Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Codex should do an interview with Larian

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the few unambiguous points extracted from the post-announcement interviews is Swen Vincke's stated intent to get the community involved in the development in Baldur's Gate III, or at least open up some avenues of communication.

No source of criticism, from the Codex or otherwise, is going to change the kind of game Larian is going to be making. The game is too large an undertaking for that. Personally, my assumption is that we're getting Baldur's Gate: Origins, which honestly may not end up a bad game. But the Codex can still question Larian about the kind of engagement they are seeking. Unlike the Divinity franchise, which is basically Larian's own backyard, Baldur's Gate is an established franchise that deserves the scrutiny of more discerning perspectives, and the Codex should be the community to provide that.

It's obvious that there are questions about BG III that mainstream games coverage won't be asking any time soon, in no small part due to the participants' actual inexperience with the older Baldur's Gate games, but mostly due to the yes-man nature of gaming "press". The current batch of interviews attest to that intellectual bankruptcy.

Basically, we need someone to question what on earth Swen is saying when he says dice rolls result in too many misses and that it wouldn't review well. Not because he's absolutely wrong (which is something we don't yet know), but because the entire significance of the BG series is built on dice rolls (which is something we know), and dismissing that heritage so readily is something that should be questioned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We can do an interview, but it's pretty clear that the main problem with the current interviews lies not with the "yes-man nature" of the interviewers but with the fact that Larian aren't ready to reveal anything yet. Not too much point in doing an interview until we can be sure we won't just get a face full of no comment responses.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Basically, we need someone to question what on earth Swen is saying when he says dice rolls result in too many misses and that it wouldn't review well. Not because he's absolutely wrong (which is something we don't yet know), but because the entire significance of the BG series is built on dice rolls (which is something we know), and dismissing that heritage so readily is something that should be questioned.

Well, it's not rocket science. Today's gamers are dumber, and more impatient and not up for a challenge unlike 90s gamers and unless you're playing a first person shooter, you don't really see a miss these days based on a behind the scenes calculation it's usually a hit, or maybe a block/damage absorbed type situation.

BG3 is a cash grab, and aiming at the widest possible audience. The widest possible audience isn't going to want dice roll based misses, particularly if the combat is action oriented. Even in Pillars of Eternity, chance to miss was significantly reduced to make room for partial successes because 'missing isn't fun' (which I disagree with, but I'm a 'psychotic gamer').

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yet another reminder that the Kickstarter era has spoiled us and now we've gone back to the publisher/owner/marketing wall of secrecy.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ill be kind enough to explain the retardo badge i gave you.

Larian doesnt give a rats ass about your "community" and they certainly didnt mean just anyone and especially not the "codex" community. Its a PR schtick, not an actual intent to involve the "community" in anything except as naive useful idiots in marketing. Even if they agree to do an interview they wont say anything they are not ready to release to the other media.

Plus, there is E3 presentation to go through yet, which may clarify few details more.

Heinrich

Scholar
Ill be kind enough to explain the retardo badge i gave you.

Larian doesnt give a rats ass about your "community" and they certainly didnt mean just anyone and especially not the "codex" community. Its a PR schtick, not an actual intent to involve the "community" in anything except as naive useful idiots in marketing. Even if they agree to do an interview they wont say anything they are not ready to release to the other media.

Plus, there is E3 presentation to go through yet, which may clarify few details more.
Larian has a history of community interaction and actually taking that interaction seriously, including with the codex. During the development of Div:OS one and two they gave various community sites just as much access as game-journos and they used community feedback extensively in their development process.

This is just another example of base, uncreative edgelordism. If you're trying to be a contrarian, at least do it in a way that doesn't just make you a yes-man for another community.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
and they used community feedback extensively in their development process.

Really?

By Jove i would never! Oh gees thats so AWESOOOOME!
You might have noticed there is no crowdfunding now. And they did not accept early feedback about several things in DoS2 that now they admit weren't the best ideas.

Luculla Forest
There are the places you can buy skillbooks in Luculla Forest. They're all around the Silverglen Inn (x:76, y:138)

• Aerotheurge/Hydrophist - Windermer
  • Geomancer/Pyrokinetic - Hassat
  • Man-At-Arms - Hiver
  • Marksman - Aramintai
  • Scoundrel/Witchcraft - Vometia

Im too lazy to find a screenshot.

edit:
just make you a yes-man for another community.
:hahano:

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The dice roll comment relates entirely to this:

9fa.jpg

These people are incapable of understanding risk, chance and statistics. Especially when they try to disconnect real life from its incidental or accidental nature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom