Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Kem0sabe

Arcane
2000s-era single player linear cinematic story-driven action games are now so rare that their terminology is being thrown around like a nostalgic buzzword. It's like how an RPG Kickstarter back in 2012 would keep finding excuses to mention that it's turn-based.
On the contrary, they are some of the best selling and most award winning games these last console generations... Uncharted, last of us, God of War, they single handedly saved the ps3 and made the ps4 a power house in terms of sales.
I think it's best to note that these example are Sony-exclusives, which were given lots of resources and marketing budget. I think they go into "rare" category here.

They are also excellent games (without taking into account personal bias and taste). If you look at Sony's future lineup of exclusives, its doubling down on single player, the recently released days gone, then Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, 2 more God of War games, and whatever Naughty Dog is working on. It's worked well for them, and if it works for them it can also work for MS and PC, both of those markets are starved for quality action adventure games, the only developer thats been doing it is Ubisoft.

aris

Arcane
https://www.destructoid.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-s-gameplay-reveal-will-be-at-e3-552610.phtml

Good news, there will be first gameplay shown at EA Play, June 7th. We all can't wait for the next impeccable masterpiece brought to you by E(ternal) A(ssfuckery).
The fact that it is offline is interesting, CA is a co-writer. It gives me a vague glimmer of hope that EA can actually be delivering something good for the first time in the last 30 years. It remains to be seen though

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will they try please the people who complained about the white boy protagonist in the reveal trailer?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Looks solid. Bit on the by-the-numbers action adventure side, but not horrible. I am kinda surprised they have stuff like climbing and swinging on vines when working with Star Wars basically lets you use the Force to make things flashier. Wonder if deflecting is automating considering stormtroopers are basically even more of a cannon fodder than they were in Force Unleashed.

cosmicray

Savant
At this point I don't know if I would liked it in either situation. It seems, Third-Person Action is not the genre I like to play in Star Wars universe. Or there should be less action. It was a specific level, though.

CyberModuled

Savant
Honestly just looks like another Cinematic Action Adventure with a high production value. At most I can say I liked the part when the player dragged the Stormtrooper into his own laser shot but that's about it but unless there's more creative stuff like that, it just looks boring.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Is rebuilding the Jedi Order really the best they could come up with?
Everyone hated TFU and Battlefront 2's shitty predictable hollywood plots but they still keep doing them.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like Uncharted for what it is, so I'm in the market for this kind of games, but it looked slightly boring. Like popcorn movies, those games need some humor, cutting edge graphics (for consoles, ofc) and a likable cast. For now, this game just has a cute but bland twink. Force pull, push and deflect are welcome features though.

cosmicray

Savant
Is rebuilding the Jedi Order really the best they could come up with?
Everyone hated TFU and Battlefront 2's shitty predictable hollywood plots but they still keep doing them.
Everything has to be EPIC. Would love a plot where some mediocre jedi were doing bounty missions, but stumbled on the Empire with Vader(or Boba Fett) killing him in the end. But no, they need some great story in between the current story of Jedi/Rebels vs Sith/Empire so everyone would swing their lightsaber at no end. I think the best time for that would have been between I and II episodes.

Keshik

Arcane
Needs more dismemberment. Some pretty funny NPC dialogue "That trooper! He's dead!" and "I will make you hurt"

Pegultagol

Erudite
Yeah, doesn't impress me much. There's force powers and I'm sure there are upgrade paths to the skills, but less than what a mech can bring in terms of gameplay options. I saw the player reaching a huge cavern expanse filled with enemy and expected him to pull up a sniper gun with bullets that he can direct with the force. Of course, this isn't possible, time to rush headlong swinging lightsaber like a lunatic. And the enemy knows excatly where you are, possibly no room for stealth unless prompted. It looks like a by the numbers, set piece driven, narrow linear corridor blockbuster button masher, 25% of which will probably be spent on quick time events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom