Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Martyr

Arcane
All of the games RPG's I have so far:

-Wizardry 1-8
-Ultima 1-4
-Baldur's Gate 1/2
-All the Gold Box Games
-Fallout

Games soon to get:
-Might and Magic 1-6
-Ultima 5-7
-Jagged Alliance 2
-IWD 1/2
-ToEE
-Darklands
:bounce:
If I'm missing any let me know.

if you've got Fallout you do have Daggerfall, right?
I can't stress the importance of Daggerfall enough. it's Skyrim/ Oblivion/ Morrowind done right.
seriously, I spend more time in the Iliac Bay than in real life. install that game now!! standard controls are retarded but you can change them to play exactly like Skyrim, no difference at all.

oh and if you like Wizardry 6/7/8 you will also like Wizards & Warriors.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

-Wizardry 1-8
-Ultima 1-4
-Baldur's Gate 1/2
-All the Gold Box Games
-Fallout

Games soon to get:
-Might and Magic 1-6
-Ultima 5-7
-Jagged Alliance 2
-IWD 1/2
-ToEE
-Darklands
Get Ultima 8 as well. It's :decline: from 7 but still a great game by today's standards. The atmosphere is great and the exploration and magic system is really cool.
You could give the Ultima Underworlds a go, but as some of the earliest 1st person rpgs they are really primitive when it comes to graphics and UI, enough that it could easily get in way of your enjoyment. I had loads of fun with both games when they were new though, so it's not as if they are unplayable.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

-Wizardry 1-8
-Ultima 1-4
-Baldur's Gate 1/2
-All the Gold Box Games
-Fallout

Games soon to get:
-Might and Magic 1-6
-Ultima 5-7
-Jagged Alliance 2
-IWD 1/2
-ToEE
-Darklands
Get Ultima 8 as well. It's :decline: from 7 but still a great game by today's standards. The atmosphere is great and the exploration and magic system is really cool.
You could give the Ultima Underworlds a go, but as some of the earliest 1st person rpgs they are really primitive when it comes to graphics and UI, enough that it could easily get in way of your enjoyment. I had loads of fun with both games when they were new though, so it's not as if they are unplayable.
Oh shit I do have the ultima underworld games, forgot. And maybe I’ll get 8, if I really like the Ultima series, still haven’t played it yet.

Efe

Erudite
if ur getting ultima underworld also try out its spiritual successor, underworld ascendant and let masterlobar know your feelings on the game on the games thread in codex

cloudropis

Educated
Who the fuck thought RtwP was a good idea past AD&D?
You're making assumptions about AD&D2 based on BG?
BG left a lot of stuff unimplemented that would be icky to implement.
Just a single class alone :

D&D3E and later may have differing level of complexities but make no mistake, there's a ton of stuff in AD&D that doesn't translate well to computers.
Worded that wrong: "who thought RtwP was a good idea past computer games loosely based on AD&D?". What I meant is, RtwP seems to work fine with lighter systems like IE's portrayal of its ruleset, whatever it might be, because your options are pretty much autoattacks with the occasional toggle/active and spells. It starts chooking hard when you implement all the movement stuff in real time.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For instance, its now impossible to stack buff spells; each buff type spell (like bulls strength) remains only until the caster concentrates, and a caster can only concentrate on one spell at a time. So no more spamming bulls strength, bears endurance, etc before a fight.
Kinda sounds like shit, whats the point of being an Abjurer or Transmuter and stuff?

Fairfax

Arcane
There are also no longer any monsters that require magic weapons to be hit; monsters do have resistances, such as werewolves are resistant to non silver weapons meaning they take half damage from them, which is fine IMO.
That's false. Lycanthropes are immune to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from weapons that aren't silvered. The same applies to several constructs and adamantine, and many creatures (such as liches and extremely powerful demons) are immune to non-magical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage in general. Also, over 150 creatures are at least resistant to non-magical weapon damage, so although magic weapons aren't mandatory, martial PCs will certainly struggle without one.

For instance, its now impossible to stack buff spells; each buff type spell (like bulls strength) remains only until the caster concentrates, and a caster can only concentrate on one spell at a time. So no more spamming bulls strength, bears endurance, etc before a fight.
Not quite. Although most good buffs require concentration, there are good ones that don't: Mage Armour, Mirror Image, Aid, Blink, Freedom of Movement, Foresight, Crown of Stars, Mind Blank, and many others.

Stats no longer go above 20 now, including with racial mods or even magic items.
Also false. There's a manual/tome for each ability that increases the maximum score by 2, the Barbarian capstone increases the maximum STR/CON score to 24, Blessings increase stats above 20, and several items and artifacts put scores above 20.

D&D 5e is basically AD&D 3e, or what a straight evolution of AD&D2e would have been.
Nonsense. It's a slightly AD&D-fied 3.5E, which is good, but very far from a third AD&D.

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter

Call of duty,
world of warcraft,
diablo 3
playerunknowns battlegrounds
fortnite
skyrim
euro truck simulator
counter strike go
grand theft auto 5
crysis

Totally necessary games for you to install and dedicate your entire life to.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Stats no longer go above 20 now, including with racial mods or even magic items.
Also false. There's a manual/tome for each ability that increases the maximum score by 2, the Barbarian capstone increases the maximum STR/CON score to 24, Blessings increase stats above 20, and several items and artifacts put scores above 20.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the max is 30, right? Which would be 5 more than adnd second edition, but still less than the third editions.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the max is 30, right? Which would be 5 more than adnd second edition, but still less than the third editions.

This is correct.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So the engine is the DOS engine, that is interesting. Thought I read somewhere they were going with something totally new, oh well. One thing though, DOS engine is based on Unity right, even for the second game? I'm having trouble finding information about it. I mean, if it is, it isn't their own in-house engine completely?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Have they mentioned if they're gonna release more info in E3 itself?
Nothing that I'm aware of, but I feel it'd be odd for them to officially announce the game in the days leading up to the largest game expo and then do nothing with it. I wish we could move past the trend of making teasers/trailers for upcoming trailers or announcements already :roll:

Ulrox

Arbiter
So the engine is the DOS engine, that is interesting. Thought I read somewhere they were going with something totally new, oh well. One thing though, DOS engine is based on Unity right, even for the second game? I'm having trouble finding information about it. I mean, if it is, it isn't their own in-house engine completely?

I don't know much about it, other than, it most certainly isn't running on unity, otherwise you'd get really crappy performance.

Shrimp

Arbiter
It's being developed on a new iteration of the same engine. I'm guessing that's what you read? As far as I know it's their own in-house engine which they've gradually updated with every new release.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see, shit, I could swear that Original Sin was made using the Unity engine. Guess I was wrong. Then their engine is 100% in-house.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Yeah unlike the "professionals" at Obsidian the Belgians managed to create a working graphics engine on their own instead of licensing existing ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom