Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm not sure you can even grind from level 1 to being able to fight powerful illithids within the span of the same game.

Ever heard of Sword Coast Legends?

Just make them level 1 Illithids. Problem solved.
:slamdunk:

I think the attitude here might be worse. At least Bethesda kept misses (to their own detriment), used VATS to mitigate things, and didn't attack the originals.

Pretty sure they did. It's part of the kit to deride the older games to sell your new ones. Hell, Bethesda even does it with their own games.

An example off the top of my head was how the original Fallouts were too silly and they'd make it more serious, in regards to the missing groin shots.

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
All I wanted was a turn based cRPG based on the 5E ruleset that took place somewhere in the Forgotten Realms.

Never gonna happen with a game made by like 300 people. It's a AAA game with a ton of money put into it. It will be mainstream shit. I'm 50/50 on it being a "cinematic experience".
Yes I know that. But I had hoped this would have been a small scale project to begin with, being the gullible dumbfuck that I am.

Somehow I feel they might make it turn-based after all. The notion that RTwP is not compatible with new gamers might just mean that according to their experience, TB is. They grew because of TB games after all.
I highly doubt they'd go third person, after all they have to be given some credit for staying true to some basic cRPG principles - they are not bringers of decline like Bethesda
Dude.

There are THREE HUNDRED FUCKING PEOPLE working on this. It's a multi-million dollar vanity project.

It's not going to be turn based.

It's not going to have a top down perspective.

It's basic economics. Save yourself the heartache and abandon all hope.

hexer

It's weird Colin McComb didn't acknowledge the BG3 announcement.
Possible butthurt detected.

I'm playing BG1 right now, and I'm 100% sure that Larian won't be able to capture the feel of the game, that sense of down-to-earth adventure. It probably won't be able to capture the feel of BG2 either. However, they won't even try. Much has changed in the past 20 years, and nowadays these games are made for a completely different audience. Also, the reason why people have talked about BG3 all these years is because they think these epic sagas should be trilogies. But the fact is, the story ended with BG2, just like Terminator 2 is the real ending. For better or worse, Throne of Bhaal IS BG3.

TOB should have been BG3 but for some reason they opted to make it an expansion pack.
Bioware probably shifted majority of devs to work on NWN 1.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are THREE HUNDRED FUCKING PEOPLE working on this. It's a multi-million dollar vanity project.

Let's see. Having high production values doesn't automatically mean third person action, for me at least

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Evidently also Adam Lee of the adventure "Out of the Abyss" has been on as a writer.

The link to his blog is neat.

upload_2019-6-7_4-22-39.png

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Somehow I feel they might make it turn-based after all. The notion that RTwP is not compatible with new gamers might just mean that according to their experience, TB is. They grew because of TB games after all.
I highly doubt they'd go third person, after all they have to be given some credit for staying true to some basic cRPG principles - they are not bringers of decline like Bethesda
Yeah, for all its faults DOS2 was an isometric party-based CRPG with tough turn-based combat that rewards creative problemsolving, with multiple quest solutions, free-form exploration and a plethora of skill/stat/background checks in dialogue for those who care about that stuff. For me the concern is not so much that they'll make a braindead ARPG and more that they'll do CRPG all wrong, like they did with DOS2.

...incline, I guess?

Edit: for the record, Barabus, based on Swen's comments I'm 90% sure this will be crap. I'm only saying it'll be DOS2, not Fallout 3. I wouldn't say there's anything fabulously optimistic about that.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Purely my imagination based on what they've said and job postings:
  • It will use both third-person and isometric ("tactical" if you will) camera, and player can toggle between them any time, similar to Dragon Age.
  • Combat will be something like phase-based, or maybe something akin to Copper Dreams' turn-based combat with timed actions. I imagine it fits well with 2~4 player co-op without hassle, and they can bring some aspects and feel of RTwP systems.
  • Some use of cinematics. They've hired a number of cinematic artists likely for this game. Cutscenes detached from gameplay? Camera system for conversations? I'm not sure, but I'd prefer later.

Thonius

Arcane
Hey, so member that ilithid paladin concept art and how we all laughed? Right? Now we know that's not paladin that's ex flaming fist. Soo, looks like Beamdog already had a plot. So it's either plot is provided by wizards, larian stole it, or it's a collaboration of larian and beamdog.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
> We worked very closely with Wizards, they actually adapted certain things for us so that it would work in the video game also.
You freeze the octopi, petrify Minsc into a giant boulder and then launch it at them like a bowling ball. Fierce gameplay!

hexer

I'm not sure you can even grind from level 1 to being able to fight powerful illithids within the span of the same game.

Ever heard of Sword Coast Legends?

Just make them level 1 Illithids. Problem solved.
:slamdunk:

There's an video interview with WotC designers about Descent to Avernus on the WotC website where they say they made low level adventuring in Baator possible by focusing on corruption and the fact baatezu want your soul.
They acknowledged a low level adventure in the Abyss wouldn't work out because the tanar'ri just want to skin you alive and decorate their homes with your skin.
I imagine Larian can pull off something similar by fleshing out the mind flayer's society and expanding them from mere "mind blast + extract brain" nuisances.
Hmmm.. they should have hired Bruce R Cordell, probably the best expert on DnD psionics.

Purely my imagination based on what they've said and job postings:
  • It will use both third-person and isometric ("tactical" if you will) camera, and player can toggle between them any time, similar to Dragon Age.
  • Combat will be something like phase-based, or maybe something akin to Copper Dreams' turn-based combat with timed actions. I imagine it fits well with 2~4 player co-op without hassle, and they can bring some aspects and feel of RTwP systems.
  • Some use of cinematics. They've hired a number of cinematic artists likely for this game. Cutscenes detached from gameplay? Camera system for conversations? I'm not sure, but I'd prefer later.

My guess is they plan to make this game everything for everyone.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
His attitude towards itemization is the antithesis of what made item-based character development and differentiation in the BGs and IWD so compelling. He clearly does not get it, and is not interested in getting it.

Also, the DOS1 UI was less usable than BG1’s.

Abandon all hope, ye who follow.

They can't possibly go with the itemization scheme they implemented on the DOS games. Even Sven has to realize this.

turkishronin

Arcane
All I wanted was a turn based cRPG based on the 5E ruleset that took place somewhere in the Forgotten Realms.

Never gonna happen with a game made by like 300 people. It's a AAA game with a ton of money put into it. It will be mainstream shit. I'm 50/50 on it being a "cinematic experience".
Yes I know that. But I had hoped this would have been a small scale project to begin with, being the gullible dumbfuck that I am.

Dude.

Bro have some hope. What if having 300 people on board means they are going to make a REALLY cool turn-based game?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Codex is busy larping jaded veterans again i see.

D:OS 2 wasnt perfect, but every single one of you would have strangled his grandmother for a game like this in the great drought period of rpgs. Its going upwards bros and i have trust in Larian to know what the fans of the franchise want.

"One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”"

Maybe this is just Swen going real-time and acknowledging that in particular on higher level D&D or more complex battles, all characters resolving all their attack rolls simultaneously tended to make their combat log explode and clusterfuck all over the place. E.g. Swen acknowleding the inherent weaknesses of a real-time implementation of D&D, unlike [unnamed developers].

Alternatively, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkCmidjeHc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom