Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
His attitude towards itemization is the antithesis of what made item-based character development and differentiation in the BGs and IWD so compelling. He clearly does not get it, and is not interested in getting it.

What did Swen say about itemization, I'm burning to know

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Unbelievable. This is going to be a disgrace.

It's pretty funny how similar their behavior is to that of Bethesda when they were making Fallout 3.

Pretending to be fans while being clueless, avoiding questions, talking about modernization. Everything. It's like there's a standard "fuck with someone else's franchise" kit that comes with everything you're supposed to say and do.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
His attitude towards itemization is the antithesis of what made item-based character development and differentiation in the BGs and IWD so compelling. He clearly does not get it, and is not interested in getting it.

The context isn’t BG3, it’s DOS1-era. He loves “item fever”, a continuous stream of randomly generated gear that drops that may or may not be better than what you have. If you played DOS1 you know what this means; a mix of Diablo 2 and WoW random item generation and color-tiered loot.

Itemization and the abilities that items, especially weapons, conveyed to characters in the IE games were critical in the development of characters and adapting of tactics for battles. Also for challenge.

Defeating that rando liche in the back of an inn in BG2 resulted in an item that you could change your tactics against certain enemies for a significant portion of the game. This is the power of hand-made and placed items. Item fever is the antithesis of this.

Fairfax

Arcane
Unbelievable. This is going to be a disgrace.

It's pretty funny how similar their behavior is to that of Bethesda when they were making Fallout 3.

Pretending to be fans while being clueless, avoiding questions, talking about modernization. Everything. It's like there's a standard "fuck with someone else's franchise" kit that comes with everything you're supposed to say and so.
I think the attitude here might be worse. At least Bethesda kept misses (to their own detriment), used VATS to mitigate things, and didn't attack the originals.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Handmade items also convey a very different feeling upon discovering some treasures. It's basically the only thing that kept me going in deadfire, I wanted to see the next item's upgrades. Not even to use it - because balance in all things - but simply out of curiosity.

But when you make an action game, you want the player to be rewarded continuously, so procedurally generated combinations of meh traits is the way to go, unfortunately. You can only make that many items at the end of the day, and the loot must flow !
Thanks diablo.

There's not much to expect but a good surprise from this game. Let's wait & see.

I mean we've all played these games, we all know that you just don't even look at the item's name or specs anymore after a few hours. You just look at the indicator to see whether its green or red. It's braindead business.

Tigranes

Arcane

The context isn’t BG3, it’s DOS1-era. He loves “item fever”, a continuous stream of randomly generated gear that drops that may or may not be better than what you have. If you played DOS1 you know what this means; a mix of Diablo 2 and WoW random item generation and color-tiered loot.

Itemization and the abilities that items, especially weapons, conveyed to characters in the IE games were critical in the development of characters and adapting of tactics for battles. Also for challenge.

Defeating that rando liche in the back of an inn in BG2 resulted in an item that you could change your tactics against certain enemies for a significant portion of the game. This is the power of hand-made and placed items. Item fever is the antithesis of this.

Yes. I mean, the interesting thing to watch will be how Larian adapts its design philosophies - matured over more or less a single franchise that was their bread and butter for their entire life - into a very thickly accumulated set of foreign design sensibilities that are D&D + BG. Do you try to replicate the design pillars of BG1 and BG2 specifically, for example? D&D itself, I would argue, isn't really built for Divine Divinity's Diablo-inspired item fever, though you could obviously make it so if you tried. So it's a question of how they make these decisions.

Which is why I think 100 years later is a good decision, and I wouldn't even mind departing from 'isometric' or RTwP - I don't think Larian is the studio to pick if you want to do a Realms Beyond with this. It should be a Larian game first and foremost. The question is what Larian want their big-budget Larian game to look like at this point of their career.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tigranes while I agree with you, they should play to their and the setting’s strengths - I don’t have confidence in their strengths. I found the features lauded in DOS1 to be shallow and a poor facsimile of the enlightened forebeares in the genre. The combination of TB combat and BG-style open world RP gameplay, combined with robust environmental interactions, seems to have captivated a lot of people. For me, their strongest suits were the most ancillary - TB and environmental interactions. Character development, itemization, graphical presentation (art style) and writing were all so low quality that the good ancillary parts of their game never shone.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ffs people wait until we at least have some info about the game before you bitch like that... God damn gamers these days are self entitled pricks... There is literally one cinematic video and some vague comments and y'all act like they fucked everything up already. Chill the fuck out. Wait a bit. Patience. Damn.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ffs people wait until we at least have some info about the game before you bitch like that... God damn gamers these days are self entitled pricks... There is literally one cinematic video and some vague comments and y'all act like they fucked everything up already. Chill the fuck out. Wait a bit. Patience. Damn.
'The Baldur's Gate series was based on D&D 3.5' is a vague comment?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's a true statement, what do you get of it?

Codex Year of the Donut
vOOOAAU.jpg
SoD was ok.
The dungeons were really good and probably the highlight of the game along with itemization(a lot of unique items that really stood out.)
Writing was poor and a lot of the outdoors areas were rather small.

All this post shows is why it's bad to "hoard" your IP like this. Let multiple developers all take a crack at making a game and the players get more options.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It's a true statement, what do you get of it?
My bad BGs were second edition based. In any case what of it? If they don't know the editions of 20 years ago we have a problem?

Btw: Is the "Big RPG to dwarf them all" upon us -- whatever that may look like in the mind of Vincke? Or is BG3 meant to get Larian into the Position of finally tackling it?

http://www.lar.net/2012/01/16/the-route-to-the-very-big-rpg-that-will-dwarf-them-all/

I’m a guy that started a game development company because he was inspired by Ultima VII to make huge RPGs, with a vision of a free systemic game-world coupled to a strong storyline and powerful character development mechanics. But all I talked about here was more cost-efficiency, more company focus and higher margins.

Still, I don’t think there’s any other route. To be able to fulfill the ambition of the “very big RPG that will dwarf them all”, we need to cash-rich enough to disappear from the planet for a couple of years, and focus on doing only that.

Discuss.

Last edited:

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
HOLY CRAP.. some of the quotes from https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...vinity-studio-larian-is-making-baldurs-gate-3

"We're about 200 people now, internally, working on this," Vincke said, "and we have over 100 people externally and that's only increasing.
It's a very big game."

"The trailer should tell you a lot about the production values we're going for - it is at a higher level than what we did for DOS2," he added.
"How high a level I will let you discover when we show the first gameplay footage," which, before you think-ask it, will be shown "when it's ready to be shown".

Yeah, WotC person refers this AAA:

Is anyone else here blocked on twitter by this lady; never interacted with her before.

Mortmal

Arcane
SoD was ok.
The dungeons were really good and probably the highlight of the game along with itemization(a lot of unique items that really stood out.)
Writing was poor and a lot of the outdoors areas were rather small.

All this post shows is why it's bad to "hoard" your IP like this. Let multiple developers all take a crack at making a game and the players get more options.
Sod is the most underrated game on the dex and there's good reasons for it.You have to get the EE baldur's gate wich is just milking the license and not adding much. It makes everything to trigger the average codexer. First it gives all your gold to refugees and you can do nothing to prevent it, second it push some political agenda with an extremely poorly written trasngender npc. You can completely avoid that npc of course, its not such a big deal to me but people started to hate them for that. I only played it recently so maybe they patched most of the cringe and lecturing. Environments are very good, stand with originals, combat is really good and challenging, good ol' 2E .Enough to forgive a bit of cringe, this time its 100% original work.

Codex Year of the Donut
First it gives all your gold to refugees and you can do nothing to prevent it, second it push some political agenda with an extremely poorly written trasngender npc
"gives" :lol:
They beat the guy holding your money up and steal it in typical "refugee" fashion
I actually either didn't encounter the tranny NPC or didn't hit the right dialogue lines because I never saw it

yolu

Novice
‘Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.’ It is a multiplayer co-op survival game to be announced Epic exclusive one month before launch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Their knowledge of the old games' rule-set is only relevant if you expect this to be a faithful game made just like those, which at this point is a silly expectation. The question now is larger scale DoS (think reboot Xcom but an RPG) or Dragon Age.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The thing about camera perspective reminded me of these tweets:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom