Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

m_s0

Arcane
Well, technically, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 is based on 3E.
Sven is about to find out what it feels like to be stuck under a nerd microscope. I do wonder if he'll need those nerds for a Larian BG to sell, though. If I had to declare myself I'd say no one but the nerds gives a damn about BG these days, but I legitimately don't know. The face of Larian confusing 2e with 3e here isn't a great image either way...

That Stadia PR spiel sounds profoundly evil.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bloodlines 2 is being made. Baldurs Gate 3 is being made. Even Torment 2 was made.

Then Beamdog tries to make another Planescape and fails miserably. Omg, Beamdog haha, its so sad but at the same time is so funny.

The Bishop

Cipher
you implied it can't be rtwp because it has multiplayer yet the originals had multiplayer
I did not imply that. You jumped to that conclusion. What I implied is that RT with multiple people pausing over each other is fucking trash, that this has been well known since mid 2000s and no sensible developer is going to try to jam both in the same video game if they care at all about the quality of experience. Pretty sensible conclusion don't you find?

We gathered everybody around and we had two reactions. We had the guys that were completely freaking out. But then surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, the younger ones that said, "What is it? [whispering]" They actually didn't know what it was.

It's kind of depressing, however well deserved that as soon as big budgets are brought up, all players can think of is developers doing a TES, Fallout or Dragon Age. Given their new found independence and how Larian have always insisted the formats of their early Diabloesque Divinity games were forced upon them by publisher demand: Here's hopeful that Larian may be developing what seemed their long-term goal all along, which is this generation's Ultima 7 / Underworld. Admittedly that may be a bit optimistic. :D

alyvain

Learned
Remember the last time a different studio was making a part 3 of an RPG series?
:troll:

Actually I remember maybe three instances when the same studio did an alright job.
But I haven't played Ultima so perhaps there are four of them

We gathered everybody around and we had two reactions. We had the guys that were completely freaking out. But then surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, the younger ones that said, "What is Skyrim? [whispering]" They actually didn't know what it was.

Mortmal

Arcane
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
Why not 4E? It's got by far the best tactical combat of any D&D edition, it would be great for a CRPG.
Because 4E is too balanced and boring, balance is the worse that can happen to a fantasy game.We want fun ,unbalanced stuff, spend hours thinking out builds to break the system.
LOL, 5e is way more balanced than 4e. 5e is nearly impossible to cheese, while 4e had a ton of broken combos. One of the selling points of 5e is that doesn't require the DM to watch out for overpowered characters.
Impossible to cheese ? Sorcadin, avenger paladin with some level of sorc for more spell slots to burn , smoke a boss with your smites in one turn. The DM has to watch out. Maybe you are playing with nice unexperienced guys :). So many way on how to break it and have fun, the horrors my players can do...

Mortmal

Arcane
Regardless of what wagon of the hype train you're in, you gotta feel good for Swen for shit like this:

Larian actually originally pitched for Baldur's Gate 3 back when Divinity: Original Sin 1 was in development, but Dungeons & Dragons owner Wizards of the Coast thought the Belgium studio too green, too inexperienced, Vincke said. Funny to hear that now, given the enormous success of the Original Sin series - and evidently Wizards soon cottoned on to what Larian could do. "During DOS2, they reached out to us and said, 'Do you still want to do it?'" Vincke said, to which the obvious answer was: "Yes - of course."
It's highly surprising larian was considered too green while they gave sword coast legends to.. to.. what was their name already ?That game was beyond awful.

Codex Year of the Donut
Regardless of what wagon of the hype train you're in, you gotta feel good for Swen for shit like this:

Larian actually originally pitched for Baldur's Gate 3 back when Divinity: Original Sin 1 was in development, but Dungeons & Dragons owner Wizards of the Coast thought the Belgium studio too green, too inexperienced, Vincke said. Funny to hear that now, given the enormous success of the Original Sin series - and evidently Wizards soon cottoned on to what Larian could do. "During DOS2, they reached out to us and said, 'Do you still want to do it?'" Vincke said, to which the obvious answer was: "Yes - of course."
It's highly surprising larian was considered too green while they gave sword coast legends to.. to.. what was their name already ?That game was beyond awful.
Digital Extremes isn't exactly a 'nobody'

Mortmal

Arcane

Digital Extremes isn't exactly a 'nobody'
Ah the editor , maybe, but the studio ? So wotc was fooled they contact a big editor and that some shit tier studio it was outsourced to.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I was convinced this would be tb with them reusing their dos engine, but boy was I wrong. Sven is mighty cagey responding simple questions like is it isometric and how will the combat be... That can only mean that it won't be either and it will be a huge departure from their previous games and the series itself.

I'm thinking third person action adventure, mass effect, dragon age inquisition, Witcher 3 style. With 2 companions in active party and cool down based abilities.

Codex Year of the Donut
I was convinced this would be tb with them reusing their dos engine, but boy was I wrong. Sven is mighty cagey responding simple questions like is it isometric and how will the combat be... That can only mean that it won't be either and it will be a huge departure from their previous games and the series itself.

I'm thinking third person action adventure, mass effect, dragon age inquisition, Witcher 3 style. With 2 companions in active party and cool down based abilities.
Possible Sven himself is under an NDA by WotC or something because it's so closely tied to their new campaign that hasn't launched yet.

Dodo1610

Arcane

I think we will get something like Dragon Age Origins with 5e DND. A 3rd person Camera that can be zoomed out for combat that is either with RTWP or turn-based.

Sentinel

Arcane
vOOOAAU.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just hope Sven will take pity on us and have a difficulty setting in the game that reverses his changes to 5e rules. He can even call it "No Fun" difficulty so all the popamole players stay away from it and don't complain on forums twitter.

agris

Arcane
Patron
His attitude towards itemization is the antithesis of what made item-based character development and differentiation in the BGs and IWD so compelling. He clearly does not get it, and is not interested in getting it.

Also, the DOS1 UI was less usable than BG1’s.

Abandon all hope, ye who follow.

Fairfax

Arcane
Swen's detailed commentary on the trailer: https://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-trailer-breakdown-and-easter-eggs-w/2300-6449730/

Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer Breakdown & Easter Eggs With Larian Founder
Larian Founder Swen Vincke breaks down all the hidden Easter eggs that you might have missed from the Baldur's Gate 3 Trailer.

Not just video: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-aims-to-do-what-no-other-rpg-has/1100-6467440/

Is three a reimagining? A straight sequel? How much are you taking from the originals?

SV: The previous Baldur's Gate were based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

:lol:
Unbelievable. This is going to be a disgrace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom