Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, but not in a mustache twirling kind of way. Sarevok used political and economical tricks to increase his influence on the Sword Coast. He didn't want to destroy every human on it. In BG2, Irenicus seeked the power of a god, but I don't remember him wanting to destroy the world.
They were would-be tyrants who wanted to rule a bunch of people brutally, much like Illithids. Only in an Illithid-run society, all the other races can only hope to be slaves at best.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I saw the Screens captured by camera in the Belgian TV interview. The game will be an ActionRPG akin to the Witcher but with Companions. A hybrid of DAI/Witcher but with no pause system. Mark my words. Not that this is a bad thing but I doubt Larian can pull it off. The Witcher was elevated above its stature because of the strength of its writing and its source material. Larian previous work leaves much to be desired (when it comes to writing) and I doubt they will be able to pull it off.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Baldur's Gate actively punished you for role playing an evil character. :M

This is a bit misleading. Generally, having a low rep does punish you more than it helps, I suspect the initial intention was to have different quests for lower rep groups, but this wasn't implemented for some reason (time, money, other) apart from a single quest you can't get if you have a high rep (killing the rival necromancer). Draw on Holy Might is also a more useful ability than all the low rep ones. Having said that, however, the evil party members are noticeably more powerful and more flexible than the goody-two-shoes, which makes up for the increased prices in stores. I'm purposefully not mentioning that you can game the system with donations.

Mortmal

Arcane
I saw the Screens captured by camera in the Belgian TV interview. The game will be an ActionRPG akin to the Witcher but with Companions. A hybrid of DAI/Witcher but with no pause system. Mark my words. Not that this is a bad thing but I doubt Larian can pull it off. The Witcher was elevated above its stature because of the strength of its writing and its source material. Larian previous work leaves much to be desired (when it comes to writing) and I doubt they will be able to pull it off.
Really? i missed it, when was it ?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Really? i missed it, when was it ?

Page 80.

Ulrox

Arbiter
They were would-be tyrants who wanted to rule a bunch of people brutally, much like Illithids. Only in an Illithid-run society, all the other races can only hope to be slaves at best.

Indeed, and I would also argue that the story in the first game wasn't all that well written, the second game has some highs though, that one being irenicus, which was aided by some incredible voice acting.

Zeriel

Arcane
Is three a reimagining? A straight sequel? How much are you taking from the originals?

SV: The previous Baldur's Gate games were based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

Was Swen a boomer all along?

hell bovine

Arcane

This is a bit misleading. Generally, having a low rep does punish you more than it helps, I suspect the initial intention was to have different quests for lower rep groups, but this wasn't implemented for some reason (time, money, other) apart from a single quest you can't get if you have a high rep (killing the rival necromancer). Draw on Holy Might is also a more useful ability than all the low rep ones. Having said that, however, the evil party members are noticeably more powerful and more flexible than the goody-two-shoes, which makes up for the increased prices in stores. I'm purposefully not mentioning that you can game the system with donations.
Buying reputation in BG is a prime example on how not to deal with the consequences of evil actions in an RPG, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not just that, there's also stuff like

Tamah was petrified by a basilisk while fighting gnolls in the Mutamin's Garden area east of Temple. She is the only victim of Mutamin's basilisks that can be saved by a Stone to Flesh scroll. The honorable, heroic (and profitable) reaction to her rescue is to consider it "the right thing to do," with no payment expected. This will earn you 300 xp and +1 to your Reputation. If you are too slow to come to this conclusion, you will get no reward. If you insist on payment to the end, she will give you her house, which turns out to be the useless and inaccessible Submerged House, fallen into ruin and submerged in a swamp, in the Area South of Beregost. If you are greedy enough to so insist, it does indeed "suit your disposition just fine," as she says. You also get -1 to Reputation.

which Josh Sawyer called out some years ago.

Zeriel

Arcane

Buying reputation in BG is a prime example on how not to deal with the consequences of evil actions in an RPG, though.

I used to think buying rep was silly when I was a kid, but now as a 33-year-old-boomer it's actually one of the most realistic things in the game.

Xeon

Augur
The only decent evil act in BGs was related the silver pantaloon, you can't get it unless you do the evil quest or just tell her to wait and pickpocket. Other than that it was mostly for goody goody party.

Wonder if the flaming fist will stop hunting you after you floor your rep and then raise it again.

Ulrox

Arbiter
which Josh Sawyer called out some years ago.

Generally, being 'good' in bioware games has usually been much more rewarding than being 'evil' right? That's been my experience. Not just a Baldur's Gate thing.
In bg2, when you choose between siding with the vampires, or fighting them, well, you get an amazing amulet of power, and you get so much more experience from the good path, since all vampires gives you like 9500 exp.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen Vincke is one of those men whose hair went white early, like Steve Martin. It looks like it happened between Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2.

2004:

00004162-high.jpg

2009:

1258159231-00.jpg

hell bovine

Arcane

I used to think buying rep was silly when I was a kid, but now as a 33-year-old-boomer it's actually one of the most realistic things in the game.
Eh, if only it was implemented as reputation (what the peasants think of you) instead of the all knowing alignment meter. Donating to a temple should not prevent a paladin/ranger from falling, especially if you donate to the competition.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Swen Vincke is one of those men whose hair went white early, like Steve Martin. It looks like it happened between Beyond Divinity and Divinity 2.

The fact that you have access to this information, and so quickly, makes me wonder if sven is your waifu or something.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Sarevok used political and economical tricks to increase his influence on the Sword Coast. He didn't want to destroy every human on it.

Ehm, that was his plan in a nutshell. A giant massacre to be the god of murder. He thought that that was a brilliant idea. I liked the guy, but his actual plan was bonkers and you could call it out.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, but not in a mustache twirling kind of way. Sarevok used political and economical tricks to increase his influence on the Sword Coast. He didn't want to destroy every human on it. In BG2, Irenicus seeked the power of a god, but I don't remember him wanting to destroy the world.
Sarevok was manipulating the sword coast economic and political forces to start a war with Amn. The loss of life during this war was to be his sacrifice to Bhaal, an apparent attempt to appease his father and secure his godhood.

Not sure where you guys got those other ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom