Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
Why not 4E? It's got by far the best tactical combat of any D&D edition, it would be great for a CRPG.
Because 4E is too balanced and boring, balance is the worse that can happen to a fantasy game.We want fun ,unbalanced stuff, spend hours thinking out builds to break the system.
LOL, 5e is way more balanced than 4e. 5e is nearly impossible to cheese, while 4e had a ton of broken combos. One of the selling points of 5e is that doesn't require the DM to watch out for overpowered characters.
Impossible to cheese ? Sorcadin, avenger paladin with some level of sorc for more spell slots to burn , smoke a boss with your smites in one turn. The DM has to watch out. Maybe you are playing with nice unexperienced guys :). So many way on how to break it and have fun, the horrors my players can do...
I wouldn't call it "cheese" when a standard build single class paladin can do the same thing. That's the baseline, not "broken"

PapaPetro

After seeing the Nautiloid, I'm getting a vibe that githyanki will play a part in the story. The CHARNAME will travel to the astral plane and will somehow get the Githyanki to counter the Illithid threat and work on a solution to ensure that both the gith and flayers fuck off from Toril afterwards.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So Witcher 3: Baldur's Gate edition. You *know* WotC told them to make it "like that witch game". Clearing nests of mindflayers strewn about the city, collecting mindflayer spunk to win a prize, collect 8 mindflayer tentacles quests, Witcher Bhaalspawn vision, etc.

hexer

Awesome seeing they're having fun at work :D

I tell you, a faithful rendition of the process shown would be far more horrifying and body horror than the version they went with.

Do you have an example of a cutscene that is up to your standards?

Just one quick example: within the second novel, Abdel Adrian has sex with Bohdi.

I wish this were an option in the game. Baby got back. https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/90483/1428321-baldurs_gate_2___bodhi.jpg

Why the hell did I thought you were a girl? :lol:

Cael

Arcane
After seeing the Nautiloid, I'm getting a vibe that githyanki will play a part in the story. The CHARNAME will travel to the astral plane and will somehow get the Githyanki to counter the Illithid threat and work on a solution to ensure that both the gith and flayers fuck off from Toril afterwards.
The gith wouldn't want to be on Toril. It screws them up big time with the aging thing.

Mortmal

Arcane
So what's the general consensus for the best rulest for a BG3?
There's no consensus, codexers playing videogames are already rare. Those who play them AND play pnp are incredibly rare . So i'll give you my expert answer, ruleset doesn't matter much, all of them would be good except 4E, as long the story telling is great.
Why not 4E? It's got by far the best tactical combat of any D&D edition, it would be great for a CRPG.
Because 4E is too balanced and boring, balance is the worse that can happen to a fantasy game.We want fun ,unbalanced stuff, spend hours thinking out builds to break the system.
LOL, 5e is way more balanced than 4e. 5e is nearly impossible to cheese, while 4e had a ton of broken combos. One of the selling points of 5e is that doesn't require the DM to watch out for overpowered characters.
Impossible to cheese ? Sorcadin, avenger paladin with some level of sorc for more spell slots to burn , smoke a boss with your smites in one turn. The DM has to watch out. Maybe you are playing with nice unexperienced guys :). So many way on how to break it and have fun, the horrors my players can do...
I wouldn't call it "cheese" when a standard build single class paladin can do the same thing. That's the baseline, not "broken"
Some baseline class are already better than the others by far, moon druid for exemple, huge hp buffer versatility oh and the wildshape.. Everything your character ever encountered.While classes like monk are just meh.

Sykar

Arcane
I want to be a mind flayer!

aac278fba93bb17ab01c41dd05c0a4e7.jpg

Quatlo

Arcane
I'm kinda spooked by all the DND 5e merch lying around but eh, I guess it is to be expected.

The huge majority of WRPGs do not involve saving the world. Let's see:
- Baldur's Gate I,
- Baldur's Gate II,
- Planescape: Torment,
- Icewind Dale,
- Icewind Dale II,
- Neverwinter Nights,
- Neverwinter Nights - Both Expansions,
- Neverwinter Nights II,
- Neverwinter Nights II - Mask of the Betrayer,
- Pillars of Eternity,
- Pillars of Eternity II,
- Dragon Age: Origins,
- Dragon Age II,

Actually, the only one I can think of post 1998 is Arcanum, Mass Effect and maybe Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I would consider NWN 1 OC "save the world" game. You stop a master lizard race, which previously held world dominion, from returning. You even meet a person from another dimension who's realm was conquered by them. Also, in Icewind Dale I, you stop a portal from the Abyss from spilling its limitless armies into Faerun. That's something that only really comes across in the final confrontation, but it's technically a world saving moment.

Apparently the Illithid angle refers back to the whole "The Hidden" quasi-subplot in BG2, the Illithid base under Athkatla, and the references of Illithid infiltration of the Sword-Coast in for example Durlags Tower.

Awwwww, yeah. That's really good. Also don't forget that Torgal from De'Arnise Keep was also alluded to have been directed by mindflayers. This is link enough to justify carrying the title if they follow through on keeping the spirit and gameplay intact. Only a real true fan of those games would have thought to expand this plot. Hope!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom