Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be fair the bounded accuracy of 5E means you miss ALOT more in 5E than in earlier versions because AC actually matters this time 'round. I still think the quote about missing is sketchy as fuck and the system will probably be watered down, but if there's reasoning behind it that's probably it

The Real Fanboy
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To be fair the bounded accuracy of 5E means you miss ALOT more in 5E than in earlier versions because AC actually matters this time 'round. I still think the quote about missing is sketchy as fuck and the system will probably be watered down, but if there's reasoning behind it that's probably it

It could be that they just add animations of the enemies avoiding your attack or parrying it instead showing aimless swings on poor rolls.... Sigh. I don't even believe myself when I say it out loud though.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just read that RPS interview. Glad I didn't feel a flicker of hype in my sceptical heart. Sounds like they stopped just short of going full retard/first person-Bethesda-inspired F3.

Thanks God for the Rusians.
Do you need the post-RPS blanket? It's really hard to get through an RPS article nowadays, I'll understand if you need a short cry from the trauma. My kid's fingerpaintings are more eloquent and less fucking pretentious.

I hope your kid has a great time playing this game too!. :salute:

Perkel

Arcane
If they're not employing epic-level VFX wizards then they could have still assembled the cutscene in a game engine and rendered it with OctaneRender.
What I'm telling, it's not impossible to do those things in a AAA game engine anymore.

If you do not render such scene in engine then this is no longer in engine cutscene... duh.

Jezal_k23

Well obviously it would be modernized and adapted for casual audiences... what the fuck else would they do? Nobody could have honestly believed it would be like an IE game... right? I'm not saying that this is good or bad, it's merely a statement of fact. It was legitimately impossible for it not to be modernized. They have the business sense to try to make this game for everyone to play, not just BG fans. Statement of fact.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah well at least you can finish Kingmaker. At least Kingmaker had a strong vision and didn't just taper out because of feature creep.
It wasn't possible to finish Kingmaker when it released.

game is bugged beyond playable, most of the quests in my log can't be finished now
steam should be forced to mark this as an early access title even if the developers disagree, it's not a finished product

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In all seriousness this game should've been made by Owlcat. Pathfinder Kingmaker was an amazing but buggy game. But all the hipsters in SanFran including the ones who cling like mould to WotC jizzed themselves over OS2. Even though it was a collection of ambitious but half baked ideas. Even the enhanced edition didn't fix that. I suspect we're getting a big budget Dragon Age style game. Not necessarily a bad thing. Dragon Age was the last good true WRPG till Pathfinder. But it'll probably have that self referential Whedon esque writing from DA that is only possible when written by a rapist Male feminist ally.

maybe WOTC prefers to license their property to someone who can make a game that isn't broken for like two years after launch
Yeah well at least you can finish Kingmaker. At least Kingmaker had a strong vision and didn't just taper out because of feature creep.
You couldn't finish Kingmaker for like six months after release and the final chapter is a series of copy-pasted fights with mandragoras so maybe don't be so smug lol

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That quote from your signature is fucking golden man. It's like there were no Kickstarter wave of "old school games". There are shit ton of people who want exactly that...:(
I ques when you have "fuck you" money you can say "fuck you" to customers too. Fucking Swen, giant douche. Can I have time-machine and un-bake DOS'2 ( shitty game btw )?

ok you convinced me. Maybe some idiots at larian will see this and think for a second.

Actually, if anything, that Kickstarter "wave" showed that there weren't enough really that many people who wanted that. Certainly not enough to turn a profit on a AAA game. Technically they're correct in what they're saying, but that's because they're doing a AAA game.
They could go smaller of course, and still make a profit, but that never seems to be enticing if you already tasted the big money.

PapaPetro

Beamdog's / Trent's reaction

Trent while writing that tweet:

harold-0.jpg

They've been working on the game for two years. Imagine Trent quietly pitching BG3 to WotC after that dreadful expansion they made came out whilst they were being cucked by Larian.

If importing from BG1/2 to BG3 is in, then Beamdog will at least make some sales from people playing through their EE games for the BG3 release.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I'd just like to point out that in the RPS interview the part about the protagonist of the original series being murdered was added by the editor. Sven, just like in the other interviews, was completely hush about Abdel Adrian/CHARNAME/canon. Which lends further proof to my suspicion that a silent retcon is either being lobbied or is already decided upon.
image.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom