Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I told you what I want. I don't care what the 'tards get on the side.

Of course I don't want options for the 'tards. I don't even like tailorable difficulty settings.

These are the kinds of angles I like:

scouts.jpg

battle.jpg

I want to be able to lock the angle (any angle) and then track along it freely (akin to being on-rails) regardless of the position of my combat units. I want fine tracking, fine rotation and fine zoom.

Cam-wise, that is the ultimate. It doesn't get any better.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After listening to that interview a few pages back, I'm still none the wiser about what type of game this will be. It's like that time I was out fishing and we were told we were in for a big fucking storm - and everyones trying to play it calm and slightly hyped - but deep down our guts were already starting to churn, and we knew we'd all most probably be heaving them out all over the place in the near future.

But maybe there's hope. I mean, Lilura is back right? And if her plans and blog doesn't work out because BG3 turn out shit - there's always Pathfinder Kingmaker...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How shit is the 5th edition? I assume this is what this game is going to use? I know jack about what happened to D&D after the 3rd edition except that they made everything worse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I interpret Swen's comments as like "yeah, we tested out 5E, it didn't really work for the game we wanted to make, but we used the classes and ability names from it!".

Yosharian

Arcane
How shit is the 5th edition? I assume this is what this game is going to use? I know jack about what happened to D&D after the 3rd edition except that they made everything worse.
4E introduced some retarded shit, 5E iterated on it and made it substantially less shit. 5E is very streamlined and easy to understand compared to 3.5E, but it has some very smart concepts in it too. Overall I think 5E is ok as a base for the new game.

Cael

Arcane
4th Ed was basically WoW on paper. I haven't looked at 5th because after 4th and the way they fucked over 3.5 fans when they introduced 4th, fucktards of the coast is on the banned list.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on Lilura, why would Kingmaker not appear on your blog? Pathfinder is a D&D mod. Baldur's Gate III might be coming out in 2021 for all we know, you're going to have to find other things to do anyway.

Ulrox

Arbiter
5E is AD&D on crack.

It's an easier to understand, slightly dumbed down version of 3.5. From what I understand, 3.5 was very well liked, but there were far too many bonusses and various things you had to factor into your rolls, and it took ages to resolve combat. 5th edition aimed to solve this problem by making things easier, but still retaining a lot of customization.

I'd say it's a good enough baseline for a game, but also, Larian will likely change the system around a bit. It will be interesting to see what kind of game comes out of that process.

Cael

Arcane
5E is AD&D on crack.

It's an easier to understand, slightly dumbed down version of 3.5. From what I understand, 3.5 was very well liked, but there were far too many bonusses and various things you had to factor into your rolls, and it took ages to resolve combat. 5th edition aimed to solve this problem by making things easier, but still retaining a lot of customization.

I'd say it's a good enough baseline for a game, but also, Larian will likely change the system around a bit. It will be interesting to see what kind of game comes out of that process.
3.5's biggest problem is that the authors couldn't keep track of everything because it got so big. As a result, they couldn't catch all of the possible interactions between skills, abilities, classes or whatnots. That gave the dramaqueens the opening they need to whinge and whine and eat cheese with the ponces. Decline followed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They could have prevented things from getting out of hand if they had retained some of the lore based limitations of the 2E. Halflings paladins lmao fuck off.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Come on Lilura, why would Kingmaker not appear on your blog? Pathfinder is a D&D mod. Baldur's Gate III might be coming out in 2021 for all we know, you're going to have to find other things to do anyway.

For several reasons I guess:

• It's a Renaissance blog and Kingmaker falls out of that timeframe. (BG3 is a special case.)
• I don't like Paizo or 3.75. (I think Erik Mona is a great writer, though).
• I wouldn't be able to compete with other sites because I have no base. So I'd be starting at the bottom of the pile and who wants that?
• Looking back at my commentary, I'm not happy with most of it. The Baldur's Gate stuff needs to be rewritten.
• I honestly do consider Swordflight to be one of the greatest RPG campaigns ever; better than even Baldur's Gate. So why not keep writing about it?
• I've only covered some of Troika's ToEE (not Arcanum or Vamp Bloodlines).
etc.

So as it stands I have a lot on my plate for the next two years at least.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

For several reasons I guess:

• It's a Renaissance blog and Kingmaker falls out of that timeframe. (BG3 is a special case.)
• I don't like Paizo or 3.75. (I think Erik Mona is a great writer, though).
• I wouldn't be able to compete with other sites because I have no base. So I'd be starting at the bottom of the pile and who wants that?
• Looking back at my commentary, I'm not happy with most of it. The Baldur's Gate stuff needs to be rewritten.
• I honestly do consider Swordflight to be one of the greatest RPG campaigns ever; better than even Baldur's Gate. So why not keep writing about it?
• I've only covered some of Troika's ToEE (not Arcanum or Vamp Bloodlines).
etc.

So as it stands I have a lot on my plate for the next two years at least.
I’ll wait 2 years.

Cael

Arcane
They could have prevented things from getting out of hand if they had retained some of the lore based limitations of the 2E. Halflings paladins lmao fuck off.
It is generally not the race-class combos that caused issues. It mainly had to do with class combos and the fact that some classes were clearly not meant for PCs with crazy requirements, but the optimisers managed to get them into builds anyhow.

Plus, some of the things were just badly thought out. I mean, the idiots listed the Dust of Choking and Gagging as a cursed item! Seriously? I'd kill to lay my hands on one.

3.5 encourages gentlemen agreements between players and the DM, and that is a good thing, IMO. Anything that is too rules oriented is bad for tabletop.

hexer

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright, you piqued my curiosity. Since my old copy of NWN1 is buried somewhere in a cardboard box in a completely different country, should i get NWN1EE to play this, or should I attempt to get the old version, perhaps off GoG?

cloudropis

Educated
So, Lilura you would say ToEE, and JA2 are better than D:OS’ns? I will play them now and you have me convinced:salute:
She convinced me to play ToEE and JA2 through her blog and I can say that, while the latter will sit in my library for a bit, ToEE is pretty fucking cool and well worth your time, the point I think it will actually spoil my future experiences with RtwP because holy shit is this turn based system great

turkishronin

Arcane
I'll leave a comment on your blog, under the review

If you're being serious and really want to make people happy with your game, why wouldn't you just say its name in this thread? Why are you being weird about it?

Fineeeee, here it is… I was 19 years old and didn't know anything about game development when I made it in 2003., so expect the unexpected :lol:

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/12/Sapphire-Star-Walkthrough-Guide.html

whoa that's really a good review

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
After listening to that interview a few pages back, I'm still none the wiser about what type of game this will be. It's like that time I was out fishing and we were told we were in for a big fucking storm

Why not assume that it will be like the D:OS games, just with better interface and more cutscenes? Worked out good, comes closer to BG and they just have to make it look better.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Interesting, this seems pretty decent and judging by-

Wait.

bafdor.jpg

Neanderthal ?!?!?

His mining buddies died by strange creatures underground. They were noted for being quick and they thrive in the dark, likely having infravision/darkvision.

Neanderthal... or as he is known here as BAFDOR has a deep hatred for all things elves. Elves are quick, elves can see in the dark, and Drow live in subterranean spaces.

We've uncovered the lore of Codex user Neanderthal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom