Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Real Fanboy
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I believe the time is nigh for the 'anyone who expected this to be a faithful successor/faithful to the ruleset/isometric/in any way good/etc. were kidding themselves, this was always gonna be a mainstream production' crowd to roll up. Nothing fuels the fiesta of despair like a good gloat.

hexer

I hate the way most games get announced nowadays.
They give you next to no info, just a fancy trailer and leave you for years to speculate if what he said meant they tweaked the misses or omitted them.
Inb4 I unplug the internet cord to save my soul and sanity

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What if it's going to be AcRPG - Action cRPG ?

Dragon Age Inquisition was BIOW most selling game.
I don't know if Larian can have that amount of budget to make it better and fix mistakes there.

Inb4 I unplug the internet cord to save my soul and sanity
Save your soul.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen, two important pieces of information.

1. Sven is already contradicting himself. In the RPS interview he states that the storyline of Baldur's Gate I and II is ended, while in the article at Venturebeat it's stated that the game "It builds on the material and storylines from Baldur’s Gate (1997) and Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)". Also, while RPS states that the story is closed with "Murder in Baldur's Gate", the aforementioned Venturebeat article instead informs that the adventure module was used to basically map out the city.

2. Here is a full list of survivors from the previous games. Only the first two have more than one source (Coran has three in total), so treat it with a grain of salt.
- Minsc,
- Coran,
- Dynaheir,
- Edwin,
- Faldorn,
- Imoen,
- Jaheira
- Kagain,
- Kivan,
- Xzar,
- Montaron,
- Viconia,
- Xan,

He said that the story of the bhaalspawn ended. Other stuff also happened in those games, you know. especially there's all those scenes with mindflayers that never really went anywhere but now maybe can

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He said that the story of the bhaalspawn ended. Other stuff also happened in those games, you know. especially there's all those scenes with mindflayers that never really went anywhere but now maybe can

In this universe the protagonist never went after Crom Fyer. His selfish desire to avoid overpowered items insured the Illithid lair was allowed to grow and spread to Baldur's Gate from Athkatla.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The fact they wont confirm its going to be TB system means it wont be. If it was, why wouldn't they confirm it right away?
Same for "isometric" PoV...

The fucking "modern audiences" angle says who will it be made for. I kinda doubt they will go for RtWP, so that only leaves full real time combat... but 5e isnt built for that.
Since its a party based game the field of view must be wider, it cant be third person, but they will probably go for some inane version of it. Probably some fucking cinematic shit version of Divinity games.

Well, in that case i hope they crash and burn.

My last bit of fabulous and deluded optimism is that the reason they're not saying TB or RT is because it's neither, and they're instead implementing a phase-based game.

As for why they're not confirming it's isometric... I don't know ok? I just don't know! God damn it; get off my back!

:P

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
Why not 4E? It's got by far the best tactical combat of any D&D edition, it would be great for a CRPG.
Because 4E is too balanced and boring, balance is the worse that can happen to a fantasy game.We want fun ,unbalanced stuff, spend hours thinking out builds to break the system.
LOL, 5e is way more balanced than 4e. 5e is nearly impossible to cheese, while 4e had a ton of broken combos. One of the selling points of 5e is that doesn't require the DM to watch out for overpowered characters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen's detailed commentary on the trailer: https://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-trailer-breakdown-and-easter-eggs-w/2300-6449730/

Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer Breakdown & Easter Eggs With Larian Founder
Larian Founder Swen Vincke breaks down all the hidden Easter eggs that you might have missed from the Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer.

Not just video: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-aims-to-do-what-no-other-rpg-has/1100-6467440/

Codex Year of the Donut
Swen's detailed commentary on the trailer: https://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-trailer-breakdown-and-easter-eggs-w/2300-6449730/

Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer Breakdown & Easter Eggs With Larian Founder
Larian Founder Swen Vincke breaks down all the hidden Easter eggs that you might have missed from the Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer.

Not just video: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-aims-to-do-what-no-other-rpg-has/1100-6467440/

Is three a reimagining? A straight sequel? How much are you taking from the originals?

SV: The previous Baldur's Gate were based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

:lol:

m_s0

Arcane
I feel... nothing. Odd. Not a good teaser, either - if it wasn't BG3 with decades of FR lore to quote in previews no one would've cared.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
Why not 4E? It's got by far the best tactical combat of any D&D edition, it would be great for a CRPG.
Because 4E is too balanced and boring, balance is the worse that can happen to a fantasy game.We want fun ,unbalanced stuff, spend hours thinking out builds to break the system.
LOL, 5e is way more balanced than 4e. 5e is nearly impossible to cheese, while 4e had a ton of broken combos. One of the selling points of 5e is that doesn't require the DM to watch out for overpowered characters.
That was not my limited experience with 5e. I specifically remember people picking humans, and taking polearm fighting feat at lvl 1 that let you take two attacks when every other idiot gets one attack.

Codex Year of the Donut
did you even play the original baldur's gate games?
Yes I did. I take it you played BG for multiplayer?
rusty_shackleford Since you avoiding answering the question, I have to guess you didn't in fact play BG for multiplayer. But why? Feature so important that you felt the dire need to inform me about it, yet didn't use?
you implied it can't be rtwp because it has multiplayer yet the originals had multiplayer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom