Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Swen and the fat wotc dude live @ e3

Thonius

Arcane
So the engine is the DOS engine, that is interesting. Thought I read somewhere they were going with something totally new, oh well. One thing though, DOS engine is based on Unity right, even for the second game? I'm having trouble finding information about it. I mean, if it is, it isn't their own in-house engine completely?
Completely new shift? 3rd person view?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
jesus nothing new, he even sounded nervous when he was asked about gameplay and he kinda skipped around the question
He has been following this thread I see.

So the engine is the DOS engine, that is interesting. Thought I read somewhere they were going with something totally new, oh well. One thing though, DOS engine is based on Unity right, even for the second game? I'm having trouble finding information about it. I mean, if it is, it isn't their own in-house engine completely?
Completely new shift? 3rd person view?
D:OS/2 is on their own engine.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If I want an appraisal of those games' myriad content, I go to GameFAQs

While her propensity for acting like a member of the Trump dynasty gets rather tiresome at times

latest

DECLINE AGENT SIGHTED.

DISASSEMBLE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD FROM YOUR COMPUTER AND FORFEIT ALL BITCOIN TO Commissar Draco

FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN EXTREME RETALIATION

YOU HAVE FIFTEEN SECONDS TO COMPLY

Speaking of Robocop, it just dawned on me that Swen Vincke kinda looks like Bob Morton. Hope he is careful when ordering champagne after inviting bitches at his house.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can you social media people ask them questions? I wanna know how they can make a better game than Kingmaker, and if they can't make something much better then why even bother? And if they can make something much better then tell me how or I will know you can't. Also why was DoS2 worse than DoS1? That is inexcusable to me. Also why did you do the armor system in DoS2? Surely you can see it makes the game less fun? All it means is you can't use any control spells, you have to build everyone to just blast the shit out of everything and once you finally blast through their shields, there is no point using control anyway, you may as well just blast a bit more and finish them off. It doesn't make sense. I had more fun in the first few hours of DoS1 than I did in the entire game of DoS2.

Also why fewer action points? Did you try to make the game simpler? Or harder? Or what? What was the reasoning. And why do you not fire whoever decided it? Show me one gamer on the planet who would prefer fewer AP per turn.

I have some faith in Larian though. Just not lots of it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I wonder what these ideas that blossomed into something much bigger are. I wonder if BG3 will have anything really new in the RPG genre. And I don't mean some shitty town building gimmick. Will the game just be BG2 again? Or will it feel new and different?

Andhaira

Arcane
Fairfax

That's false. Lycanthropes are immune to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage from weapons that aren't silvered. The same applies to several constructs and adamantine, and many creatures (such as liches and extremely powerful demons) are immune to non-magical bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage in general. Also, over 150 creatures are at least resistant to non-magical weapon damage, so although magic weapons aren't mandatory, martial PCs will certainly struggle without one.

Resistance is not the same as total immunity, though you are correct about certain powerful monsters like Demons. Still compared to 3e there are far, far less monsters requiring magic weapons to be hit. With creatures like lycanthropes their immunity is lore correct and makes sense, and yet their silver vulneribility also allows a lower level party to be able to fight and kill one without requiring magic items.

Not quite. Although most good buffs require concentration, there are good ones that don't: Mage Armour, Mirror Image, Aid, Blink, Freedom of Movement, Foresight, Crown of Stars, Mind Blank, and many others.

Many of those aren't really buffs, they are useful in certain circumstances. By buff I mean enhancement spells that have a direct affect on combat ability. Furthermore some of those you mentioned that would classify as buffs can only be cast on self (like Mirror Image)

Also false. There's a manual/tome for each ability that increases the maximum score by 2, the Barbarian capstone increases the maximum STR/CON score to 24, Blessings increase stats above 20, and several items and artifacts put scores above 20.

Ok, I forgot about the Barbarian capstone but that's a unique capstone feature of a single class, which you get at level 20. And even then if you took every single level of that class without multiclassing till level 20. And things like manuals and tomes & artifacts are extremely rare things; you are neve guaranteed to get these things in your campaign. You most certainly cannot start with them unless you are playing a specific type of game (i.e. a high powered game) In 3e you could go above 20 naturally using racial mods and putting your attribute increases into the concerned stat.

Nonsense. It's a slightly AD&D-fied 3.5E, which is good, but very far from a third AD&D.

Sorry, D&D 5e is an evolution of 2e; just because it doesn't have THACO doesn't mean its not. Though yes you could also say its AD&D-fied 3e since it uses the base system (ie. the d20 system) rather than the mess of subsystems that was AD&D but not slightly.

Bara

Arcane
Huh, might have been mentioned earlier but the gog page for BG3 has been changed to matched the steam page now.

Instead of saying "real-time" in the genre tag its now "stratagey"

Really wonder if Larian requested this or if gog decided on their own to match the it to what was on steam.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Will the game just be BG2 again?
I hope to God it's going to be BG2 again, lololol. But it won't be.
Hmm I like BG2 but I already played it and so many other games that are a lot like it. I want something new. DoS was a nice idea with the magic and elements and shit but it isn't deep enough. Kingmaker is nice but it just feels like playing TOEE and stuff, again, only with lame town building gimmick and too many trash fights. I think BG3 needs to look and feel like BG in tone, but I think the gameplay needs to evolve.

p.s. I have a bad feeling I will end up enjoying KOTC2 more than BG3. But I will try to stay positive :>

volklore

Arcane
I already got my IE BG 're-do' with kingmaker. Still kind of hoping for turn-based which would be the non brain damaged option considering the studio developing it. But when studios wanna go AAA, they tend to lose self-awareness :(

Spockrock

Augur
so the balding dude said "to see the whole Baldur's Gate is amazing" or something to that extent. if he meant the entire city on the screen in-game, could that mean open world/sandbox?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The whole Time of Troubles affair was basically an in-setting justification for the changes in AD&D from 1e to 2e

AFAIK was no change between 1st and 2nd editions with regards to gods, if anything the 2nd edition took the idea of killing a god off the table - an idea which did exist in 1st edition.

After all, 2nd edition was not a re-write like the munchkin 3rd edition was, but a polished, marketable, organized and playtested 1st edition. The rules are the same between them, the tables are the same, the classes are the same - with some minor nips and tucks. It's perfectly reasonable to consider the 1st and 2nd edition to be the same game and the denomination 2nd edition fits very well.

The Times of Trouble affair was written with much fanfare from TSR, to change the setting, so TSR had a plausible reason to sell the Forgotten Realms setting again (now in a gold box!) and all the new source books. The map changed, new characters were introduced, the factions evolved and so on.

The Avatar trilogy was not written to clarify gods in the FR or their relationship with 2nd edition AD&D.

It was written for marketing reasons, to encourage people to buy the 2nd edition FR boxed set, because otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to do that - the difference between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D didn't really affect the FR setting.
tumblr_p8bsuzpFSm1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

In early 1990, TSR released a hardcover Forgotten Realms Adventures book for updating the setting to 2nd edition AD&D, which had been published the previous year. A revised box set eventually followed but not until 1993.

As for the Avatar trilogy and the Time of Troubles, it was indeed used as a justification for various 2nd edition AD&D rules changes such as the elimination of the assassin class, rather than simply applying such changes retroactively. For example, the Forgotten Realms had a patron deity specifically for assassins named Bhaal, and as part of the Avatar storyline this god was destroyed along with all members of the assassin class, rather than take the option of having all assassins retroactively become thieves or fighters who practiced assassination.

Curratum

I'm growing increasingly worried about Mike Mearls pushing the "game is the DM" and "we can now see the sort of storytelling D&D is about in a videogame" and all this overly ambitious talk about open-endedness and reactivity.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why? I think that's the typical strategy for explaining what an RPG is to an audience who has had some experience playing CoD on their consoles, but that's all they know about videogames.

Hmm I like BG2 but I already played it and so many other games that are a lot like it. I want something new.

Same. The next BG is not going to fully look like it. The companion side that Larian intend to focus on has gone pretty stale, for a start. You meet them. You pick them up. Down the road you gradually unlock more and more dialogue™ out of them. They may offer a companion quest™ or two. That, and a romance™. The worse implementation of it all is the one where companions simply seem to exist to please my main char, with no motivations of their own. My ill-fated Party of Evil and good characters having a go at each other to much actual surprise back in the Nashkel mines was a really awfully long time ago.

Given Larian's System driven Approach, and objects in their game world actually being touchable and existing, I'd hope they would throw some AI into the mix as well, but Maybe my hopes are too high. As a simple example, imagine that thief you pick up who on the odd Occasion would consider stealing value objects at the worst possible moments from the worst possible NPCs... Vincke's right, BG2 in many ways set the benchmark still existing to this day, and the only things really added to it were mainly cosmetic. Like, cinematic presentations. Games aren't movies. Time to upgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom