Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Pleasures

MilesBeyond

Cipher
You know what? Screw this thread. I regret ever making it. I thought I had put Cookie Clicker behind me forever, you bastards. You utter bastards.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
most Bioware games- They all have interesting lore bits and some interesting characters, even the newer ones.

Everything done decent in a Bioware game is overshadowed by shit design philosophies, just like Bethesda and with Biowares case its definitely the characters: for every decent one created theres a shitty counterpart that ruins the experience. Its the typical eglatarian mindset in modern society that tries to please everyone but as a result pleases no one except the sheep who don't mind getting spoonfed shit.

Having said that, yes Mass Effect 2 and most modern Bioware games have decent combat and gameplay so I guess that in itself is a guilty pleasure..

Dyskolos

Cipher
Risen 2-3 - the framework of 2 was still close enough to the original for me to shield my eyes from most of what went wrong. I knew what was coming with 3 though so I can't even pretend an excuse.

2 Worlds games - it helped that I bought them both for like $3 total and never sat down to them without a bottle of mezcal.

most recently the Ys games - but see mezcal rationale above.

I'm going to project a future guilty pleasure and say Raven's Cry once it falls to <$5. I like pirates and will put up with a good deal to play them.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen 2-3 - the framework of 2 was still close enough to the original for me to shield my eyes from most of what went wrong. I knew what was coming with 3 though so I can't even pretend an excuse.

2 Worlds games - it helped that I bought them both for like $3 total and never sat down to them without a bottle of mezcal.

most recently the Ys games - but see mezcal rationale above.

I'm going to project a future guilty pleasure and say Raven's Cry once it falls to <$5. I like pirates and will put up with a good deal to play them.

Risens were good, though 2 and 3 were not Gothic-like they were decent games on their own rules (save the retarded minigames).

Two Worlds is also a good game, especially for someone who likes exploration. The second one was much worse because they took the exploration away, but it was okay enough to play it after one played the first one. Raven's Cry is bugged as crap though. It would also be a decent game if it worked, but it doesn't.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, for this site (that hates everything), I have to say Dragon Age: Origins. Since I really don't give a fuck what this site thinks about this game because I loved it, I have to say TES IV: Oblivion.

At the time I got it, I had only previously played PS2 and old PC games. The first time I left the sewer and saw all those stars it was fucking unreal. This was my first HD tv experience as well. I mean first everything. I honestly played the shit out of Oblivion.

I recently got Skyrim to try and mod it out. It isn't really the same, and without that graphics thing, you can easily see how shallow of a game it is. I can't play it like I did Oblivion at the time. I stopped playing Skyrim, but luckily, it was on sale for cheap on Steam. Might come back to it, might not.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I... i play jrpgs. Yes, even persona.
I still can't get into those. The only one I've ever played and beaten was Legend of the Dragoon. I had Chrono Cross and it bored the shit out of me. I couldn't even finish it. I also got Vagrant Hearts (I think it's called) from a friend, and I also couldn't finish it.

(Oops... not Vagrant Hearts, Vagrant Story).

Oh, actually, I also forgot I did play the shit out of Saga Frontier. I couldn't get into part 2, but I actually did very much like Saga Frontier.

Probably the only 2 JRPGS I liked: Saga Frontier and the Legend of the Dragoon.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yeah, I willingly played some Dragon Age: Inquisition too. Intended to keep playing it but got distracted by other things.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyrim feels like one since before I stopped for good, I just couldn't get it in my head that it's not going to get any better.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Dude just play AC4: Black Flag instead.

Then Rogue and the AC4 DLC :dance:

Saduj

Arcane
Silverfall , don't why , but I completed this game 3 times in a row and also completed expansion too .

I finished Planet Alcatraz and for the most part enjoyed it. My only real problem with it was that combat is RTWP. And there were a few places where the game had some C&C that was inscrutable due to horrendous translation. It did start to drag a bit towards the end but no more so than D:OS. My overall recommendation would be that if you think you might enjoy it despite what you've heard, you probably will.
This game aimed purely for russian auditory , I don't even know how did it get english translation , playing it in english translation will spoil the experience , it's not only about the language , but cultural aspects as well

I have no doubt that you have to play the Russian version and have some understanding of Russian culture in order to get the full experience. But part of the appeal for me was that there was were so many WTF moments in the game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Those idle clicker games :negative:
I've been messing around with Cookie Clicker here and there for ... a year or two... don't know why...

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%3D%21END%21

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Skyrim is the worst by far. Or was. I put 222 hours into that fucking thing according to Steam. Wanted to hate it, considering how much I despise Bethesda for what they did to Fallout, but I just couldn't. I could clearly see all that was wrong with the game, but I would still play it. And listen to audiobooks at the same time or some shit like that, but whatever.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I play a match of NBA 2K15 like every second day (full 12 min quarters, offline) and then nag that I don't ever have the time to play any good oldies.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Craps. Love craps but all in all I am definitely down over the years.

Firing classic emulators and cycling through roms, playing 3 minutes of each for literally hours, getting nothing done and then feeling awful and nostalgic

same for dosbox and my oldies archive

Inspectah

Savant

But is it really shit or do people say it's shit because of the faggotry-filled SJW reviews of the game?

Latro

Arcane
Firing classic emulators and cycling through roms, playing 3 minutes of each for literally hours, getting nothing done and then feeling awful and nostalgic

same for dosbox and my oldies archive
My problem is worse, I put in about an hour or two, reach a boss battle/complete chapter 1/whatever and then proceed to drop it because I've forgotten everything I did in the story/game cuz I didn't play for a week or two.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guilty pleasures when it comes to fucking games?
That's a good one! :lol:
:excellent:

No, seriously, why should I feel guilty again for liking Mass Effect for instance?
I like SciFi and dissecting that game's story and if it's an RPG or just a shooter disguised as an RPG (how dare they!) is as useful as arguing about the new Mad Max in the movies thread.
Some hate it
ecqkuo.jpg

and some love it
reasons.jpg

The time it takes them to give up trying to convince the other side is a very good idiot detector btw.

Dyskolos

Cipher
But is it really shit or do people say it's shit because of the faggotry-filled SJW reviews of the game?

Pour a drink for this one, friend. The guy playing it has a laugh like a donkey raping fran drescher in an echo chamber but he somehow makes the experience more enjoyable. To be fair it was right on release I watched this so maybe they've patched it a bit.

Inspectah

Savant
well...fuck
And btw, that video is a great analogy to the effects of cocaine, the crazy energy and hyperactivity and stupid laughing, and then the slow decline into exhaustion

Master

Arbiter
Maybe Oblivion. Cant say its a regular guilty pleasure as i played it only once. Though often i get the urge to replay it with all the expansions. But i never did(yet).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom