Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

vazha

Arcane
Have any of you gentlemen (and Jessica) got the kings guard background chap? 300 days in, traversing frozen north, hunting down barbs, still nothing.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
What can change the nature of an autist?
mdma(temporarily)

lsd(might backfire)

having sex(presumably)

Have any of you gentlemen (and Jessica) got the kings guard background chap? 300 days in, traversing frozen north, hunting down barbs, still nothing.
it's probs not worth looking out for, someone on reddit legit made a mod to make it have better stats

just keep hiring economically efficient brawlers and militiamen

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
t. never reached late game
t. grinded hours upon hours of dull and unengaging gameplay only to be rewarded with the amazing tactical experience of "legendary" fights that serve as a binary check for the viability of half your roster each

i swear to God* anyone who disagrees with me about this game is suffering from stockholm syndrome

you can still enjoy the game mind you, but you have to just admit your autism

tbh this is why the merchant autist is the best poster here**

he is at least honest about what the game is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Allah
**after me ofc

Payd Shell

Arcane
t. never reached late game
t. grinded hours upon hours of dull and unengaging gameplay only to be rewarded with the amazing tactical experience of "legendary" fights that serve as a binary check for the viability of half your roster each

i swear to God* anyone who disagrees with me about this game is suffering from stockholm syndrome

you can still enjoy the game mind you, but you have to just admit your autism

tbh this is why the merchant autist is the best poster here**

he is at least honest about what the game is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Allah
**after me ofc
Be that as it may, the economy becomes a moot point once you reach late game. Which was your point. I'm not going to pretend BB is an amazingly deep and complex game, I myself have many issues with how the devs approach pretty much everything in the game.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
My point is that the lategame fights aren't great counter examples to my "this game isn't about combat" because their design is heavily binary.

Besides the fact that you can reach critical mass eventually doesn't make the core mass(just look at global cheevo stats to see what % of players even actually touch on the lategame proper) of the gameplay not be about economic attrition.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How does indirect fire work exactly? Should I aim at the back line in hopes of hitting whoever or take the high percentage shots at the front guys?

Payd Shell

Arcane
My point is that the lategame fights aren't great counter examples to my "this game isn't about combat" because their design is heavily binary.

Besides the fact that you can reach critical mass eventually doesn't make the core mass(just look at global cheevo stats to see what % of players even actually touch on the lategame proper) of the gameplay not be about economic attrition.
>taking cheevos into account for anything
People buy games to own them, not to play them. Pretty much every game on steam has a very low percentage of people actually finishing the game if you look at the global achievements, often in the single digits. The game is about combat, because if you fail at combat, only then comes the attrition into play - you have to recruit new people, heal wounds at the temple, buy a bazillion tools to repair your stuff, camp for half a week until everyone is healed and everything is repaired. This quickly becomes a downward spiral past day 50 or so, where losing a Bro that's level 5 or 6 really fucking hurts. It gets worse as the game goes on, essentially making you lose the game if you lose half your company because there's no coming back from that other than excessive grind, at which point you might just start a new game.

The combat isn't really that good because it shoehorns you into very specific strategies. It would be nice if you could capitalize on CC, enemy fatigue and the injury mechanics the game offers but most of the enemies that you'd want to CC or injure are immune to that. Fatigue is of no concern for the AI because even a lowly bandit raider can spam shieldwall without ever running out of fatigue, unlike you. That's why 99% of the fights devolve into a dps race. That's why you bruteforce raiders, noble armies and goblins with archers, ancient undead and orcs with twohanders. Barbarians are the anti-meta, anti-player faction and require a specific setup that doesn't really work well outside of anything that isn't a barbarian and even then, barbarians are THE faction that can capitalize on bad RNG for the player the most. And let's not forget that indomitable is necessary for orc and unhold fights as well as many of the later fights.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You're wrong, dps is only for easy fights and a couple of enemies like Unhold.

Most of the fights if played on an adequate difficulty are about position, finding the right spot to make your stand, move your foes around so you can bash them appropriately.
Still, name a game where you have to kill your foes where dps isn't the universal solution ?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How does indirect fire work exactly? Should I aim at the back line in hopes of hitting whoever or take the high percentage shots at the front guys?
If your target is obstructed you suffer a -75% to hit (50% with the Bullseye perk). Hits to other targets than the one you were aiming for take a penalty to damage. As for who to aim for, I'd say it depends. If there's a strong frontline that'll take many turns to breach you should probably go for archers or polearm-users, because given time they can really fuck you up. Then again, it's often worth it to go for the frontline if there are lightly armoured and shieldless enemies, or helmetless ones which with a bit of luck can be dropped in one hit. This way you can thin the lines early and possibly drop the resolve of the rest, which is a huge boon.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I will take what is mine with fire and blood! Family heirlooms of thousands merchants!
2lc4nxi.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That pointy mouth helmet looks like madonnas boobs. Although it would be good for smoking a joint while riding around in medieval times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom