Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - now with Heretek expansion

lightbane

Arcane
Hereteks! For when you cannot just say "I totes found these legit plans for this technological innovation lying around in a closet. Really!"

Unfortunately, sooner or later Hereteks go full retard due the kind of things they do. They still get cool toys. However, it's immediately obvious who will be this "surprise heretic" for anyone who played the game a little. I suppose endings will be influenced somewhat.

PsychoFox

Educated
Finally get around to finish this. What a blast. I clocked at 20 hours. Still got two more endings and a bunch of hidden quest lines i haven't seen. Throughly recommended. Omnissiah be praised.

PsychoFox

Educated
Finally got around to finish this. What a blast. I clocked at around 20 hours. Still got two more endings and a bunch of hidden quest lines i haven't seen. Throughly recommended. Omnissiah be praised.

Gameplay is tactical, turn-based and plays out on a grid. Before each mission you get to form a party of 1-4 (maybe even more) Techpriests (heroes) and a number of Mechanicus units (peons) that need to be separately deployed. You fight the Necrons - facing five factions and five bosses.

In battle you get separate pools for movement which is determined by stats, and action which is not variable, but you get to fire all of your weapons and skills in the same turn. Skills have cooldowns while weapons don't. Additionally, the more useful actions require you to spend from another pool called Consciousness Points (CP). These points are gathered from a bunch of sources like different obelisks that are spread out through the maps. You'd also get one the first time you disable an enemy. There are other sources of CP such as items that can extract them from enemies, skills, or through the sheer divinity of the Omnissiah (praise be), acquired through reading a holy verdict or canticle.

Combat turns are handed out based on initiative which is set in stone for every unit type, but could be affected through FTL-like random encounter events. Speaking of random encounters, there are a number of other combat variables that are affected by them, such as starting HP, CP and other stuff.

You take quests from your base of operation which is a gigantic ship above the planet where the Necron tombs are. You play as Magos Faustinius who is in charge of the entire Mechanicus operation in this game. You have several advisors who give you quests. Each of these advisors have distinct personalities with opposing ideologies and quests. The game has three endings depending on which advisor (or none) you side with throughout the game. In general, you get to wintess a fair amount of factional politics within the mechanicus, and the writing is very good - very solid. Overall the story of the game while simple, works great because of the quality of the writing. The environments and units are also good looking and the game has an stellar soundtrack which worked perfectly for my tastes.

The quests themselves always have you visit one of the five Necron tombs to explore and achieve an objective. While these objective vary and you get some degree of choice through quest-specific events, the outcome always involves a number of battles. The battle themselves always fall under the following types: kill everything, scan or destroy consoles, or kill the boss.

As you spend time in the tomb in each mission, the Necrons begin to activate more and more. As you move through the rooms of the tomb and explore a gauge raises and once it hits certain thresholds the mission gets harder. This gauge is reset to 0 after each mission, but the number (1-5) gets added to an overall counter-meter that goes from 0 to 100%. Your objective is to finish the game before the meter fills.

Outside of combat you get an incredible amount of customization options for each of your heroes. You get to choose and mix and match between several different Mechanicus disciplines, each with unique items and skills. The skills themselves are pretty great and I did not find a single one that was useless or only usable in specific situations. They all server a purpose. The appearance of the techpriest can also be greatly altered depending on what sort of gear you equip them. I really enjoyed this aspect of the game. Ultimately, the flexibility of the skill/gear system allows for a fair degree of freedom in making your character builds. For example I made a Dominus who had very high resistance to energy attacks, could draw out a lot of CP per turn, and could obliterate more than 5 enemies per turn thanks to its immensely powerful weapons. It goes without saying that being a W40K game, each piece of equipment comes with its own unique lore, and there is NO RANDOMLY GENERATED LOOT - which I loved. Oh and you also get to name your characters XCOM style.

Overall, i consider this one of the best W40K games out there. Throughly recommended.

Saduj

Arcane
So the early difficulty tweaks are already in the base game but custom difficulty is in beta? Did I get that right?

sser

Arcane
Developer
I knew nothing about this game's setting but it drew me in pretty quick. It is absolutely dripping with atmosphere. Also the soundtrack is very wicked.

Puteo

Learned
So this has difficulty modes now? Is it worth playing? It looks good, but releasing an 'Xcom-like' without difficulty options screams utter retardation...

I'm playing through the first time with the difficulty settings on Hard. It seems good so far. Some OP stuff has been significantly nerfed and it offers an acceptable amount of challenge, but no real chance of my tech priests dying yet.

The shared action point system is odd and snowbally which makes me suspect that the game will end up being very feast-or-famine. If you push the difficulty too hard I wouldn't be surprised if it just becomes unwinnable. But it's hard to tell because of how you're always chaining things together to get more actions and action discounts and how every augment you add gives your tech priest yet another action they can do each turn.

Good game, but I'm not sure it's quite worth the $30 right now, it satisfies the turn based itch but it's missing the magic of classic X-Com and Silent Storm. For less than $20 it would be easy to recommend. At the current price point I'd say your money is better spent on ATOM RPG or Pathologic 2 which are similarly or lesser priced.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I picked this game up at the recent Steam sale and am really enjoying it (I'm about 16 hours in).

When the game first came out it seems like folks considered it too easy, but the difficulty seems pretty good in the version I'm playing. I think I've only lost one mission outright, but there have been plenty of close calls and I've definitely had to carefully plan out my actions in order to avoid getting overwhelmed. Although, I've fought one boss so far, and he did go down pretty quickly.

As other people have said, the atmosphere of the game is just great. I'm also really impressed with the writing. It makes the AdMechs seem realistically alien yet also manages to give them unique personalities and make them relatable. How can big budget games have such terrible writing when this budget title manages to nail it? :argh:

So far, I've mostly just been using tech priests, occasionally breaking out one or two of those Skitarii with ranged Physical damage when I run into something with substantial energy resistance that I don't want to melee (i.e. Lychguards).

One thing I feel a little silly about is that I only recently realized that there is a hidden quest-giver. :|

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I also picked this up during the Steam sale, along with other WH40k games (Gladius and Inquisitor Martyr, which I thought were also fairly good). Gotta say, this one is a real gem. It gets a lot easier toward the end, but I don't think it's *too* easy, as in I see that there's a lot of potential to tune it with all the options they give the player. I'm playing on Normal, but I can see that playing on harder settings (more necrons, less blackstone etc.) will make this more challenging in some significant ways. Despite this, I'm still enjoying it a lot. It's so thick with atmosphere that you could practically cut the air into gelatinous cubes. The gameplay is really engaging and what surprised me a bit is how I thought the boss fights were designed quite well. Usually boss fights in TRPGs can be a bit lame, but here they are quite interesting. Glad that it's getting an expansion and I hope it does well enough so that the studio can work on more games like this, because I can certainly feel the passion and love that was put into this game. We need more of this level of enthusiasm from devs.

Saduj

Arcane
Anyone know if the expansion includes a stand alone campaign or if it just adds some new missions to the original campaign? I was hoping for a new campaign but the description on Steam makes it sound like it just adds five new missions to the main campaign.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone know if the expansion includes a stand alone campaign or if it just adds some new missions to the original campaign? I was hoping for a new campaign but the description on Steam makes it sound like it just adds five new missions to the main campaign.
From the Steam reviews, tt looks like a new campaign, but that reuses most of the stuff of the OC, with a some new stuff mixed in, so main campaign with a few more missions seems accurate .

PsychoFox

Educated
I really enjoyed this game. Posted a pesudo-review in this thread somewhere too. I'm not sure if Heretek has enough content to warrant a separate purchase though. I haven't played it myself, but considering the existence of Patch Culture (TM), i consider these anemic DLC packs to be free.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Near the end I very rarely sent servo-skulls because their slow movement was starting to make a significant % of battle duration.

The latest patch seems to have significantly sped up servo-skull movement.

However, I've also encountered a couple of bugs (not sure if they are necessarily related to the new patch, though).

In one battle against one of those spider-things that spawn scarabs, the spider would spawn the scarabs and then sit there, never completing his turn. This kept happening despite re-starting the battle twice. I finally got around it by killing the bastard before his turn came around.

The other bug was against the architect, That cylinder that rises up during the cutscene was still in its down position when the battle started. The architect couldn't move and couldn't attack me, but I could still attack him, which made the battle rather easy.

When I first saw this I thought it looked like an upscaled mobile port. But now I've actually played it I really enjoy it. I just wish there was a similar game with more races to pick from. I want to lead a squad of Space Marines or Imperial Guard through procedurally generated levels. Basically just an electronic adaptation of Kill Team with persistence and permadeath. Perhaps even leading to the (when hell freezes over and icicles appear on Gee Dubs nose) full MtG Arena style adaptation of 40k itself.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is there a way to scale up the combat speed? The slow attack animations (especially on necron warriors, but also some tech priest ranged shots) is kind of annoying.

Mark Richard

Arcane

Metal as fuck.

The hex TBS wargames Armageddon and Gladius have so many expansions. I had dismissed Mechanicus as another one without looking too closely, so it's a pleasant surprise to find a well-liked squad-based tactics game instead. Grabbed a GOG copy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom