Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

mwnn85

Savant

Oh dear that looks like absolute shite :argh:
If they wanted some sort of nimble, animal/beast/beastrider unit then you just "take inspiration" from Kroot Hounds - Dark Crusade was easily the best DoW expansion.
What you don't do is mash together a Rhino, Snake, Eagle and Hammerhead Shark and stick a boulder on the end of it's tail.

It's looking like it'll be another slim year...
Blood Fresh Supply hasn't fully delivered. This is looking worse every time I check up on it. Battletech was/is crap as well.
On the plus side we got some more Battle Brothers DLC and Underrail might get it's expansion eventually.
Pretty poor when the highlight of the year are old Blizzard games @ GOG.
Bannerlord is still MIA.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I mean the transformation this game has had is quite uniform across every segment. Whether it's creature design, character design, color palette, whether it's from an isometric perspective, world overview, third person...

Third-person perspective (VATS thing) before...

phoenixpoint06.jpg

... VATS thing after. Now it's legit a different game, almost resembling Team Fortress/Fallout 76.

World (?) overview before...

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2Fd7f5684100ac81fd08d2bd5ccfc84eb129db4fee%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491569831

... world overview after. Is this a theme for the iPhone?

QjIuet4.jpg

Some kind of an airport brochure? These are some pretty drastic transformations.

Brinko

Arcane
Watching the development spiral this game has shown off I now hope Firaxis take all the weird body horror shit and do XCOM 3 as an homage to Abomination: Nemesis Project and just fuck this game into the dirt.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
XCOM 3 could just copycat the Virus movie with aliens possessing a self sufficient automated factory that needs fresh biomass to operate. Of course animals aside, humans are also a perfect biomass for the factory ;)
I mean who do not love body horror shit? You've already got a complete story that you only need copycat, like The Thing or Virus. No one would blame you for a cliche if you just copied the story of the masterpiece.

lightbane

Arcane
Watching the development spiral this game has shown off I now hope Firaxis take all the weird body horror shit and do XCOM 3 as an homage to Abomination: Nemesis Project and just fuck this game into the dirt.

It's already been talked about that by making this more "safeish" and generic-looking, the next proper XCOM title will ensure Phoenix Point is quickly forgotten and/or considered redundant.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's already been talked about that by making this more "safeish" and generic-looking, the next proper XCOM title will ensure Phoenix Point is quickly forgotten and/or considered redundant.

Sure, but why do it? This game could have been good. I would have totally played it, if not for this dramatic change of direction. It had an interesting Hellgate London/XCOM vibe going on. Now I wouldn't touch it with a 10-feet pole.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I will still touch it if it has solid tactical gameplay. Everything aside, the graphics are not android/ios tier gobshite, that can take any willpower to play the game, even if its a fucking masterpiece. But if they opt for even more casualization of the graphics, then it might cross that line.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
"Just in case you didn’t get all of the pieces, here is the complete image. This never before seen image of the Queen isn’t main reveal here. Look out for her later on the Inside Xbox stream from E3. #PhoenixPointE3 #E32019#MutatingThreat http://amp.gs/dFYh"

is this the definition of bait & switch? again? :)
it's in their DNA..
Perhaps they'll replace obsolete and antiquated TB with futuristic Real Time combat system.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
images

courtesy of E3 here s the first cinematic trailer with the new art style:

starts with fight against other humanoid factions but at 1:19 you can see a new mutant enemy sea creature

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why always these slow moving CGI trailers with depressive/moody music for Sci-Fi games? What the hell happened to stuff like this that got you hyped for the game:

I mean, if you are making a CGI trailer, make it fucking badass so you get pumped for combat, saving the earth or whatever!

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

September 3rd? Are they serious? BB4 shows at best 30% of expected/planned/promised game features, and not even refined. I foresee an incoming, but predictable, disaster: less than three months from pre-alpha to release? Are you joking?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom