Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"What we want to make" - Skyrim clone, some multiplayer thing, definitely not an historical RPG.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have to call bullshit, no way Microsoft would buy them without a big AAA exclusive planned. They might have a lot of latitude about the themes and setting of that game, but you could never convince me MS would let them just make stuff like Tyranny and PoE2 forever.

They could ALSO do smaller stuff though, so one wonders if PoE3 is a side project or if they're taking PoE to Skyrim town.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
32snki.jpg

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
"Recently acquired studio accuses parent company of tyranical management, regrets buyout"
- Thing that never happened

game-of-thrones-jon.jpg

I have to call bullshit, no way Microsoft would buy them without a big AAA exclusive planned. They might have a lot of latitude about the themes and setting of that game, but you could never convince me MS would let them just make stuff like Tyranny and PoE2 forever.

They could ALSO do smaller stuff though, so one wonders if PoE3 is a side project or if they're taking PoE to Skyrim town.

They'll probably have various projects along poe3 which will be more open-ended RPG like D:OS2. They even end up doing some immersive sims like Deus-Ex. They almost did made Deus EX: Human Revolution sequel before it was cancelled.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh definitely isn't involved if they're doing first person melee. :cool:
why?
JE Sawyer said:
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.

Of course Fairfax can post a badgame quote where he admits he's bad at them. :M

Wunderbar

Arcane
why?
JE Sawyer said:
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.
what if Sawyer is like "challenge accepted"?

Cross

Arcane
why?
JE Sawyer said:

So let me get this straight:

He says he found Dark Messiah "frustrating to actually play".

But he also has a billion hours in Skyrim, a first-person RPG with vastly inferior melee combat, ranged combat, stealth, magic and pretty much anything gameplay-related compared to Dark Messiah.

:philosoraptor:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You probably haven't been here long enough to know that Roguey puts way too much stock in ancient quotes drudged up from the archives.

BTW in the Digital Dragons talk Josh says he's still not working on any particular project atm.

Wunderbar

Arcane
But he also has a billion hours in Skyrim, a first-person RPG with vastly inferior melee combat, ranged combat, stealth, magic and pretty much anything gameplay-related compared to Dark Messiah.

:philosoraptor:
he played it was for research

Quillon

Arcane
Its no secret we're much more aware IRL than in FPP in games, even ArmA devs were considering adding a compass(from shacktaq UI mod) which showed nearby soldiers who are around/behind the player to compensate, don't know if they kept it tho.

He avoids melee combat with always playing a stealth archer, as every normal person would do.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
MfEgd4M.png

Also:
i’m insanely bad at this game but lmaoed when a guy taunted me w/ the arms wide open pose and i killed him mid pose with a throwing axe.
i'm still in the 1:2 k:d range
mrnegative.png

It seems likely that he's working on it, though. He's worked on things he liked much less, and Obsidian's Skyrim would certainly have a third-person view anyway. Plus it's a chance to deliver a hit again and restore his reputation with the owners division directors.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
The Outer Worlds hasn't, so I doubt that.
That's a budget problem, which in theory ObsdiRim wouldn't have (And given how many people are upset there is no third-person view in TOW or Cyberpunk 2077, it would be on the top of the list.)

Mikeal

Arcane
Allright lads which one of you wrote this?

Thank God Microsoft bought these people out.
Have a free rant. How can you actually go from making one of the greatest games in the history of man to this?

Kickstarted some of the worst games I've ever played, brought shame to the isometric genre with some of the most boring quests I've ever seen and gary-sue characters, shoehorned wayyy to much fat disgusting characters making each game uglier than the next, writing in every game is a large wall of text that clearly didn't go through an editor, and piggybacking on baldur's gate to sell to fans of a cult classic you will never be able to top.

Most games might as well be abandonware considering the bugs these guys never got around to fixing and obviously never will.

Hopefully Microsoft will imprison them into publisher slavery where these people belong.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/362960/discussions/0/1638661595048057516/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom