Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, Sarevok isn't that bad of a guy when you get to know him, he was just brainwashed by cultists.

Irenicus on the other hand was a total faggot.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, but not in a mustache twirling kind of way. Sarevok used political and economical tricks to increase his influence on the Sword Coast. He didn't want to destroy every human on it. In BG2, Irenicus seeked the power of a god, but I don't remember him wanting to destroy the world.
They were would-be tyrants who wanted to rule a bunch of people brutally, much like Illithids. Only in an Illithid-run society, all the other races can only hope to be slaves at best.
Sarevok was manipulating the sword coast economic and political forces to start a war with Amn. The loss of life during this war was to be his sacrifice to Bhaal, an apparent attempt to appease his father and secure his godhood.

Not sure where you guys got those other ideas.
I don't see that as destroying the world. Starting a war for selfish reasons is a local event, unlike the one proposed in BG3, where you have to save Faerun.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I genuinely want this to be a skyrim rpg so that feargus commits sudoku at long last.

You must mean seppuku. If he did any sudoku it actually might have slowed down his decline.

Also, Seppuku and Sudoku could both be considered turn based...
...with at least the former having a critical hit/coup de grace at the end of the each round.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah, but not in a mustache twirling kind of way. Sarevok used political and economical tricks to increase his influence on the Sword Coast. He didn't want to destroy every human on it. In BG2, Irenicus seeked the power of a god, but I don't remember him wanting to destroy the world.
They were would-be tyrants who wanted to rule a bunch of people brutally, much like Illithids. Only in an Illithid-run society, all the other races can only hope to be slaves at best.
Sarevok was manipulating the sword coast economic and political forces to start a war with Amn. The loss of life during this war was to be his sacrifice to Bhaal, an apparent attempt to appease his father and secure his godhood.

I don't see that as destroying the world. Starting a war for selfish reasons is a local event, unlike the one proposed in BG3, where you have to save Faerun.
Ascension (which is the goal for both Sarevok and Jonny, and which the Bhaalspawn prevents, only to ascend himself, the selfish git) is not a local event.

Delterius

Arcane

Ascension (which is the goal for both Sarevok and Jonny, and which the Bhaalspawn prevents, only to ascend himself, the selfish git) is not a local event.
I always wanted a high wisdom option to tell Sarevok that deaths in war belong to Tempus and aren't murder and then he kills himself, tbh.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda thought Gods were kinda not too all powerful beings, like they can kill probably an entire city or a country but if they are not careful they can get killed themselves by either some heros or another aspiring lesser god or something to replace them.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I kinda thought Gods were kinda not too all powerful beings, like they can kill probably an entire city or a country but if they are not careful they can get killed themselves by either some heros or another aspiring lesser god or something to replace them.
I haven't read any FR books since I was a wee agris, but iirc the surefire way to kill a god is to remove his worshipers. no faith, no god. wasn't that aspect at play during the time of troubles? whatever subset of FR books dealt with that time, I have a hazy recollection of reading.

Delterius

Arcane
considering the disparity between baldurs gate and amn guards, its obvious theres a city of godkillers around faerun's china

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Here's a good example of the kind of audience Larian needs to reach with their AAA BG3:
Retreater said:
I come from a background of almost exclusively console RPGs - Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, etc. As a kid, I didn't have access to a PC powerful enough to run a game like Baldur's Gate.So I downloaded Divinity: Original Sin after reading glowing reviews. I literally could not find my way out of the first town. Everywhere I turned was a dead end, and I needed to find online walkthroughs to lead me through the confusing steps (that I would've never guessed on my own). [To be fair, I had similar issues with Torment: Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity. Though I did okay with Shadowrun.]I guess I'm just not good at reading the minds of game programmers who can't be as flexible as real life Dungeon Masters. I really wish I could get into these games, though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine those people trying to play the old Gold Box games, Wizardries or M&Ms. I'm always surprised they know how to type a review.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a good example of the kind of audience Larian needs to reach with their AAA BG3:
Retreater said:
I come from a background of almost exclusively console RPGs - Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, etc. As a kid, I didn't have access to a PC powerful enough to run a game like Baldur's Gate.So I downloaded Divinity: Original Sin after reading glowing reviews. I literally could not find my way out of the first town. Everywhere I turned was a dead end, and I needed to find online walkthroughs to lead me through the confusing steps (that I would've never guessed on my own). [To be fair, I had similar issues with Torment: Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity. Though I did okay with Shadowrun.]I guess I'm just not good at reading the minds of game programmers who can't be as flexible as real life Dungeon Masters. I really wish I could get into these games, though.

Wasn't Divinity: Original Sin released in 2014 with higher system requirements? What was the original Divine Divinity? Don't know what this person is talking about.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Mortals directly killing a god is practically impossible, the are practically omnipotent in their home planes and you need to destroy them there to actually kill them. (Outside of truly extraordinary events such as the time of troubles)

God's not interfering in the mortal world is more due to Ao's restrictions than lack of power.

hell bovine

Arcane
Baldur's Gate actively punished you for role playing an evil character. :M
i thought evil chars had better stats?
Stats aren't everything. While Eddie is the best mage in both games, Yeslick and Aerie are far more powerful than Vicky, simply because she's a single class cleric. And you don't even get an evil thief in BG2, unless you count Hexxat (whose scripts were extremely buggy the one time I've tried her).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are some instances in which the general rules were contrived in some Deus ex machina but overall there is no realistic way to kill a god as a mortal with the exception of having literally the stars align and everything wrong that could happen for that god happen for your sake.
There's also the historical exception brought by the times of trouble, heavily talked about in the BG, in which Ao, the overgod entity that overpowers all other gods, got pissed off and stripped them of some of their powers, bound them to their mortal avatar which allowed for plenty of killings and usurpation shenanigans. God avatars, although still far more powerful than the vast majority of mortals, are indeed killable, but outside of the time of troubles, it doesn't matter, because they can always reform new ones. What made those time special and why Bhaal hastened a plan to be reborn in the first place has to do with the fact that being killed in their avatar meant their actual death during those times.

Mind you, Ao doesn't have any real lore to him, he's like the writer and at times the DM self insert to just pull off something from their ass. He's something above all gods, something that doesn't answer to worship, and that is mostly ignored by all until writer decides Ao must do something to move the plot forward.
Forgotten Realms is such a gem of ""systems"" right?

Gods do not usually enter the prime material plane with their actual being (because it would damage the plane, cause chaos and invite other gods to war, or might piss off Ao again) so you shouldn't even have an opportunity of thinking about contending with them. And I don't think you want to reflect on the implications of going to their home turf.
Simply put outside of typical contrived mcguffins to move plots to where the writer wanted it to be, there's no real systems thought out to deal with the divine here. If you want a campaign of god slaying it would involve a lot of creative license and would probably start at the basics of something like being granted a divine spark by a god or stealing it from a demi god and moving through the divine ranks.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
If you want a campaign of god slaying it would involve a lot of creative license and would probably start at the basics of something like being granted a divine spark by a god or stealing it from a demi god and moving through the divine ranks.
they should make a video game about this
possibly with a sequel

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Any god slaying can only be achieved, or attempted - if its a plot of other gods. And in that case you usually end up as a pawn.

Anyway, in this new game the story provides enough reasons for Gods to get involved.
And even for evil deities to support the player efforts and struggle against the Illithids.

Which is one of the specific features of Baldurs Gate games story.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stats aren't everything. While Eddie is the best mage in both games, Yeslick and Aerie are far more powerful than Vicky, simply because she's a single class cleric. And you don't even get an evil thief in BG2, unless you count Hexxat (whose scripts were extremely buggy the one time I've tried her).
Viconia also has 50% magic resistance. She's far more sturdy than Yeslick due to the 19 DEX (Yeslick has 12) and magic resistance, and Yeslick cannot read scrolls due to his 7 INT. Yeah, Yeslick has 1 and a half ApR, whoop-di-doo. In BG2, this trend of the evil companions being stronger is not so true anymore and that's a different beast entirely.

The Bishop

Cipher
I genuinely want this to be a skyrim rpg so that feargus commits sudoku at long last.

You must mean seppuku. If he did any sudoku it actually might have slowed down his decline.
You're both wrong. The right way of saying it is "to commit Suzuki". It's an ancient ritual from Japan during which a person commits suicide by driving an exceedingly powerful sports motorcycle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i thought evil chars had better stats?
I gave an example of how playing an evil character gives you worse outcomes in a way that apolitical Avellone wouldn't approve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom