Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Alright, you piqued my curiosity. Since my old copy of NWN1 is buried somewhere in a cardboard box in a completely different country, should i get NWN1EE to play this, or should I attempt to get the old version, perhaps off GoG?

Rogueknight 333 - who should be designing BG3 :P - recommends DE. But EE works fine for the most part, too.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
She convinced me to play ToEE and JA2 through her blog and I can say that, while the latter will sit in my library for a bit, ToEE is pretty fucking cool and well worth your time, the point I think it will actually spoil my future experiences with RtwP because holy shit is this turn based system great
ToEE has the best implementation of mechanics of any game. It's not just rtwp that suffer in comparison, most other tb rpgs too.

Cael

Arcane
So, Lilura you would say ToEE, and JA2 are better than D:OS’ns? I will play them now and you have me convinced:salute:
She convinced me to play ToEE and JA2 through her blog and I can say that, while the latter will sit in my library for a bit, ToEE is pretty fucking cool and well worth your time, the point I think it will actually spoil my future experiences with RtwP because holy shit is this turn based system great
ToEE is 3.x in true cRPG format. Seriously, other than one or two minor things, it is basically 3.x on computer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, and my blogstats have tripled. That means there are shitloads of people wanting to play BG and BG2 due to the announcement.

You hit 10,000/day yet?

He says missing because of dice is no fun in a video game, but there’s no other way to miss in a CRPG unless it’s an action RPG

lukaszek says hi, though I'm fairly confident they won't be going in that direction.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, Lilura you would say ToEE, and JA2 are better than D:OS’ns? I will play them now and you have me convinced:salute:
ToEE is 3.x in true cRPG format. Seriously, other than one or two minor things, it is basically 3.x on computer.
Isn’t the major flaw of ToEE the encounter design? Everything else I’ve read about it is perfect.

Cael

Arcane
Isn’t the major flaw of ToEE the encounter design? Everything else I’ve read about it is perfect.
I was comparing the PnP rules as implemented by ToEE. One of the minor differences is heavy crossbows only requiring a move action to reload (it is full action in PnP), the other is how it changed the stats of Scat and Fragglerock.

Other than that, ToEE implemented the PnP rules faithfully.

Encounterwise, I don't really see a problem with it. There were some nonsense like fighting a Balor at level 10, but that is a relic of 1E where level 10 is the start of epic (i.e., 1E L10 is 3.x's L20).

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
While her propensity for acting like a member of the Trump dynasty gets rather tiresome at times, Lilura with her blog does serve an invaluable role within the RPG community. It's good to have you back.

Although:

My blog started off small and then BOOM - Lilura ruled. The incline steepened acutely. Stack me up against other commentators. Oh, that's right. You can't because I've crushed the competition with my King Content. These impudent, spineless and fickle upstarts pulled the plug when they realized they couldn't compete. They looked upon my write-ups and despaired.

You have the page stats to check what I'm about to claim: Your Baldur's Gate and Fallout coverage is little (if any) better than the myriad FAQs that populated the internet before you were ever a thing. If I want an appraisal of those games' myriad content, I go to GameFAQs, not your blog.

Your competitive advantage is your Neverwinter Nights coverage, which has no equal, followed by JA2 and ToEE. By all means continue to cover the BG series, but recognize that those games don't make you.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
While her propensity for acting like a member of the Trump dynasty...
Take a load of this guy.

giphy.gif

ResetEra is that way, bud.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, what's wrong with GameFAQs? A lot of the content there, especially on the original IE games, is from before quite a few people here were born.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, what's wrong with GameFAQs? A lot of the content there, especially on the original IE games, is from before quite a few people here were born.

It's place where you can get moderation for posting nazi stuff, so codex naturally hate it.

Oh, I don't engage with the forums or whatever. It's a very old site, far older than the Codex. The old FAQs are pretty good and were written by people who cared and knew their stuff well.

Martyr

Arcane

Temple of Elemental Evil is fucking perfect, a masterpiece, pure roleplaying heaven.
it's also cheap as fuck right now, so if you haven't go play it right now, you won't regret it!

Last edited by a moderator:

turkishronin

Arcane

Temple of Elemental Evil is fucking perfect, a masterpiece, pure roleplaying heaven.
it's also cheap as fuck right now, so if you haven't go play it right now, you won't regret it!

Its UI is godawful

Cael

Arcane

Its UI is godawful
That it is. The 5ft step buried 3 deep in the radial menu is a crime against gaming that should only result in a lynching.

Martyr

Arcane

Its UI is godawful

that's heresy, the UI is perfect as well. :obviously:

Mud'

Scholar
Anyone who thinks a game with close-up facial mo-cap is going to be turn-based is seriously delusional.

They will probably go with Divinity 2 type of game with companions that you can issue commands somehow, i can only imagine Dragon Age Origins tactical view gameplay.

Shrimp

Arbiter

Its UI is godawful
The dial menu can be a bit weird but everything else is serviceable.

Martyr

Arcane

Its UI is godawful
The dial menu can be a bit weird but everything else is serviceable.

it can be weird at first but you get used to it and someday you'll like it.
I was also glad to see a similar combat menu to that of ToEE in Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

Martyr

Arcane
Shit everything on GOG Rn is dirt cheap, damn I just got Christmas early. Will get ToEE:salute:

I don't know what you've played up until now, but iirc you haven't played that many RPGs, right?

my recommendations for an ultimate roleplaying experience:
- ToEE
- Wizardry 6, 7, 8
- Darklands
- Jagged Alliance 2
- Fallout (or any other Bethesda game, so you get Daggerfall for free. Daggerfall is another masterpiece that shouldn't be missed and one of my all time favorite games.)

edit: oups, I should mention that for me the Darklands sold on steam is superior to the gog version, as it is more stable and the copy protection questions aren't asked as frequently. gog version is pretty much unplayable for me.

cloudropis

Educated
ToEE has the best implementation of mechanics of any game. It's not just rtwp that suffer in comparison, most other tb rpgs too.
So is it gonna be the end for me when it's over? Will I have to unironically buy KotC to feel alive again?

Fuck it was still full price a few days ago, I had to scavenge a zip I got from GOD from months ago from my HDD. Price is an absolute steal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom