Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Platformer recommendations

OldNorseSaga

Learned
I would like to get good platformer req.

So far I tried:
Trine 2 - finished, loved it
La Mulana 2 - loved it
Unruly Heroes - love, love this
Ori and the Blind Forest DE
A Hat in Time & Mulaka - like A Hat in Time more than Mulaka
The King's Bird - hate timers, love everything else
Feudal Alloy - no story though
Dead Cells

Tried it, bu I'm not sure what to think about them
Battle Princess Madelyn - have much more fun than with Iconoclast
Candleman CJ - interesting premise
Semblance - worthy of platformer title, but horribly annoying
Iconoclast

Probably won't try:
Anything too dated, prefer my games fresh and running out of the box
Hollow Knight - bugs bug me

I probably forgot something, so I will fill OP with more info, but suggest away.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Here's the last time this thread was tried: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/platformer-central.126163/

Don't know what your definition of 'too dated' is though so maybe a lot of that stuff won't apply. Based on your list I'm pretty sure you would like Rayman Origins / Legends. PM me if you want a Steam key for Super Meat Boy

I have that on Epic for free, but I didn't even try it and I know I never will.
Thank you for the thread, I assume it was pinned?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you don't like the retro look but want 2D I highly recommend the Donkey Kong Country reboot games. First one can be played on PC through Dolphin, second one is on WiiU and there's a WiiU emulator that might be up to snuff by now for it, not sure. These were just mentioned in the screenshot thread if you wan to see pics.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
If you don't like the retro look but want 2D I highly recommend the Donkey Kong Country reboot games. First one can be played on PC through Dolphin, second one is on WiiU and there's a WiiU emulator that might be up to snuff by now for it, not sure. These were just mentioned in the screenshot thread if you wan to see pics.

Thank you, but only reason why I didn't already play Zelda is because I'm too lazy to set up a emulator/emulation.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Assuming that by dated you don't mean the graphics, give VVVVVV and Shovel Knight a try, really liked both of them

Simple Simon

Scholar
I mean, maybe I am missing something that said indies only but Mario Odyssey is not on your list and is widely seen as one of the best mainstream platformers in a long time. Blaster Master Zero and Blaster Master Zero 2 are also both good platformers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
keen4-3.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
From the ones I played:

Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Sonic 1
Sonic CD
Sonic Generations
Sonic Mania
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Cuphead
Volgarr the Viking
Megaman 11
Mirror's Edge

I would say MetroidVania's while they can be platformers, their design sets then apart from the classic platformer like the ones I mentioned. But still if i had to recomend one it would be Super Metroid.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Super Meatboy, all the way bro, you gotta give it a try.

That aside, i heard great things about Celeste, but havent played it enough. The Messenger is nice Ninja Gaiden inspired platformer, that turns into metroidvania later on.

I'd also recommend you get past your bug bugging, and give Hollow Knight a try. It truly is a masterpiece. Ditto for older platformers - shitton of em holds great.

Covenant

Savant
If you enjoyed La Mulana 2, the first game seems an obvious suggestion. I played the original, free version of it, as opposed to the remake, but from what I hear the remake didn't really ruin anything. Give either version a go, anyway, it's a fantastic game. It's so rare to find games that actually make you feel like an archeologist, exploring old ruins and solving the puzzles. Walking down a stone corridor and rotating a couple of murals to line up doesn't cut it, but La Mulana did in the way that it made you actually take in and understand its mythos before you could proceed.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Consider Snake Pass
its probably best played with a controller

I'd say Wings of Vi is a great one as well, but definitely go for Super Meatboy before it if you don't already know if you enjoy dying once every 30 seconds.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cuphead, my dude.

I heard it's haaaaaard.
It can be at times but the levels are short and you don't run out of lives or repeat levels after beating them once. Even if you're stuck on some boss you should eventually beat it through luck or with a different weapon.

I'd recommend Captain Claw, it's an older game but the gameplay is great and the controls and visuals aged very well. It's not sold anywhere but can be downloaded from torrent sites or https://captainclaw.net/en/downloads.html and runs well on modern systems.

Oh, and more modern ones: Rayman Origins is very nice. Legends is more wonky with some sections that were designed to utilize the controls for whatever weird console it was originally released on but otherwise it's a pretty good game too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom