Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Another game had a TON of misses and (most of) you faggots liked it...

Grimoire!

MISS!
NO PENETRATION!
:troll:

Zep--

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
300 people working on this guise, this is a bigger team than the whole Obsidian, chances for this to be even close to a traditional RPG are quite slim. At best, we can expect a dumb down NWN 2 or a Dragon Age origins. If the game was to be an isometric TB game, they wouldn't bother changing engines.

Most probably open world. Very popular these days. Instant extra marketing blowjobs.

Zeriel

Arcane
He didn't necessarily lie. Stuff like determining hits with a dice roll indeed doesn't work in video games... if those are action video games. Morrowind is all the evidence you need. If that's indeed the direction they've taken (player skill over character skill), then all that talk about D&D not working one-to-one makes perfect sense.

Altering dice rolls is inherently decline. Even XCOM 2 devs knew that and kept it restricted to easy difficulty modes.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If anyone still believed in Swen:

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

Vincke suggests the game will be heavily systems-driven and Larian will be creating its own D&D-inspired ruleset. "We'll stay true to our roots, so we'll give players lots of systems and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your personal adventure and your party's adventure. That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing. But then there will be an interpretation of D&D, because if you port the core rules—we tried it!—to a videogame, it doesn't work."

“We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

Ohhh GOD... reading all this and I'm getting really bad vibes

- modified 5E rules
- new engine
- dice rolls are bad, missing attacks is bad (Sounds like Todd)
- player skill > character skill
- open world freedom (I vomited in my mouth a little... srsly I like open world, but must every game be it? )

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, this is awful. A big part of why ie games (and now Kingmaker as well) worked for me is that they tried to follow the existing ruleset as close as they could in a rtwp computer game. And they can't do the same with a simpler system, and possibly even in a turn based game? Or do they think they could do better? Fuck, I'm getting PoE flashbacks here.

I'm okay with them making decline games for casuals, but at least be honest about it. The only part that ticked me off there was him claiming that it doesn't work. Excuse me, then what the fuck was Temple of Elemental Evil? Don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining. It's fine if they want to make a shit D&D game that has no actual D&D rules, but communicate that instead of saying it's impossible to implement D&D rules, which is just patently false.
It would be even worse in a Pen and Paper game where you control a single individual, in which rounds would take longer, because people would either have to sketch their position on a sheet of paper, or describe what they are doing precisely (or move miniatures around the board and pretend these are totally not toy soldiers).

Can you imagine not hitting your opponent for several minutes in a row?

6E should completely remove dice, and make damage fixed for each action.

"Set 100 years after the events of the original games, Baldur's Gate 3 will utilize Dungeons and Dragon's 5th Edition Rules. But that doesn't mean that Baldur's Gate 3 will be an isometric RPG like BioWare's old Infinity Engine games. Rather, it will have its own identity, Larian founder Swen Vincke tells USG."

why pick larian, company who only cares about writing shitty jokes and forcing memes, to do this? Maybe they'll pay some goofy brit half a million to narrate?

Okay well that settles it then, if the above quote from him is true, I'll take a hard pass.

And what he means by BG III having "its own identity" is that it will have the identity of a DoS game and not infinity engine game...massive decline..

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit."

:prosper:

Baldurs Gate III has already begun... a mind flayer has sucked todd howards brain into swens body

“We started with a very rigorous port of the ruleset. Then we started looking at what worked and what didn’t work. Because obviously, it’s a video game, so not everything translates very well. We modified where it made sense to start modifying,” Vincke said.

One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”

Baldur’s Gate III will not use the same game engine as the Original Sin series. “We’ve been in development on this game for several years already. It’s not the same engine as those two, but it is our own engine. It’s built on the technology that we already have,” Vincke said.

All this plus the no comment on the isometric probably means it's gonna be some third person action crap....

The sad part is that Bioware ported 2e to RTwP format back in 1998; Troika ported 3.5e to TB in 2003; and these schmucks can't do the same today. Furthermore Bioware already came up with a solution for 'misses' back when they made NWN; the characters actually showed misses by actively dodging and parrying attacks (same with KOTOR a few years later that used the d20 Star Wars ruleset based on D&D also by WOTC).

I knew it was a mistake for Larian to get the license.

and the decline continues apace...in fact, I believe we might only be able to have incline during down cycles because during or after up cycles all the previous low and mid level companies who used to be enthusiasts think they can become Electronic Arts...

:prosper:

I can't fucking believe he is saying this dumb shit about dice when the games he is basing Baldur's Gate III on -- that is, Baldur's Gate I and II -- HAD MOTHERFUCKING DICE IN THEM. THE WHOLE REASON "BALDUR'S GATE III" MEANS ANYTHING TO ANYBODY IS BECAUSE OF THE TWO GAMES BEFORE IT, AND THEY WERE LOADED WITH DICE ROLLS. DICE ALL THE TIME, EVERY FUCKING WHERE, FOR EVERYTHING, DICE UP YOUR ASS AND COMING OUT OF YOUR FUCKING NOSE AND BALLS. JESUS H FUCKIGN CHRIST I AM GOING INSANE FROM RAGE

but what if you pressed a button....omg I almost can't even make myself type this sentence its so horrible to contemplate.....but what if you pressed a button and......something awesome did NOT happen?

BTW what is the logic behind a statement like this? "Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game?"

If he is okay with missing in tabletop why not a computer game? What about a computer game makes it not okay? I don't understand. Or is he just babbling away and really his reason is spazes and morons don't like missing and he is making a game for spazes and morons?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Or is he just babbling away and really his reason is spazes and morons don't like missing and he is making a game for spazes and morons?

As I said in another thread, it makes no sense what he's saying.

As for the not working well in a videogame part even though it worked just fine in the games for which they are making a sequel is the standard bullshit where old games sucked and new games are better in every way and modern gamers are more intelligent and discerning. I mean, if early access, pre-orders, DLCs and microtransactions don't show how intelligent and discerning moders gamers are and how much better games are today I don't know what does.

In other words, you were just too stupid to realize that dice rolls didn't work in BG.

Makes more sense if he's not thinking of turnbased combat, but Morrowind's style where you can shoot an arrow through someone and it can be considered a miss if you're unskilled.

edit: Or it's marketing-speak to say misses will be defined some other way, yes.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I can't fucking believe he is saying this dumb shit about dice when the games he is basing Baldur's Gate III on -- that is, Baldur's Gate I and II -- HAD MOTHERFUCKING DICE IN THEM. THE WHOLE REASON "BALDUR'S GATE III" MEANS ANYTHING TO ANYBODY IS BECAUSE OF THE TWO GAMES BEFORE IT, AND THEY WERE LOADED WITH DICE ROLLS. DICE ALL THE TIME, EVERY FUCKING WHERE, FOR EVERYTHING, DICE UP YOUR ASS AND COMING OUT OF YOUR FUCKING NOSE AND BALLS. JESUS H FUCKIGN CHRIST I AM GOING INSANE FROM RAGE

I am honestly a little shocked that people thought Swen Cucke was good. I remember back in the day no one gave Divine Divinity a molecule of attention. It was like a third-rate game that you'd *maybe* pick up during a really slow month.

Their best game is probably L.E.D. wars.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Its because during the height of the dark days of "muh turnbased games are dead" he made a turn-based game that had a lot of the trappings of table top D&D (i.e attacks of opportunity, positioning mattering a lot). Even at the time some of his statements struck me as a bit silly, though, like him saying that the chief motivation behind making D:OS was to have a game to play with his girlfriend.

I think that's where a lot of the irritation comes from on our part, tbh. D:OS's engine and framework was more suited than most to implement D&D, since it already has the building blocks of how its combat works out, but instead we have him not even using the same engine and saying dice rolls are bad mmkay.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I am honestly a little shocked that people thought Swen Cucke was good. I remember back in the day no one wanted to touch Divine Divinity with a 10 feet stick. It was like a third-rate RPG that you'd maybe pick up during a really dry month of games.

Their best game is probably L.E.D. wars.

I've always thought their gameplay was fine, just not for me. I gave up on their most recent Divinity because the armor system was frustrating and dumb, and combat basically revolved around exploding barrels. It quickly grew boring.

But worst of all, their storytelling is mediocre at best, and sometimes downright cringey. And they are not funny. At all. And they are the fucking worst when they try to be funny.

Murk

Arcane
What do you mean, I thought it was hilarious that I could reunite a guard with her father-turned-meat-golem and then butcher them both because I wanted that healing ring back.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
This is going to be utter trash, who would expect anything good after the DOS 1 and 2 from Larian? Plus this reeks of AAA action-rpg modeled very much after Dragon Age 2 and 3.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If he is okay with missing in tabletop why not a computer game? What about a computer game makes it not okay? I don't understand. Or is he just babbling away and really his reason is spazes and morons don't like missing and he is making a game for spazes and morons?
Half of that because most developers want an easy life for themselves (AKA, not a legion of morons whining and review bombing them on steam) and half of that because they are ashamed into admit they are dumbing down their games as their audience can't handle anything more complex than clicking on bad guy until he dies.

and half of that because they are ashamed into admit they are dumbing down their games as their audience can't handle anything more complex than clicking on bad guy until he dies.

I resisted posting this when I mentioned Morrowind above but you forced my hand

CluelessWebbedAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

(notice the fatigue bar)

DeepOcean

Arcane
and half of that because they are ashamed into admit they are dumbing down their games as their audience can't handle anything more complex than clicking on bad guy until he dies.

I resisted posting this when I mentioned Morrowind above but you forced my hand

CluelessWebbedAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

(notice the fatigue bar)
There are people still searching for Caius Cosades man, so Morrowind at least tested your text interpretation skills.:lol:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom