Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Pyreen

Educated
Is anyone actually working on a translation patch for Wizardry Forsaken Lands 2 (Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo)?

One of the few games I'd absolutely love to play in this life time.:cry:

Same here, but afaik the text files are encrypted/compressed.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
so I was browsing a japanese store and saw some pictures of the new exp inc. drpg. Well I thought it was a new game but it does seem to be Student of Round(same character) game with weird art. sigh.

heh I just translated the description and it is a remake of student of round. well hopefully they balance things because it was weird...

Ventidius

Arbiter
So Labyrinth of Lost Souls still hasn't been released yet. Kind of annoying that the flow of Japanese Wiz-likes to the West has slowed down so much. For a while there, we were getting like one serious crawler every 1 or 2 years or so. Elminage Original in 2012, Elminage Gothic in 2014, Dungeon Travelers 2 in 2015, Stranger of Sword City in 2016, and Operation Babel in 2017. Last couple of years have been kind of sluggish by comparison. I hope they get around releasing Labyrinth Cross Blood or Dungeon Travelers 2-2 in the West soon. Maybe even Elminage 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
yeah I guess they're having trouble with wizardry lately. When Wizrogue came out, a few weeks later they had to change the name of all spell. I wonder what's the problem this time since Lost soul doesn't use the original spell name...

and last 2-3 years have been slow indeed, but exp inc. is finally back making drpg, so I suppose Nis america will pick up the remake of student of round and port it to ps4, like they did with demon gaze 2. Elminage probably scares a lot of people to translate, while we got gothic and original, we still never had the translated information for items description...

Ventidius

Arbiter
Apparently, the name is going to be Blue-Winged Chevalier. Here's some more info I found about it:

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/blue-winged-chevalier-debut-trailer

Blue-Winged-Chevalier-PV_06-18-19.jpg

Experience has released the debut trailer for Blue-Winged Chevalier, its upcoming remake of Students of Round.

Here is an overview of the game, via Japanese retailers:

Story

—868 AD. The final battle between light and darkness in the Demon Castle Dreigohr. The battle between the Demon King Ol-Ohma and the Knights of Round came to a close at the end of the AD chronicle, but it was recorded in extreme brevity.

The defeat of light—.

From then on, the land of Alda was covered in despair. Darkness ate into the land and sea. People driven by madness, hordes of monsters baring fangs. In a world ruled by the Demon King, the peace that once existed was no longer.

—100 years from that day, the knight that had once fallen was given new life and again stood upon the earth.

For an oath made on a day long ago that could not be fulfilled. To guide the “students” that await in this new age. And to defeat the Demon King with the “power of bonds.”

Somewhere in Alda where cold rain pours, the curtain quietly rises on the battle between light and darkness.

The “genuine bonds” with your students are indispensable—.

About

Deepen your bonds and fly through the sky!

Soar again, 10 years later. Rise again as a knight of light, deepen your bonds with your “student” comrades, and challenge the power of darkness. By adding simulation elements like eating and dialogue to the traditional elements of dungeon RPGs like character creation, dungeon exploration, and item collection, players will experience a dramatic and personal story.

Key Features

• One Last Traditional Fantasy Dungeon RPG for PS Vita – As Experience’s final title for PS Vita, this remake of the oft-requested Students of the Roundleverages the experience we’ve amassed over the past 10 years to create a dungeon RPG that you can enjoy comfortably and to your heart’s content.
  • So Many New Features, You Will Want to Play Again – The character graphics and event CG are newly drawn. A new “Character Creation” feature has been implemented. You can enjoy various customizations based on your play style. On top of that, other elements like the addition of challenging “Trial Quests” and remastered background music are also present.
  • Includes Stranger of Sword City RevisitedStranger of Sword City Revisited, which is set several hundred years after Blue-Winged Chevalier, is included with the game. Enjoy a traditional fantasy dungeon RPG with profound graphics, where you are reborn in another world, at a value to your benefit.
Blue-Winged Chevalier is due out digitally for PS Vita on July 11 in Japan, and physically on July 25.

Supposedly, it will be a remake of Students of the Round, I've heard of that game but haven't played it. Has anyone here tried it?

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I played it. the atmosphere was good but the balance was a bit weird, my fighters weren't doing much against bosss and it was just my wizard doing the whole job mostly, this was on hard difficulty, on easy you can just spam the team attack 2-3 time and it kills every boss. if this does include stranger of sword city, I'll have that game like 5 times -_-

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can anybody recommend which version of Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga should i play?
Both the snes and psx look great but is there any fundamental differences between them?

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Oh,and is the psx version of iv any good? That is the only game in the original series i haven't played.

CallMeSnek

Novice
I will assert that the PS1 ports are the way to go. Half of Wizardry is navigating the dungeons, and that's much easier on the PS1 version, as there's much smoother movements from square to square. It comes with an auto-map if you're into that. It's also much simpler to recover from your whole party being teleported into the wall on the final floor, as they couldn't implement autosave with the PS1's slow memory card. The main advantage of Wiz on SNES is better looking artwork, and simpler performance requirements. I was still able to emulate PS1 Wiz on my phone though, so it's not that big of a deal.

Here's my old notes:

Read the manual (especially for spell descriptions, which you’ll need). There’s a mechanics guide online that can help significantly ( http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/walk/w123calc.htm ).

Don't worry about stats too much. Stats only really much difference at the high and low ends. If you really want to get the stats to roll samurais, but don't want to spend forever re-rolling, remember that Cheat Engine works on emulators.

Casting your group-wide spells before the enemy moves (agility) matters a lot in Wizardry-style games. Make sure you have a thief (opens chests), cleric (heals and fixes status ailments), and mage (gets some nice group spells, particularly the last one); and you'll want some front liners; 3 samurais is probably optimal.

Actually, in the beginning, you might want to have another mage instead of a thief, and change him to a thief later (mind the stat requirements); the loot you get in the first floors all sucks, and by the time you're strong enough to venture deeper, you can bring a thief up to speed relatively quickly.

It's most convenient if most of your party is neutral; good/bad characters swap alignment rather sporadically, and ironically also refuse to party with characters of opposite alignment. Pain in the butt, especially in the Wizardry 3, where half the floors block parties with characters of the opposite alignment. It takes absolutely forever to fix alignment. It's been a while but I think Wiz 2 retains character levels, but not equipment; and Wiz 3 transfers only class and alignment. Not sure about spell carry-over.

Fighters are flat-out inferior to samurais/lords. Samurais are plausible to roll from the start; doing that, you don't lose your bonus points changing classes to them. Bishops aren’t quite as good as they sound, as they gain levels and spell levels really slowly. Ninjas can’t be neutral, and are a good deal less effective at trap-disarming (I think it’s half the flat bonus thieves get {50% vs 25%}). I’d stick with a thief myself. If you want to bother, you could turn a mage into a thief for a few extra spells. Can't remember how exactly spell levels work when you swap classes, but that's a big deal in Wizardry. I don't think that's really necessary for Wiz 1-3 though.

Sleep only in the stables, using your cleric to heal; it's cheaper and you don't run into aging, which decreases your vitality.

Try not to cheat, as the tension is the whole point. If you're not gonna reload after wipeouts; you're gonna need a rescue party on standby to haul their butts out. Also, running is ludicrously effective (too much, imo). Don't let the undead touch you.

When you gain use of the giant elevator, I'd recommend only using it to get to floors you've already gotten to via stairs - or the whole game just breaks down. After the elevator, there's nothing else of interest on any of the floors besides the final boss (the keys and statues don't do anything).

Expect to constantly drag your ass back to town because one dude got poisoned. Old school wiz be like that.

I used this party:
Sam N
Sam N
Sam N
Thief N
Priest G
Mage N

To turn on English, hit these red options:

QWm5nZs.png

1. Message - Jap(1) Jap(2) English
2. Monster name - Jap English
3. Item name - Jap English
4. Spell Name - Jap English
5. Monster Display - Classic Playstation
6. Dungeon - Wireframe Polygon
7. Sound - Stereo Mono
8. BGM - ON OFF
9. Sound Effects - ON OFF
10. Combat Effects - ON OFF
11. Automap - ON OFF
12. Controller Settings
13. Exit

The order may or may not be a little different (?).

Last edited:

CallMeSnek

Novice
Actually, I think the best Wizardry advice would be to not worry too much about optimal party builds or whatever. Too many people get overwhelmed by this and quit before they start.

Really, you can just jump in and wing it, and if you've got a halfway balanced party (some melee, thievery, healing, magic), you'll get there eventually, one way or another. You could even just use the pregen party. Honest!

If later you should come to a point where you feel you need a different party composition, by then you'll be in a good position to grind new/reclassed characters up to speed, and you'll have a much better idea of what you need.

Last edited:

CallMeSnek

Novice
Is that stuff (particularily no auto-save) applicable to New Age of Llylgamyn as well?

There's no auto-save on either due to hardware limitations. The PS1 ports are the definitive way to play Wizardry 1-5, so far as I know.

Unlike Wizardry III, alignment doesn't really come into play except in deciding class and party compatibility (and some equipment, but that doesn't really matter). If you're extremely consistent with not fighting friendly monsters or vice versa, then you'll be fine. Iirc, it probably affects reclassing though. Wizardry V is hard and long enough that you probably want a good number of characters with spells; and priests require non-neutral alignment.

I think Wiz 5 might've had less status ailment backtracking than Wiz 1; but it has a lot of annoying inventory management and backtracking due to too many quest items. No pointless empty floors though.

The battle mechanics are almost exactly the same.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I am almost done with the remake of student of round...not sure what to think of it, they added some kind of challenge but you basically refight some monster/boss but at higher lvl(there's a few new monster that are from stranger of sword city), some of the challenge have restriction too, but it's not too bad.
the game allows to change sub class with your character, so at least you're not stuck with it if you want to change but I feel most class are ok on their own, sub class doesn't add much...I ended up putting paladin with most of my character.
there are few other minor change, but other than that it's pretty much like the psp version I guess except without voice .

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls will be finally on STEAM.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/948640/Wizardry_Labyrinth_of_Lost_Souls/

Damn you! Thought there'd been an update to the release date with you posting this, but no, still absolute silence from Xseed. In case you didn't notice, this should have released at the end of May, but there was a 'last minute unforeseen delay' involving licensing that has kept it dead in the water for over 2 months. Complete lack of any communication from publishers or developers.

I'm starting to think it's more likely we'll never see this than it gets a Steam release.

Max Edge

Damn you! Thought there'd been an update to the release date with you posting this, but no, still absolute silence from Xseed. In case you didn't notice, this should have released at the end of May, but there was a 'last minute unforeseen delay' involving licensing that has kept it dead in the water for over 2 months. Complete lack of any communication from publishers or developers.

I'm starting to think it's more likely we'll never see this than it gets a Steam release.

On polish site is information about this month.

https://www.gry-online.pl/gry/wizardry-labyrinth-of-the-lost-souls/z02cc8

Personally, I bet on September.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom