Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Back at GDC, Google demonstrated that Stadia games would be playable on Chromecasts, Chrome OS devices, and Pixel phones.

O shit, this is pretty big. Basically stadia is free on any device that runs chrome OS, you just download the app. The $60 chromecast is only required if your device doesn't have one built in, but lots of smart tvs these days have them.

So it's like, a free console. Again if they can get more developers behind it this will totally kill off xbox and playstation, which would be awesome because fuck those consoles. Unfortunately I doubt nintendo would ever put their games on this, and nintendo is really the only console developer these days that makes ok games.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
So it's like, a free console. Again if they can get more developers behind it this will totally kill off xbox and playstation, which would be awesome because fuck those consoles.
I'm confused. What is your reasoning for supporting Google but hating on Microsoft and Sony? You realize all of them want to screw you over, don't you?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

thread needs a poll so that we can see how many of us would actually pay to subscribe to the new electric jew - laggy gameplay edition.

Codex Year of the Donut
So it's like, a free console. Again if they can get more developers behind it this will totally kill off xbox and playstation, which would be awesome because fuck those consoles.
I'm confused. What is your reasoning for supporting Google but hating on Microsoft and Sony? You realize all of them want to screw you over, don't you?
Stadia uses Linux therefore Stadia promotes games being made for Linux

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Google has given us:
  • Google search engine
  • Gmail
  • Youtube
  • Maps
  • Drive
  • A full clone of microsoft office
  • Google AI (assistant etc..)
  • Translate
  • Earth
  • Hangouts
All totally free, immensely useful, usable on any OS, etc.. Android is the most open source of any mobile OS. A cheap chromecast lets you stream basically anything to anywhere.

Google gives so much great stuff. And most of it's free. Compare google to apple, microsoft, sony

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Stadia servers use Linux which means the games themselves need Linux builds
Still, no thanks. The advances DXVK and others have made over the past year means playing Win32/Win64 games on Linux will eventually be very viable.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik

Google has given us:
  • Google search engine
  • Gmail
  • Youtube
  • Maps
  • Drive
  • Translate
  • Earth
  • Hangouts
All totally free, immensely useful, usable on any OS, etc.. Android is the most open source of any mobile OS. A cheap chromecast lets you stream basically anything to anywhere.

Google gives so much great stuff. And most of it's free. Compare google to apple, microsoft, sony
At the cost of you privacy. But what's that, right?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games cant possibly be priced at full price on Stadia. No offline play, always on DRM, no mods, no physical copy, if they arent at a heavy discount most people wont buy... most sane people at least.

you're paying a play everywhere on any device without installation (as long as you have the Gb/s connection)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Even if I granted this point (which I don't, and no company is ever your friend anyway), it doesn't change the dynamics of the current situation. If my best friend who's a great guy bangs my wife, he still banged my wife. DRM already challenged the idea of ownership to a point I'm uncomfortable with, but this just throws it out the window. Add on top of that mouse control in an FPS with streaming latency, it's sort of a LOL in my head. That doesn't mean I doubt its chances though, as Netflix and whatnot have already shown the convenience and subscription format will entice people, as long as it feels playable with a controller, and there's nothing any of us can do about that. You're probably the "normal" one here, being excited about it. Oh well.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Stadia uses Linux therefore Stadia promotes games being made for Linux
PS4 runs on BSD therefore PS4 promotes games being made for BSD.
iKgYKkJ.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Google has given us:
  • Google search engine
  • Gmail
  • Youtube
  • Maps
  • Drive
  • Translate
  • Earth
  • Hangouts

Look at all the edgy idiots who rate your post retard, disagree, sheeple etc etc, while using many of these services day to day for free and they are probably satisfied with them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And Microsoft has given us Windows, which 99% of us use for gaming. Heil Microsoft.
You write this ironically, but it is actually true. There is nothing more hipocritical than using windows for decades without any major problems, and then painting MS as the devil himself. Oh excuse me, if you don't like Windows, you can migrate to Linux, there are plenty of games there, even if not every game.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In a decade at Google:

• 'Hey guys I have this great idea!'
    'We killed gaming computers and consoles and took their stuff with streaming. That's great. How about we kill computers all together?'
  • 'You think they'll go for it?'
  • 'We already have their gaming data, their e-mail, their browsing data, their phone data and their online documents. We already supply their browser and operating system. They'll go for it.'
    'We'll market it as liberating them from burden of buying and maintaining their computer. No more hassle! Just stream "your" computer anywhere to you, to any device!'
    'They'll give us all their personal data and feed us their computing habits, and we'll make them pay a subscription for it.'
  • 'Genius'

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You write this ironically, but it is actually true. There is nothing more hipocritical than using windows for decades without any major problems, and then painting MS as the devil himself. Oh excuse me, if you don't like Windows, you can migrate to Linux, there are plenty of games there, even if not every game.

It's not a devil or a saint, they're just doing what they're supposed to in a capitalist system, make as much money from us as possible. Sometimes it's a fair trade, sometimes it's not, and one example being worth it (Windows, Youtube) doesn't mean all examples will be (Xbox, Stadia).The point is appreciating Google's products over there doesn't mean you can't bash the one over here. They're not neighbors you have to be nice to at the BBQ because they let you borrow the lawnmower.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm really upset at Google trying very hard to display the right ad on the right screen.

This is a total breach of my constutitional rights and everyone there should be shot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just like with streaming video, they don't have to get it anywhere near perfect. Just "good enough" that Joe Sixpack won't care because of convenience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom