Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was turn-based or real-time?

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was turn-based or real-time?

• Turn-based

Votes: 134 74.9%
  • Real-time

Votes: 45 25.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
a heated debate

Arulan

Cipher
Real-Time with Pause and Real-Time aren't the same thing. I assume you mean the former?

Modron

Arcane
Real Time with Pause and Round Based Real Time with Pause are not the same thing. I assume you mean the later.

Arulan

Cipher
grpgdiscussion.gif

Modron

Arcane
Just saying there are pure real time games out there with pauses in which you can enter commands and then there are Infinity Engine likes with round based real time combat in which your character can do x amount of actions per round. Quite a different beast and lazy to lump then together in my opinion.

Artyoan

Arbiter
My best guess is the game is more like a combination of Dragon's Dogma and Baldur's Gate. Make a character, party members are for the most part customizable AI that learns, and multiplayer is just replacing AI with a friend or two. Which I would like if its done well.

There is no reason to be cagey with those basic details unless its a more drastic departure. So real time. Pause is only necessary if control over the party members exceeds what I think it will. Which is what I prefer. But I could be way off base. Its a numbered title but what would be the point of withholding if he wasn't waiting for a better moment to explain why its so different?

Last edited:

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Real-Time with Pause and Real-Time aren't the same thing. I assume you mean the former?
This is always a little funny to me, because hell, Quake and Assassin's Creed are real-time with pause.

Should be "real-time with queue".

Generic-Giant-Spider

REAL TIME WITH PAUSE CARD GAME BASED LOOSELY ON 5E D&D WITH LOOTBOXES, CRAFTING, ROGUELIKE DUNGEONS AND OODLES UPON OODLES OF DATING SIM DIALOGUE TREES.

MINSC NEEDS TO BE THE TUTORIAL GUIDE, EDWIN IS THE NPC IN THE STORE MENU AND VICONIA IS NOW A WOKE DROW THAT DON'T NEED NO MAN

IT'S TIME FOR INCLINE BABY

Arulan

Cipher
Just saying there are pure real time games out there with pauses in which you can enter commands and then there are Infinity Engine likes with round based real time combat in which your character can do x amount of actions per round. Quite a different beast and lazy to lump then together in my opinion.

:D Fair enough. My comment was based on how the terms are used in discussion.

I think RTwP is a fine combat system. If you've played an RTS before you shouldn't have issues with the controls or party management, which seems to be the complaint I read the most. The other is treating pausing itself as a problem. While it shares similarities to RTS games, the goals are very different. Characters generally have a lot more actions available to them and the combat situation changes often (Knocked down, Poisoned, an enemy breaks through your front-line to your Wizard, etc.), in large part because it expects you to pause often to re-evaluation the situation and your character's next action.

That said, I prefer (good) TB. The turn itself might be the most important reason for this. It's a commitment that has immediate consequences. You can easily quantify the actions available to you and your opponent, and plan for them. D&D rules are based on it, and Larian has a lot of experience doing it well.

nrZk9Rl.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Turnbased style, best style.

In all honesty: I like to take my time and it helps me to keep an overview of enemy movement and stuff.

hexer

where are the "hybrid/timed phase", "optional like PoE 2" & "I don't care" options?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom