Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can someone summarize to me the appeal of JRPGs?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
which ones have you tried?

Just Chrono Trigger and FF 7, but it was long ago and I haven't finished them.

I also heard good things about Vagrant Story and Xenogears (I think?).
Try Lufia 2. Very cosy, which is first and foremost the appeal of classic jRPGs imo.

Onionguy

Educated
which ones have you tried? I feel that most JRPGs get lumped in with either shitty animu shovelware or big budget Final Fantasy type casual shit. The ones most prominently talked about are generally the more casual or story focused games, like FF. Dragon Quest is infinitely better than FF games but aren't as popular in the west, DQ was made to be a mixing of Ultima style stories and adventuring with Wizardry based combat, the game is focused on world building and battles actually use buffing/debuffing (both the player needs to use these and the enemies will use these) unlike FF games which focus less on the systems and are generally more about the bombastic story and cutscenes. The better stuff is more niche while the more casual stuff is more mainstream like how Persona is more popular in the west because it is a lot more casual than the rest of the SMT franchise.

The only JRPG series I really play are Dragon Quest, SMT (except Persona waifushit) and Xeno series.. I would absolutely recommend playing a DQ game like 4 or 7 and any of the mainline SMT games, especially Strange Journey.

I agree with SMT and DQ, but what is so good about xeno series? Which ones do you like the most? I found xenogears to be fucking dull, and things like xenoblade 2, although mechanically complex, are downright disgusting on almost every other level.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
While not really being a JRPG, it only has RPG elements in character progression, Yakuza is also probably the most eye-opening experience possible in open world design. Since it leaves everything else completely in the dust.

Also it is the game series with maximum T.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
D8Tock8U0AQeenH.jpg
What game?

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
SaGa Frontier - Open world game where you can assemble your own party with 7 different starting characters with their own scenarios, something like 30 total characters, and some are mutually exclusive and it varies by who you started with and there's a ton of sidequest type stuff. The character growth mechanics are crazy and vary from mechs which have their stats determined entirely by equipment (and they have many slots and can equip literally anything) to monsters which change forms and absorbs spells from dead enemies, to humans that learn sword or kungfu skills in moments of inspiration at random in the middle of fights.
How is SaGa Frontier 2 compared to the first?

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Have tried
Atelier Arland ORIGINAL TRILOGY - love it cause of gameplay
Atelier Lulua - someone said best Atelier up to date (yes it is)
Tales of Berseria - good combat
Tales of Vesperia - not impressed
Okami HD - designed for those with great controller mastery, given up

Westernase games
Regalia - good because you can skip almost everything and get achievement, good for those seeking punishing challenging turn based tactics
Battle Chasers - good, but boooooooring
CrossCode - maybe it's japanise actually, but need to get another chance for this
Cosmic star heroine - I was told it looks like rpg maker game and given up on title despite good reviews
One of Zwei games - lol, will skip second
Fell Seal - I get nausiated due to graphic style
Dark Souls 3 - never tried it, why I'm even mentioning this game?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
As someone who's played, and enjoyed, equal amounts of WRPGs and JRPGs, sure. But summarizing the appeal of JRPGs in a one off sentence isn't so easy. I'll do something different:

Top 5 common characteristics of WRPGs*
Create your own protagonist(s) = good for self expression
Highly nonlinear campaign = good for longer lasting sandbox fun
Total moral freedom = good for roleplaying elasticity
Western high fantasy setting = good for fans of Tolkien-esque aesthetics
Interactive world elements = good for physical object manipulation (for puzzles or emergent gameplay)

Top 5 common characteristics of JRPGs*
Predefined protagonist(s) = good for defined storytelling purposes
Front and center plot exposition = good for making the gameplay feel consistently purposeful
Variety of world settings = good for folks tired of Tolkien-esque aesthetics
Complex battle systems = good for players who enjoy tinkering with deeper battle mechanics
Linear game progression = good for gamers shorter on play time

So depending on what aspects you're seeking from an RPG, either the WRPG or JRPG approach could be more appealing. But one is not better than the other, not in any objective sense. Each approach has as many weaknesses as strengths. Those saying otherwise are either uninformed due to lacking a solid frame of experienced reference, or they have some misconceived agenda to push.

*This is all a gross generalization based on the most common foundations among these two expressions of RPG. You can indeed find WRPGs that ape aspects of the JRPG formula, as well as the inverse being true as well. In recent times schools of thought from both approaches have crossbred and homogenized. The stalwart modern WRPGs that refuse to accept Eastern influence tend to be crowdfunded, and thus are immune to modern demographic influence.

I see... good post

volklore

Arcane
I like Japanese retarded creativity sometimes, while you'll see a lot of tropes in character design, writing, settings tend to be way more varied. It's a double edge sword : sometimes it's retarded good, sometimes retarded bad.
Valkyrie Profile (PS1) was a dope story game (set in nordic mythology) with a really cool art style, with metroidvania style sidescrolling exploration and a weird turn based combat system is probably my favorite JRPG. Xenogears is a good storygame too but it's really light on gameplay. Granted I would generally not play classic JRPGs for gameplay (it generally flows pretty well but isn't super deep). Classic era JRPGS (SNES, PS1 era) felt less like 'anime you can play' compared to more modern JRPGs I feel. I think your best bet if you wanna experience what JRPGs offer at their best is to dig in this era : usually a nice refreshing setting, interesting stories with free flowing gameplay (although slightly lacking in depth). Starting with cult classics like Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy VI, Vagrant story, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Suikoden II ... is probably your best bet.

Swigen

Arbiter
The appeal is JRPGs aren’t for fuckin’ babies that have all goddamn day to hem and haw over party creation and min/maxing builds just to see a boring ass story about political intrigue or trade disputes or whatever the fuck to completion. JRPGs are for men who work for a living and don’t have time for bullshit.
:M

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with SMT and DQ, but what is so good about xeno series? Which ones do you like the most? I found xenogears to be fucking dull, and things like xenoblade 2, although mechanically complex, are downright disgusting on almost every other level.

I'm just a fan of Takahashi's wild rides, I wouldn't recommend them because they are full of weebshit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It was pretty interesting for it's time, but I can't say I'd recommend it. I liked Evermore a lot more, much more original setting and very charming all around.

Legend of Mana is a whole different beast I could write a small novel about.

cosmicray

Savant
- Adventure. Even if Story is meh, there is still a very methodical pace to many adventures that you get to experience the world, characters and various plot twists.
- Battle system. Sure, sometimes it looks that they're trying to reinvent the wheel and learning battle at a snail's pace could be crappy, but at least it's an interesting variety from game to game.
- Mostly turn-based. Which is always great.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've only played American versions or PAL of Phantasy Star 1-4, Lunar the Silver Star (Sega CD), Dragon Warrior 1-3, Final Fantasy on GBA, the SNES FF4 (as they label it), and I don't think Hylide is one but god I finished that NES piece of crap (and I could have bought FF1 instead ...GOD DAMNIT!)

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Jrpgs tend to have a greater variety of game systems than western rpgs, but they rarely get exercised outside of their respective post games.

Same applies for j arpgs and srpgs.

When they hit home, they hit very tight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom