Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You really should go there (he general direction of center of the forest) after you finish Old Sycamore AwesomeButton

By the time you finish it you are very likely to be Level 3 and have a full party of 6 people in which the encounter is much easier.

Waterd

Augur
I bought this because i love the idea of timed quests and the rest system i really liked.
After several hours im asking refound. This sucks. I think this is the nail in the coffin to me that I can't stand RtwP. It's so unelegant, chaotic, so low feedback and battles are so unsatisfying.
I was still willing to endure it because i liked other things. But I'm playing in challenging and the amount of pointless fights of uselss mobs is just incredible. The game waste you a lot of time fighting mobs that you can just left click while you answer in twitter.
What's the point of this? what's the point of adding pointless content? What's the point of adding a lot of encounters that pose no challenge, thinking or anything at all? My brain explodes on why game designers make this decision and why peopel accept this.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, charge the named summoner. Otherwise she'll flood you with wolfs.
Other then grease, there's also hideous laughter. Although at that level the effect might be a bit short.

Hope you brought along scrolls of remove blindness :p

Edit: and yeah, my party is usually level 3 already when I do it.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What specifically breaks the game with the Crafting mod?

Can break the fragile balance, not the game. Well, it allows you to gain access to various powerful item mods regardless of what you actually find while adventuring and what you get from artisans. Makes all weapons equally viable for example.

And adds some mods that dont even exist in the base game, such as Celestial Armor (which stacks with Mithrall btw.).

I use it, but only to produce Lead Blade wands so far :P

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, charge the named summoner. Otherwise she'll flood you with wolfs.
Other then grease, there's also hideous laughter. Although at that level the effect might be a bit short.

Hope you brought along scrolls of remove blindness :p

They removed the blindness casting from that encounter, I believe, as part of the EE patch.

If you have the arcane signet, two of its magic missile casts are enough to force the named summoner to flee. Otherwise, yeah, you will need grease or hideous laughter and then to damage them down with weapons. I don't think any of linzi's lvl 1 spells do sufficient dmg to be effective as DDs at that level.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You really should go there (he general direction of center of the forest) after you finish Old Sycamore AwesomeButton

By the time you finish it you are very likely to be Level 3 and have a full party of 6 people in which the encounter is much easier.
I went after Tartuccio for a while and then got a journal update that this has affected what I would find at the bandits' camp, so I decided to put some priority on progressing that quest. I really like that they are making the player choose between these two timed tasks, or at least that they are creating the impression that this choice is important. So if going through Old Sycamore is safe before discovering the Stag Shrine/Temple, I will go there.

Xeon

Augur
I think it only affects who you get for a sixth companion during act 1. Couldn't tell if it affects anything else.

Not counting the 2 mages slaves.

jungl

Augur
funny they called this enchanced edition then immediately go back to patching the game. :) I hope you faggots didn't vote this for game of the year. They don't even have feats in the game like two weapon rend or advanced fighter training ones. Rushed product, incompetent developers and probably fat mafioso slavnigger investors making death threats to owlcat wondering where their money is.

I think this is the nail in the coffin to me that I can't stand RtwP. It's so unelegant, chaotic, so low feedback and battles are so unsatisfying.

To me it's not RtwP as such, I've fairly recently replayed IWD and BG(1). It's the implentation. I like chunks of combat on this, but the levels of chaos in more complex combat scenarios is off the charts fairly quickly (and I used to Play competitive online multiplayer in Warcraft 3). None of these Nu-RtWP developers to me understand where Old.-Bioware back then were coming from…which is simplifying inherently more simple AD&D rules for a real-time Environment they've come to love playing plenty Warcraft 2.

Arguably things went more smoothly in low-level AD&D as expected, but in Pathfinder you level up comparably quickly, and also face opponents who equally resolve multiple attacks per round fairly early on -- that is atop of the concentration checks, attacks of opportunity, percentage throws on miss Chance when concealed (with no Feedback outside of the Combat log), movement across the Battlefield and thus in and out of threat ranges/flanking conditions, etcetera. The general pace of the Combat is also significantly higher than in Deadfire for instance -- literally in Terms of how Things are paced, and also in terms of overall balancing, as you'll find friend or foe quickly who do huge Damage per hit.

Still like the game. As it is, it is just another game that would be better turn based (with different Encounter design, naturally). Cast haste an your party in a battle Scenario of above average complexity, unpause, and replace the Combat Music with the Benny Hill theme. "Elegant" is indeed not something you would describe this as.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I went after Tartuccio for a while and then got a journal update that this has affected what I would find at the bandits' camp, so I decided to put some priority on progressing that quest. I really like that they are making the player choose between these two timed tasks, or at least that they are creating the impression that this choice is important. So if going through Old Sycamore is safe before discovering the Stag Shrine/Temple, I will go there.

It affects companion availability in the first act as well as some cosmetic stuff (dialogue options) and the difficulty of a small number of encounters. In general, if I'm not trying to maximize xp with a small party and xp sharing off, I do... fangberry cave (spider swarms) > nettle's crossing > ancient tomb > thorn ford (bandits) > old sycamore > abandoned hut > etc.

Waterd

Augur
I think this is the nail in the coffin to me that I can't stand RtwP. It's so unelegant, chaotic, so low feedback and battles are so unsatisfying.

To me it's not RtwP as such, I've fairly recently replayed IWD and BG(1). It's the implentation. I like chunks of combat on this, but the levels of chaos in more complex combat scenarios is off the charts fairly quickly (and I used to Play competitive online multiplayer in Warcraft 3). None of these Nu-RtWP developers to me understand where Old.-Bioware back then were coming from…which is simplifying inherently more simple AD&D rules for a real-time Environment they've come to love playing plenty Warcraft 2.

Arguably things went more smoothly in low-level AD&D as expected, but in Pathfinder you level up comparably quickly, and also face opponents who equally resolve multiple attacks per round fairly early on -- that is atop of the concentration checks, attacks of opportunity, percentage throws on miss Chance when concealed (with no Feedback outside of the Combat log), movement across the Battlefield and thus in and out of threat ranges/flanking conditions, etcetera. The general pace of the Combat is also significantly higher than in Deadfire for instance -- literally in Terms of how Things are paced, and also in terms of overall balancing, as you'll find friend or foe quickly who do huge Damage per hit.

Still like the game. As it is, it is just another game that would be better turn based (with different Encounter design, naturally).

While I appreciate your answer, i'm more interested in the second half of my post which i think it's more important, what's your answeR?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I keep getting my ass kicked with the Technic League random encounter. What's the idea - is it supposed to be a very tough encounter, to give the player the idea if he has arrived too early at a certain part of the story, or is it supposed to be passable but I'm too underpowered?
You can beat it if you are minmaxed but rescuing people from the camp is much easier (plus the camp has party members in it)

Shadenuat

Arcane
There is a screenshot above showing a level 1 drow fighter mob with 22 ac and +21 stat modifiers overall
I play on Hard and Unfair difficulties and sometimes tweak monster stats, so it's not normal stats. The early goblins in rng dungeon are surprisingly "normal" even on Hard+ doing 1d4+1 dmg (making those random adamantine scalemails you get in Tenebrous Depths strangely often somewhat useful).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know in that video Owlcat were talking about how to pronounce "coup de grace" and it reminded me of that Lone Wolf novel from when I was a kid. It had a Minsc type character that would always enter battle proclaiming he was gonna execute a "coup de grace de vivre force de el comprehension" or something like that. And spelled correctly.
You've gotta wonder what that would sound like with a Russian voice over. :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The description of the Shielded Caster feat says "whenever you are adjacent to an ally who also has this feat". I picked it for Jaethal, yet when I'm levelling up Valerie it's marked as inadvisable. Is the description correct or should the thumbs down not be there and I should disregard it?

The description of the Shielded Caster feat says "whenever you are adjacent to an ally who also has this feat". I picked it for Jaethal, yet when I'm levelling up Valerie it's marked as inadvisable. Is the description correct or should the thumbs down not be there and I should disregard it?
It’s telling you it’s inadvisable because Valerie is not a caster, and will not get any benefit from the feat, only Jaethal will. Also (haven’t played with Jaethal) don’t inquisitors gain the benefits of teamwork feats even if they’re teammates don’t have the same teamwork feat? If so there is literally no point to giving Valerie Shielded Caster unless you’re planning to multi her to a casting class. Harrim or Tristian would make a lot more sense if you’re sticking to basic builds. In general, teamwork feats are EXTREMELY powerful in PF when used correctly, but you need to choose them to play to both individual and party roles.

Barbarian

Arcane
Anybody got some nice portraits to share? The selection that comes with the game is extremely limited and I'm autistic about using portraits that don't match the style of the ones used on the game.

Haven't found any mod that makes npc portraits available at character creation, for instance.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think Illusion, divination and enchantments maybe necro look like good choices do ditch if you're into flames and explosions.
I ditched necro and divination, focus school is evocation
pew pew
One aspect I dislike about tabletop games converted to CRPGs is the focus on your main character being the party's "face" which gives heavy benefits to playing a charisma-based class.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
One aspect I dislike about tabletop games converted to CRPGs is the focus on your main character being the party's "face" which gives heavy benefits to playing a charisma-based class.

Yeah, well, its not really true here. 95% of the time you can use Persuasion of other party members. Aaand you can pass nearly all tests yourself with rock bottom Cha - as long as you care to buff it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom