Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Platformer recommendations

HansDampf

Arcane
Celeste

For best physics: Mr. Gimmick, Big Nose: Freaks Out!
For best puzzles: Another World, Heart of Darkness, Prince of Persia 1&2, Flashback
For best of easy ride: Chip'n'Dale (both with emphasis on the second one)
Obvious choice: SMB1, SMB2 Japan, SMB2 Doki Doki (I've been underestimating this one for years, fortunately beat it to the end like two years ago and now it's propably my fav Mario geam), SMB3
Solid but (most) underrated: Prehistorik 2, Lew Leon, MK Mythologies:Sub-Zero, Big Nose: The Caveman
Guilty Pleasure: Blues Brothers

Martyr

Arcane
Salt & Sanctuary and Death's Gambit for some Metroidvania meets Souls action.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal if you're feeling masochistic. brutal game, not only because of the difficult fights and level design but mostly because of the fucked up mouse & keyboard controls. I literally had to stop playing several times because my hands were hurting that much. easily the hardest game I've ever played and I hate it with a passion, still worth a try for "hardcore" gamers.

Martyr

Arcane
Sundered is pretty good. hard, but not too hard. and sort of a roguelite, if I remember correctly. no permadeath, but randomly generated areas.
Slain is brutal, almost raged as hard as with Bloodrayne: Betrayal.

if you want more enjoyable platformers (= less difficult) these are good:
Inside
Pinstripe

Little Nightmares

edit: I keep remembering one platformer after another. :?
Unravel on the origin store is also good. nice visuals, great soundtrack, no violence. can be hard sometimes, but platformers tend to be rather difficult in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Thanks for Uravel suggestions. I bought Fe on Origin and I enjoyed it, but didn't include it because Origin, duh, and I wasn't certain should I listed it. I played it hour two and not touched it for a while. Time to fix this mistake.

Ivan

Arcane
I actually keep a google doc of my favorite media, here are few more titles I missed that can be easily accessed on the PC: these focus primarily on platforming, some with minor doses of combat. Other excellent titles that have a more even mix have been mentioned here (Hollow Knight, Volgarr the Viking, Cuphead).

Rayman: Origins & Legends

Prince of Persia: Sands Trilogy, Forgotten Sands

Ori Blind Forest

Spelunky

VVVVVVV

(aforementioned) Giana Sisters

Silentstorm

Learned
Celeste is a great hard platformer that is going to get a big update later on.

Spelunky is just an amazing roguelite platformer.

Shovel Knight is still worth picking up.

Same goes for Freedom Planet.

Cuphead is great.

Katana Zero is short but cool.

Broforce, why?

Because you can play as Rambo, or Macgyver, or Terminator, or Robocop, or Neo, or John Mcclane, or as the freaking Predator along others, it's basically a game where you can play as action movie stars or famous characters...and Raiden from Mortal Kombat for some strange reason.

Machocruz

Arcane
What are you defining as a platformer? Any game where you can jump on blocks? What is the experience you are looking for, as some games being mentioned may not fit the bill.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
What are you defining as a platformer? Any game where you can jump on blocks? What is the experience you are looking for, as some games being mentioned may not fit the bill.

I don't really know
But some games mentioned aren't in my interest.

Will probably try:
nothing mentioned here

I'm just sucker for graphics & I thought someone will actually mention great pc platformers with decent visuals, but nooooo.

Silentstorm

Learned
Bloodstained:Curse Of The Moon is pretty great and hopefully an indicator of the quality of the upcoming game.

Slime-San is a great hard platformer based on games like Super Meat Boy with quite a lot of content.

Same goes for N++ which has a lot of levels and is awesome.

Mega Man 11 exists and it's good.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To name only things that are on steam, not counting emulation or doujin games you need to sail the seas for
All the main megaman series games
Rosenkreuzstillette
20XX
Tobari and the night of the curious moon
They Bleed Pixels
The End is Nigh
Super Meat Boy
Wonder Boy : The Dragon's Trap
Volgarr the Viking
Tempest of the Heavens and Earth
Touhou Luna Nights

That's enough to be kept busy for a long while.

Silentstorm

Learned
That just reminds me i bought the two Rosenkreuzstillette in a pack and still have to play one second of them, but it's nice to see them being recommended here, oh, also bought Touhou Luna Nights but i am waiting for the future update to actually play the game.

I can say that Volgarr is awesome though, and Wonder Boy is absolutely gorgeous.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Cave Story - pretty much my go to platformer.

(and the original version is free and has been ported to all kinds of obscure platforms, even chinese handhelds and whatnot. The official remaster is also published basically everywhere.)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I would like to get good platformer req.

So far I tried:
Trine 2 - finished, loved it
La Mulana 2 - loved it
Unruly Heroes - love, love this
Ori and the Blind Forest DE
A Hat in Time & Mulaka - like A Hat in Time more than Mulaka
The King's Bird - hate timers, love everything else
Feudal Alloy - no story though
Dead Cells

Tried it, bu I'm not sure what to think about them
Battle Princess Madelyn - have much more fun than with Iconoclast
Candleman CJ - interesting premise
Semblance - worthy of platformer title, but horribly annoying
Iconoclast

Probably won't try:
Anything too dated, prefer my games fresh and running out of the box
Hollow Knight - bugs bug me

I probably forgot something, so I will fill OP with more info, but suggest away.

I've been playing two hell-themed 3d platformers recently that I think are both good:

DEMON TURF
Trailer:

Neon Splash DLC trailer:

Longplay:

HELL PIE
Trailer:

Longplay:

Additionally you can always go back to the source and enjoy some Super Mario 64 on PC with better graphics and 60fps and a new modern free camera. You can find the builder application and instructions here: https://sm64pc.info/sm64pcbuilder2/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom