Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dewie_Morgan:

"[A]s I understand it, EA has been pretty firm that nothing from the Ultimas may appear in UA, period. Not even monsters that the Ultimas took from other mythoses, like goblins, giant rats, giant spiders."

Yeah, I call BS on that. How could EA deny them the use of goblins and rats? They are not Ultima specific at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dewie_Morgan:

"[A]s I understand it, EA has been pretty firm that nothing from the Ultimas may appear in UA, period. Not even monsters that the Ultimas took from other mythoses, like goblins, giant rats, giant spiders."

Yeah, I call BS on that. How could EA deny them the use of goblins and rats? They are not Ultima specific at all.

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/i-would-love-to-find-chuckles-carcass-in-the-underworld/10076/20

It’s true that Ultima itself doesn’t claim ownership over goblins, giant rats, spiders, and skeletons, or skeletons with jester hats. However, including features or characters that are distinct to the Ultima formula and not to UW1&2 would have raised a red flag and could have gotten pulled. It takes a couple of months to make assets for, place, test, develop and integrate even 1 creature into the Abyss, and at the risk of having it pulled for being too close to Ultima, it wouldn’t be worth making.

In legal arrangements, the weaker party often goes beyond what might be strictly necessary to obey the terms of the deal because they can't afford even the slightest risk of a lawsuit.

Hard to believe EA would have actually given a fuck though.

One only has to remember "Lady British" a.k.a Shroud of the Avatar to see what EA would do with Ultima......better off dead. :negative:

Wait, didn't Garriot himself make Shroud of the Avatar?
Why is it EA's fault that game sucks?

He's confusing Shroud of the Avatar with EA's Ultima Forever mobile game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It’s true that Ultima itself doesn’t claim ownership over goblins, giant rats, spiders, and skeletons, or skeletons with jester hats. However, including features or characters that are distinct to the Ultima formula and not to UW1&2 would have raised a red flag and could have gotten pulled. It takes a couple of months to make assets for, place, test, develop and integrate even 1 creature into the Abyss, and at the risk of having it pulled for being too close to Ultima, it wouldn’t be worth making.

In legal arrangements, the weaker party often goes beyond what might be strictly necessary to obey the terms of the deal because they can't afford even the slightest risk of a lawsuit.

Hard to believe EA would have actually given a fuck though.

underworld-ascendant-skeleton-screenshot-large.jpg

14COhR2.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dewie_Morgan:

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/i-would-love-to-find-chuckles-carcass-in-the-underworld/10076/20

So basically EA didn't deny them the use of goblins and rats or other creatures, they just couldn't copy Ultima creatures. That is not shocking, that's common sense.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/otherside-alle3-2019/10081

OSE_Walter said:
We have a busy schedule for E3 for sure and that’s good! (always nice when people want to meet with you).

Flatfingers, we’re cooking up a new IP that’s in our wheelhouse. It’s nice to balance something completely new with the other pre-existing franchises we’re working on. We won’t have much to say about it for a while though.

OSE_Walter said:
You’re reading correctly. To clarify, we’re working on three franchises in total at the moment: Underworld and System Shock being the two existing franchises I alluded to, with the third is the new one I mentioned in my previous post. The vision is to sort of rotate between the three to give ourselves a reasonable cadence of releases, accounting for various factors like team size, dev budget, market timing, etc…

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I wonder what kind of "reasonable cadence" they're aiming for. Annual releases would certainly help to establish Otherside as a household name in the industry.

Terenty

Liturgist
Just how many people work in Otherside? Instead of throwing all their resources at SS3 they are working on another franchise? Is this Ubisoft we are talking about?

Atrachasis

Augur

Hard to believe EA would have actually given a fuck though..

Precisely. When they went and asked EA for a license to use the Underworld setting, EA might simply have used the opportunity to cram all kinds of restrictions down their throats, quite independently of whether they were enforceable by copyright or not, but simply as a precondition for granting the license.

Perhaps "quality" was also among the features from the Ultima brand that they were not allowed to use?

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Does anyone expect them to portray their situation accurately while searching for a new SS3 publisher?

That would mean: "Our first game flopped, the publisher of our only other game abandoned the project and we have unsuccessfully been trying to get a new publisher in the past four months and if we don't find one in the next few weeks, we are going to be bankrupt."

Of course, they are going to make stuff up. "Unannounced" new games in the pipeline, self-publishing SS3 etc.

No doubt, a bright future lies ahead.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Otherside is now 10 days past their self-declared deadline for the launch of the UA console version.

There is no new launch date, no update in their forum, no info on their web site, no trailer, no nothing.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
It was hot-fixed several times, game was still shit.

It was full on "patched" 3 times, game was still shit.

You stand around sniffing your own shit long enough and you can no longer smell your own shit. You've become accustomed to your own shit.

Just die already, OE.

Zep--

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Their community manager has pretty much stopped managing the community.

Last post on the OS forum: 1 week ago.
https://forums.otherside-e.com/u/sluangkhot/summary

Last post on the Steam forum: 3 weeks ago.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/flarechess/posthistory/
--> while remaining players are screaming "YOU ABANDONED US":
Last post of OS twitter account: 6 week-old retweet.
https://twitter.com/OtherSide_Games

Own twitter account: Nothing that has remotely to do with OS
https://twitter.com/flarechess

Nyast

Cipher
.. or maybe he's just having a blast playing the console version which has fixed all bugs and added a ton of content to make this a worthy successor to Ultima Underw...

Err nope, they're simply too busy at E3 hunting for a new publisher :)

Love

Cipher
.. or maybe he's just having a blast playing the console version which has fixed all bugs and added a ton of content to make this a worthy successor to Ultima Underw...

Can we make this a new meme? :P

Glic2000

Educated
Yeah, I remember that screenshot. That was the first screenshot showing off their new art style. Needless to say, everyone was horrified at the time. However, I will admit when the first playable build came with that art style, it did look much better.

In the end, graphics were the least of the game's problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom