Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
So is it gonna be the end for me when it's over? Will I have to unironically buy KotC to feel alive again?
ToEE is the only game I know with that kind of attention to detail of a PnP ruleset. It is also based off a classic oDnD PnP module, which explains the world building and characters. If those are the things you are looking for, you aren't going to find anything even remotely close in games released in the last 20 or so years.

In fact, Ultima 6 might be your best bet when it comes to TB full party control RPG of that calibre (U7, although better, is RT and no full party control). Beyond that, you are looking at Gold Box games...

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
All of the games RPG's I have so far:

-Wizardry 1-8
-Ultima 1-4
-Baldur's Gate 1/2
-All the Gold Box Games
-Fallout

Games soon to get:
-Might and Magic 1-6
-Ultima 5-7
-Jagged Alliance 2
-IWD 1/2
-ToEE
-Darklands
:bounce:
If I'm missing any let me know.

J1M

Arcane
They are acting coy and like buffoons PR-wise, but they also exhibit business acumen.

1.6 mil views on the teaser trailer in just a few days. For a franchise resurrected after two decades with a name most people can't spell or pronounce. Not bad.

Oh, and my blogstats have tripled. That means there are shitloads of people wanting to play BG and BG2 due to the announcement.

I'll bet Beam-mutt are happy flogging extra EEs, too.
That's about as retarded as Jay Wilson thinking he had anything to do with Diablo 3 launch sales. The interest is 100% based on the strength of the brand and previous games.

cloudropis

Educated
So is it gonna be the end for me when it's over? Will I have to unironically buy KotC to feel alive again?
ToEE is the only game I know with that kind of attention to detail of a PnP ruleset. It is also based off a classic oDnD PnP module, which explains the world building and characters. If those are the things you are looking for, you aren't going to find anything even remotely close in games released in the last 20 or so years.

In fact, Ultima 6 might be your best bet when it comes to TB full party control RPG of that calibre (U7, although better, is RT and no full party control). Beyond that, you are looking at Gold Box games...
I don't care much about PnP implementation itself as I don't have any experience in D&D outside of videogames, and I definitely don't have the expertise on the matter to have a strong opinion in favor or against it, just that I like it. I just love the combat itself and the degree of control I get over it, I really want to play PF:KM but I have no fucking idea how more fine grained stuff like 5-FS, trips, CdG etc (basically everything on the left of the radial menu) is supposed to work in RtwP.
Who the fuck thought RtwP was a good idea past AD&D?

cloudropis

Educated
Oh I also realized I have NWN:DE on GoG for some reason, guess I can also give Swordflight a try and become BFF with lilura :bounce:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
If I'm missing any let me know.

You're on the good path, son. But make sure to get Planescape: Torment in there.
Meh, I’m not a storyfag and I’ve read it had really shit combat, so it’s kind of turning me off, we’ll see though it’s cheap so I guess I can throw it in.

No, that's correct. But it's regarded highly despite the shit combat, and that should tell you something.

Also, get Neverwinter Nights (I'd recommend NWN Complete from GOG you can get the Enhanced Edition from GOG, which contains the original Diamond Edition, or from Steam), not for the base campaign, but for the expansions and the user-made modules. Check Lilura's site for an excellent list.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Larian is probably the most competent developer for RPGs that we have right now, and unless we have solid evidence that the game is going to be shit I don't have any reason to doubt their competency.

I don't doubt their competency either after seeing Original Sin, but the game will not feel Baldur's Gate'y due to engine not being Infinity Engine, Bioware of that time is not making it, it's not 1999 anymore.

This game will be a cross between Original Sin - Baldur's Gate license - tabletop DnD.

It has the license and the name, but don't expect it will play like the old ones, it will be a similar flavour, but I bet most Codexers will be like 'this is not like it used to be'.

Quillon

Arcane
it's not 1999 anymore.

It's not!?
rating_negativeman.png

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Also I’ve knowticed IWD2 has not been “remastered” by beamdog and it’s original price (ignoring the sale) was $10. Was the original BG1/2+ with expansions only $10 as well? Because Beamdog charging me $20 for their “enhanced” editions is some bullshit.

Andhaira

Arcane
I told you what I want. I don't care what the 'tards get on the side.

Of course I don't want options for the 'tards. I don't even like tailorable difficulty settings.

These are the kinds of angles I like:

I want to be able to lock the angle (any angle) and then track along it freely (akin to being on-rails) regardless of the position of my combat units. I want fine tracking, fine rotation and fine zoom.

Cam-wise, that is the ultimate. It doesn't get any better.

What game are those screenies from???

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also I’ve knowticed IWD2 has not been “remastered” by beamdog and it’s original price (ignoring the sale) was $10. Was the original BG1/2+ with expansions only $10 as well? Because Beamdog charging me $20 for their “enhanced” editions is some bullshit.

Yeah it was if I remember correctly- even less in a sale. The only reason to get the EE is for the quick weapon switching between ranged, TWF, etc. I don't know if they finished patching it, but the amount of agravation that went into fixing their game breaking bugs exceeded any efficiency on their part with what they "fixed".

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Yeah it was if I remember correctly- even less in a sale. The only reason to get the EE is for the quick weapon switching between ranged, TWF, etc. I don't know if they finished patching it, but the amount of agravation that went into fixing their game breaking bugs exceeded any efficiency on their part with what they "fixed".
I fixed my BG game with free mods, which to beamdog apparently was worth an extra $10. :argh::argh::argh:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You're making assumptions about AD&D2 based on BG?
BG left a lot of stuff unimplemented that would be icky to implement.
Just a single class alone :
bYAlSGg.png

D&D3E and later may have differing level of complexities but make no mistake, there's a ton of stuff in AD&D that doesn't translate well to computers.

J1M

Arcane
So, Lilura you would say ToEE, and JA2 are better than D:OS’ns? I will play them now and you have me convinced:salute:
She convinced me to play ToEE and JA2 through her blog and I can say that, while the latter will sit in my library for a bit, ToEE is pretty fucking cool and well worth your time, the point I think it will actually spoil my future experiences with RtwP because holy shit is this turn based system great
ToEE is 3.x in true cRPG format. Seriously, other than one or two minor things, it is basically 3.x on computer.
Isn’t the major flaw of ToEE the encounter design? Everything else I’ve read about it is perfect.

Temple of Elemental Evil is fucking perfect, a masterpiece, pure roleplaying heaven.
it's also cheap as fuck right now, so if you haven't go play it right now, you won't regret it!

Its UI is godawful

that's heresy, the UI is perfect as well. :obviously:
Radial menus are retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thonius

Arcane
You're making assumptions about AD&D2 based on BG?
BG left a lot of stuff unimplemented that would be icky to implement.
Just a single class alone :
bYAlSGg.png

D&D3E and later may have differing level of complexities but make no mistake, there's a ton of stuff in AD&D that doesn't translate well to computers.
And that's how you make fighter class fun...

agris

Arcane
Patron

Of course I don't want options for the 'tards. I don't even like tailorable difficulty settings.

I want to be able to lock the angle (any angle) and then track along it freely (akin to being on-rails) regardless of the position of my combat units. I want fine tracking, fine rotation and fine zoom.

I think that's DA:O. The second shot has the camera further out than I remember it going, she may have the tactics (or whatever it was called) mod installed.

Quillon

Arcane

NWN2.

Andhaira

Arcane
How shit is the 5th edition? I assume this is what this game is going to use? I know jack about what happened to D&D after the 3rd edition except that they made everything worse.

Its great compared to prior editions. Its still D&D and thus carries the baggage that goes along with it, like high hps at higher levels, but its the best edition of D&D till date. One of the main reasons is the fact that magic items are no longer assumed in a PCs progression, i.e. the game math does not assume every PC will have magic weapons/armor/items by a certain level. This results in a low powered feel and its much easier now to have low magic campaigns. There are also no longer any monsters that require magic weapons to be hit; monsters do have resistances, such as werewolves are resistant to non silver weapons meaning they take half damage from them, which is fine IMO.

The magic system was also improved, making mages more fun to play, though the overall power of spells has been reduced making magic users and clerics less dominating. For instance, its now impossible to stack buff spells; each buff type spell (like bulls strength) remains only until the caster concentrates, and a caster can only concentrate on one spell at a time. So no more spamming bulls strength, bears endurance, etc before a fight.

Stats no longer go above 20 now, including with racial mods or even magic items.

The 'bounded accuracy' design principle makes it easier to hit things and also to get hit in turn, this also means things like normal armor is more important than before, as there are very few other ways to raise your AC.

The skill system appears to have been 'dumbed down' but honestly the way the skills worked in 3E and PF each class only ever specialized in their core skills as it didn't make sense not to and you didn't have points left over to spend on other things (unless you were a pure rogue) so in some ways 5e's simplicity in this regard is appreciated. Its still not good though and could have been far improved.

On the other hand the game is in some ways less complex and thus less satisfying than say Pathfinder; I actually prefer PF's base system which was much improved over 3E, especially the plethora of character choices at each level, but that game has too much baggage, like carrying over the assumption that PCs will be loaded with magic items by level 4+ and this is built into the games math and the monster math.

D&D 5e is basically AD&D 3e, or what a straight evolution of AD&D2e would have been.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom