Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex, the RPG

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
(possibly unoriginal idea) It would be nice to have more RPG-like options in the Codex forums.
Currently we have various reaction emoticons with which we can express approval, disdain, or a whole range of other emotions towards others' posts. This is already more than most forums have. But why stop there?

Why not implement a full-blown RPG system where certain users have unique powers and abilities, such as access to the archives (viewing others' post history), changing your past (editing one's own posts) or even, at one's most powerful, mind-control (editing others' posts). (yes, I am aware you can already do the first two by default. What I'm saying is you can restrict this option for new users and let them "unlock" it with time). And obviously, there would be systems in place to prevent spamming, grinding, etc.
Or for example the ability to put up a
((forcefield)) around a controversial post to prevent it from being bombarded with negative emoticons.
For a powerful evil character there could be an option to
blot out the posts directly around his own, making their text darker while brightening one's own.
These are just examples. It could also be something much better.
Obviously there's little chance of something like this being actually implemented, but it's fun to fantasize.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Or for example the ability to put up a ((forcefield)) around a controversial post to prevent it from being bombarded with negative emoticons.
Just imagine all known Codex lefties being able to forcefield their GD posts.
There could be some countermeasures to a force field, such as once-per-month Breach spell (the only emoticon available on a shielded post, and only to high-level users, after usage the post becomes open to attack again)

RickOmbo

Learned
It isn't real RPG without this button

9RIugwO.png

Don Peste

Arcane
Shouldn't it be "Codex, the RPG"?
"Codex, the RPG Game" sounds a bit better, I think. More accurate.

Anyway, OP, you should try pitching your idea to the RPG Watch, I think they were actually discussing about implementing something similar to that.

SniperHF

Arcane
I read the title and thought it would be something like the Nameless Mod but instead you meant some crappy Xenforo features.

mondblut

Arcane
Why not implement a full-blown RPG system where certain users have unique powers and abilities, such as access to the archives (viewing others' post history), changing your past (editing one's own posts) or even, at one's most powerful, mind-control (editing others' posts). (yes, I am aware you can already do the first two by default. What I'm saying is you can restrict this option for new users and let them "unlock" it with time). And obviously, there would be systems in place to prevent spamming, grinding, etc.
Or for example the ability to put up a ((forcefield)) around a controversial post to prevent it from being bombarded with negative emoticons.
For a powerful evil character there could be an option to
blot out the posts directly around his own, making their text darker while brightening one's own.

We have it all already. Thing is, the moderators are the players here, while we are just NPCs with Radiant AI.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Back around 2001-2002 I used to do choose-your-adventure RPG games on boards like this one with friends. I'm not sure about forcefields and super powers, but they were fun. Ever since the arrival of social media, ppl have lost the fine art of message board fun. It almost brings a tear to my jaundiced, cynical eye.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom