers are perfectly fine with this abomination.
What a joke this site has become.

Why can't you spell correctly? Are you retarded?

Murk

Arcane
People saying it might be a 3rd person action RPG abomination.

But that just makes me think it might be Divinity 2: Ego Illithid

And I am okay with that. The mind-reading makes major sense now, and I've always wanted to eat people's brains.

This does seem like the BG name is just a grab on WOTC's part and that it's gonna be a D&D game in a general sense.

Well, the logical next step (business-side) for Larian is to cater to the age group 20+, that is people who are bored with standard AAA games and would like different, albeit not too much different gameplay.
I fully expect more focus on multiplayer, some sub-par jokes and no connections to Baldurs Gate games whatsoever - besides the PR tagline.

That being said, I'm counting on at least decent single-player experience and BGIII being the first title which successfully implements the newest D&D shit. INB4 console version announcement & inevitable declining dumb down, that is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not impressed, barely interested.

As has been said, there is no reason to believe that this will have any direct relation to the Baldur's Gate games. The time to make a BG sequel has long passed.

This is just yet another game trying to stand on the shoulders of better, older games. We've seen this happen hundreds of times before. This is not the exception.

Infantry

Educated
Jon Irenicus > angry Squidward with tentacles. Seriously, what a stupid looking creature. Squid head with a human body...please. BGII will remain king in this series.

Postscript: This was a terrible post. I am an honest man; I did not play all the way through BGII and thus did not encounter the Illithids. That being said, I do despise the look of a humanoid with a squid/octopus head (though I do enjoy eating grilled calamari and octopus) and made this terrible post in haste without checking myself. I am leaving my terrible post up as a reminder to myself (and the rest of the Codex) in an effort to avoid writing terrible posts in the future. I am sorry to have tarnished the once half-respectable reputation I enjoyed among my esteemed Codex colleagues.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
the single thing people remember most about the franchise

The thing I seem to remember most about the writing was the random mine worker in one of the later mines who told this long ass story about how he can't get an erection anymore.

Since I appear to be the only one who remembers this and I could never find a screenshot and don't know exactly where it was in the game either, I am suspicious that my brain is pulling a Rashomon on me.

Could anyone confirm that this mine worker exists? Maybe its just me who can't get an erection anymore and my subconscious somehow projected that into the game.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
100 years after the original, I hope minsc is dead.

Obviously you've never read the Baldur's Gate comic.

A wild mage wishes for aid while attacked near a statue of Minsc in Baldur's Gate. The statue becomes flesh and blood and Faerun's greatest space hamster wrangler is unleashed upon the realms once more.

Later on Minsc and friends find themselves in Barovia. That goes about as well as expected.

EDIT: Don't believe me? See for yourself:

RCO009.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom