Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was turn-based or real-time?

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was turn-based or real-time?

• Turn-based

Votes: 134 74.9%
  • Real-time

Votes: 45 25.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimp

Arbiter
Turn-based seems the only logical option in any kind of D&D based game.
Over the years RTWP has grown into something you tolerate out of necessity in otherwise fine games.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I highly doubt it. The emphasis is on party management etc, that would hardly work on first-person

hexer

Bros..

If I pick turn-based, I'll think of myself - I cannot into sports and reflexes, I'm an oldfag now.
If I pick real-time.. I'll think of myself - I cannot into strategic thinking and patience, I'm a youngfag now.
I'm a middle-aged man, I can still do both.. FML

:negative:

RaptorRex888

Learned
I'd like a good story and that's very unlikely with Larian. I hope I am proven wrong.

Their TB is fun at the outset but gets boring, tedious and monotonous after a while. I hope they can improve its longevity somehow to keep it fresh and exciting past the half way point.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Come to think of it, I hope Larian doesn't straight up copy their previous turn based systems.
Even though I both hope and expect the game will be turn based I pray that Larian's finally learned their lesson and included an option to either speed up or entirely disable ability effects and idle animations. They toned down most of the in-combat idle animations in the second game but one of the reasons fights occasionally feel longer than they need to be is that there's no way to skip watching the characters walk around and use the same animations that you've seen 200 times. A way to speed up both combat encounters and walking speed outside of combat has been among the requested features ever since the first game launched yet it's a topic that Larian, as far as I know, has yet to respond to.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sometime the discussions on the Codex remind me of those fan theories for major IPs on Youtube that are more intricate, optimistic, and well thought out than the actual IP itself end up being. :D

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I would like phase-based (combat) like in Wizardry.

Edit: Please add this to the poll options.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Real Time with Pause and Round Based Real Time with Pause are not the same thing. I assume you mean the later.

Yes they are the same thing.

Realtime and RTwP are also very similar.

Realtime and action combat are the most different - action combat requires constant/continuous user input and Realtime doesnt (click to attack once, unit will attack and keep attacking)

polo

Magister
If the encounters are meaningful and well designed TB is superior tbh. If there is a lot of thrasmobs and shit i'd rather have RTwP just to steamroll over those.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Turn-based would be swell, but with all dem bajillions of pesos they're putting into this thing (200-300 devs) I suspect it'll be something closer to a Dragon Age-ish game with D&D stamped on it, for marketing purposes.

If I can't get what I really want, at the least I hope it's fun.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Baldurs Gate is the game that MADE Real Time with Pause. It would feel wrong to have it be turn based, even though personally I prefer turn-based a little more, but not as much as some of the others on this fine forum of fellow intellectuals.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Turn-based would be swell, but with all dem bajillions of pesos they're putting into this thing (200-300 devs) I suspect it'll be something closer to a Dragon Age-ish game with D&D stamped on it, for marketing purposes.

It could be Dragon Age only when combat starts and you zoom out it's turn-based. Turn-based is more popular at the moment than RtwP, and would work better in co-op. I think it's either turn-based or full on action, I don't see it being RtwP at all. I could be wrong though of course.

J1M

Arcane
"Great news! We've acquired rights to the prominent 5th Edition of the D&D ruleset. Now, get Kevin in here so he can help me adapt it to our Diablo 3 combat model."
-Currently 20.7% of codexers if they were producers​

nikolokolus

Arcane

It could be Dragon Age only when combat starts and you zoom out it's turn-based. Turn-based is more popular at the moment than RtwP, and would work better in co-op. I think it's either turn-based or full on action, I don't see it being RtwP at all. I could be wrong though of course.
You might be right. Whatever it's going to be, I don't expect a new-old game. Hell DOS:2 might look quaint and old-timey by comparison? Fuck it. I'm sure I'll pick it up and play it, and so will most people here, even if it turns out to be an action RPG that plays like a multi-player version of Ego Draconis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom