Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thalion

Novice
Meh. I lamented the move from 2D to 3D for a long time, because it was such a sharp step backward and would take a long time to catch up. But I think that period has finally ended in the last few years.

Which games make you think that?

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Same engine as Enhanced Editions.

What enhanced edition? It too me a while to find that info and basically it's Divinity Definite Edition engine. Which is a mile from enhanced edition you probably meant (beamdog's)

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Meh. I lamented the move from 2D to 3D for a long time, because it was such a sharp step backward and would take a long time to catch up. But I think that period has finally ended in the last few years.

Age of Wonders 3 and Pillars of Eternity are good examples, I think.

They are not proper 3D.
Pillars wasn't bad game because of isometric fake 2d fake 3d, it was failure because it's shitty in general.

Falksi

Arcane
Was playing Divinity Original Sin last night and, whilst I thrive on the game, 2-D artwork is just so, so, so much more absorbing.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

But Pillars of Eternity has pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, which is far more similar to what IWD and IWD2 did than to D:OS, which is full 3D.

And, as much as I love pointing out Pillars of Eternity flaws, its backgrounds and sceneries are amazing.

Saerain

Augur
Patron

But Pillars of Eternity has pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, which is far more similar to what IWD and IWD2 did than to D:OS, which is full 3D.

And, as much as I love pointing out Pillars of Eternity flaws, its backgrounds and sceneries are amazing.
Yeah, I know, 3D rendered and baked into only partly-3D environments, that's why I didn't mention it alone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

2D will always have that special timeless look to it, but I think 3D "caught up" a while ago. Then it went off the cliff and got worse the last few years IMO, because of all the processing effects they slather onto shit in the quest to make it look like a movie.

Humanophage

Arcane
3D never caught up with 2D. If you are generous to it, it maybe caught up with early 2000s 2D maps in some games. PoE demonstrates the beauty that you can have in an isometric game on modern computers, and it looks significantly better than any isometric full 3D game where the backgrounds tend to be a cartoonish mess. Unfortunately, it is completely inevitable that good looks will be sacrificed for the sake of "progress" again. And in TB, we'll also probably be forced to watch the ultra-slow non-skippable 3D animations for every combat move because that apparently constitutes beauty in the eyes of those people.

Ultimately, who cares so long as it works and isn't too much of a mess (unlike e.g. AoW3)? We have been forced to play hideously ugly 3D atrocities for a while after experiencing pretty IE games and the like, including even the idea that mid-2000s 3D heads are a good replacement for character portraits. I view it as a kind of switch to brutalism and then the international style in architecture. Everyone unfortunately has to put up with it and the best thing we can hope for is that they don't start knocking down older buildings to make room for their modern "beauty".

I think these screenshots amply demonstrate how fundamentally confused these people are, genuinely thinking at some point that these heads are an adequate replacement for portraits. It is a puzzle what goes on in their mind.
NWN2_14.jpg

dragon-age-origins-pc-cd-key-4.jpg

Last edited:

Mightmagic

Augur
3d like dragon age origins, nwn 2 or DOS.
2d is more difficult for animations than 3d.

Curratum

Why is there a poll for this? Of course it's not going to be 2D, why even dream and / or speculate about it?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
What did you think we were going to say? 2D is obviously the better choice for an isometric game. It's not even a contest.

Nah, you're just seeing newer games and remasters on optimized resolutions for vastly superior screens with more pixel density and a wider color gamut. 2D is basically concept art pasted onto a game. No 3D game has ever come within a thousand orders of magnitude of its concept art.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whatever PoE2 did graphically, would do. Amazing looking game. But not with the same engine please, fucking Unity

DraQ

Arcane
If 2D is superior to 3D, surely 1D would be even better? Or how about 0D? Now that would be classy (not to mention economical on asset development front).

And I'm sure Larian would drop the engine they have all the tooling and experience, not to mention things like elevation and neat environmental effect system (that naturally allows some things that *should* have been in the original BG, like burning webs, but didn't) for any old bag of derp hastily repurposed from an RTS prototype just to let you wank over your nostalgia in an instant if only that brilliant thought occurred to their little simpleton minds.

Seriously, for some time there has not been much point posting here - it's like average IQ of a 'Dex member halves every two weeks or so, and most of you (some notable exceptions notwithstanding) didn't have much to begin with, to be frank.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom