Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline BG3 : Rtwp, turn based, action , place your bet!

What do you think baldur's gate 3 will be ?

• Total voters

Mortmal

Arcane
Given the evidence we gathered in the thread , i dont think it will be anything like a niche game for grognards. Poll is about what you expect it to become, not what you want it to be of course.
Turn based, rtwp, witcher 3 , discuss!!!

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Given the evidence we gathered in the thread , i dont think it will be anything like a niche game for grognards. Poll is about what you expect it to become, not what you want it to be of course.
Why you picked Witcher 3 and Dragon Dogma as examples? Just curious.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why you picked Witcher 3 and Dragon Dogma as examples? Just curious.
Witcher 3 is the most successful third person game and one of the most beautiful game on pc . But yes i could also pick skyrim probably. Dragon's dogma system is the best way to include a party in an action game in my opinion.Could aslo have picked dragon age inqusition i guess. Those are just exemples.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It's weird. In one of the interviews, Vinnke made it seem like the plot has basically fuck all to do with the old games, so it has to have at least some mechanical resemblance to the trilogy. Otherwise why make a sequel? The studio is well known by now and doesn't really need a 20 year old IP to sell shit.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's weird. In one of the interviews, Vinnke made it seem like the plot has basically fuck all to do with the old games, so it has to have at least some mechanical resemblance to the trilogy. Otherwise why make a sequel? The studio is well known by now and doesn't really need a 20 year old IP to sell shit.
IP became more popular recently, people play 5e more and critical role really helped. Drizzt , bruenor , the forgotten realms are still well liked too. I think you will find those familiar names in larian game, and the usual spells on cooldowns.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I considered making a list of the people who have claimed this will be a third-person action RPG, but I can't be arsed. If you'd just identify yourselves with a helpful 'my bad' comment after you're proven wrong that would be great.

Edit: that's OK Barabus I'll be sure to remember you.

Bohr

Arcane
It's the Codex so was half-expecting a "Gold box clone (kingcomrade)" option, voted action RPG instead

edit: FYI Strange Fellow

Mortmal

Arcane
I considered making a list of the people who have claimed this will be a third-person action RPG, but I can't be arsed. If you'd just identify yourselves with a helpful 'my bad' comment after you're proven wrong that would be great.

Edit: that's OK Barabus I'll be sure to remember you.
We will for sure . Admit it the odds are so far in our favor, google stadia, controller, 300 people working on it, people working on facial animations on belgium tv...

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Action RPG. Full real time. Maybe with slow down. No way theyll go for RTwP.

Mightmagic

Augur
Action RPG. Full real time. Maybe with slow down. No way theyll go for RTwP.
I think that Action RPG is impossible because Larian has told since the kickstarter campaign of divinity original sin 1 that old school -like rpgs was since always the games that they want to make and not action rpg. Action rpg like divinity 2 was made only because they can't find money to create old school -like rpgs.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would wish it was TB, but so far it doesnt look like it. We will see if that talk was just a marketing schtick. And maybe they have different ideas whats "important" in old school rpgs. What did Swen list as important features of BG games and DnD so far? Exploration, companions interaction, party, multiplayer (lol), lots of options in gameplay, and maybe a great story.

Thats the same shit Todd would say.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Still
clear.png
Rainbow Optimistic about TB.

frajaq

Erudite
I hope it's TB
But it would be fine if it's third-person like Witcher 3
Honestly it would even be fine if it was first-person like Skyrim, but the "Gather your party" line makes me really doubt they would do this way

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I guess it will be a 3rd Person Action Game, hopefully with good Party Mechanics. The Guys at Larian seem highly motiviated, maybe the Game will even be decent. But they really need better writers. While I liked the D:OS Games, the Stories were really bad IMO.

I'd prefer turn based, but I guess they go for the great Success.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I honestly don't know what to expect.
On one hand I expect it to be RtwP like the original games since Larian has expressed a desire to stay true to the original experience (tm) based on what little information we've been given so far. On the other hand, both of Larian's two most popular games are turn based like the actual DnD. More importantly, Larian acquired the license from WOTC while D:OS2 was in development so D:OS1's commercial success has likely played a role in convincing WOTC that Larian should be the company to create BG3.

Given their current reluctance to make any kind of statement regarding the combat system I'm guessing they're either waiting for an announcement at E3 or making a system that can't be described as either of the two options.
Of course there's also the possibility of both options being added as a toggleable feature in order to appease both groups of players. I imagine that it's significantly easier to balance the game's encounters when it's still in development rather than having to tack on a second combat system a year after launch.

I'm not sure what I'd think of a third person/action oriented gameplay system. I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma and I wish there were more games with similar AI companions (especially if they were further customisable with a tactics/behaviour system like in Dragon Age: Origins) but I feel that such a combat system would be wasted on a BG/Larian game.

Thal

Prophet
It can't be RTwP, because multiplayer is going to be one of its biggest selling points. Who's going to do the pausing then? A band aid system won't work here.
It can't be pure RT either, because it has to be tactical enough and RT won't work smoothly enough with too many options, needing to scroll through your party's spells, etc.
Pure action would be hard to do with party based DnD.
So it's going to be accessible turn based, and fast-paced enough so that other players don't get bored between their turns.
Edit: Turn based combat also won't rule out over the shoulder exploration, environmental interaction and cinematic dialogues.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The thing is, they are intentionally not saying what type of mechanics they will use in this opening marketing move.

Because they have been working on the game for two years - that means they are not revealing the info to avoid gathering early bad reactions from one part of the target audiences.
They want to keep this starting PR all positive so they havent said a single thing that anyone can take badly. The bad reactions cannot be avoided, but its foolish to immediately jump into that from a PR stand point.
Delay as much as possible and let the positive reactions accumulate. - thats also why all video interviews have all that obnoxious feel good shtick to them.

BG had a RTwP fanbase but fanboism over that was spent away through kickstarters. And economically because of PoE and Deadfire. Although there are some that would still want a RTwP BG3, they seem to be in relative minority now.
Due to success of DoS TB games and a fact DnD is made to be played in TB mode one would assume that is a safer bet then RTwP, experience and engine wise.

So, Larian may be hiding the info to avoid antagonizing either of these groups too early. Only RTwP crowd doesnt have such a weight anymore. So they may be hiding it to avoid antagonizing both.

Success that DoS2 achieved would be enough for this new game to be profitable, but is enough - enough?
What if they can sell 5 million? What if they can sell 10?
Like those other open world Action RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom