Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Terra

Cipher
Felt like I was watching a trailer for a grittier Harvest Moon reboot or something.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the trailer was fine btw. They're trying to stand out in a world of grimdark post-apocalyptic games.

Seems I have a higher tolerance for trailers than other people around here though so maybe I'm the one who's fucked up
Every trailer got applause and cheers except this one. There is a reason for that. I’d only release a trailer like that for a comedy game.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Waaay overboard with the humor, but otherwise an expected trailer.

Looks more interesting than Cyberpunk or Outer Worlds for the gameplay premise alone.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the trailer was fine btw. They're trying to stand out in a world of grimdark post-apocalyptic games.

Seems I have a higher tolerance for trailers than other people around here though so maybe I'm the one who's fucked up

I have a lot of patience for this stuff, but that trailer was fucking terrible. Fargo doesn’t trust that there’s an audience for this kind of game and it shows.

himmy

Arcane
tbh, it's probably incredibly hard to make a trailer for a top-down turn-based game that's entertaining and flashy enough to warrant being on stage at the XBOX show or whatever

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They're trying to stand out in a world of grimdark post-apocalyptic games.

Which world is that? What I'm seeing recently is a world of Fallout 4, New Dawn and Rage 2 - postapo games that are goofy, garish, juvenile and dumb. It's grimdark that'd actually stand out.

The trailer got me confuse. Was just left absent mindedly blinking at the screen for a few seconds.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Wasn't Wasteland 3 kickstarted? This change in tone is... dubious at best, considering who paid for it.

The vast majority of the Fig money came from investors, who've got to be quaking in their boots after the news of Deadfire's 32% RoI. They'd probably be thrilled if inXile announced a battle royale mode and a few eroge minigames.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

New release date - Spring 2020: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/922

Howdy from Colorful Colorado!
POSTED: 06/10/2019

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2F6657bc29-4aec-4580-b279-47c78d5c9169

A Postcard Arrives
E3 is upon us—that special time of year when you learn about new games, or more about the games you’re most excitedly waiting for. We’re happy to be delivering some of the latter, with a new, pre-Alpha look at Wasteland 3 from an old pal and returning character from Wasteland 2. We’d love to hear your thoughts.

In addition to the return of Scotchmo and an extended look at the post-nuclear landscape of Colorado, we’re announcing a new launch window of Spring 2020. That’s down to the fact that, thanks to our relationship with Microsoft, we’re able to hire more staff and spend more time realizing our vision for Wasteland 3. All in all it means a little more time to get things right and deliver the experience we want, and the one we know you expect.

We also have new screenshots to share over on our Wasteland 3 page on the inXile site so you can get a closer look at some of locations glimpsed at in the video.

Alpha, Early Access and Release
We’re pleased to announce two more release windows; ones we’re asked about almost as often as when the game itself is coming out.

Our backer Alpha will arrive August, 2019 to those who pledged in the First Access and higher tiers. Early Access (sometimes referred to as Beta) will be arriving in late Fall, 2019, and is for all backer tiers with the exception of the Correspondent tier.

The Alpha will be a first opportunity to play around with many of the game’s different systems in a guided experience, with the Early Access providing a bigger chunk of the game to check out. In both cases, they’ll be your opportunity to provide us with feedback that we can use to help make the final game that much better for everyone.

As mentioned above—but it bears repeating—our launch target for the full game release is now Spring 2020.

Wasteland 3 at gamescom
If you’re attending gamescom 2019, you’ll have a chance to check out Wasteland 3 and meet some of the inXile team as we’ll be there showcasing the game for press and at the Deep Silver booth. Come by and say hello!

Our Alpha backers won’t have to travel to Cologne, stand in lines, or be limited by any event timers, as they’ll be receiving an unrestricted version of the gamescom floor demo.

Last Chance to Back Wasteland 3
For those of you who haven’t backed the game yet and have just been reading along, we’ll be closing CrowdOx to new orders on June 30. A very limited number of physical Collector’s Editions remain, so if you’ve been waiting on treating yourself, now is the time!

Backer Q&A
There’s a lot going on, so we’ve worked up a little mock Q&A. Certainly if there are other questions we missed and can answer right now feel free to comment below and we’ll do our best. Of course there are still some things we won’t have specifics on to share just yet.

Q: Can you talk a little more about what’s in the Alpha?

A: We’re still nailing down the exact part of the game we’ll use, but the goal is to provide enough of the core game systems and experience to prompt feedback and reports to help us improve the game and resolve issues. You should expect a tailored experience in a focused environment that covers a lot of the core systems. Be aware that co-op will not be available in the Alpha.

Q: When can I choose my platform?

A: We’ll be working with CrowdOx to set up and send that data collection survey after backing closes on June 30. So you can expect it shortly after that.

Q: I want a GOG key for the full game, but I have Alpha and Early Access as part of my pledge. What happens here?

A: Previous crowdfunding pre-release tests have been on Steam only. Your participation in a pre-release test on Steam won't change or preclude you from choosing your final game delivery on another platform.

Q: Is it possible to still get physical goods?

A: Yes! We have a *very* limited amount of physical good pledges left to claim. The CrowdOx backing platform will remain open for a very limited time. Once we sell out of the physical Collector’s Editions or on June 30 (whichever comes first), we’ll be closing all backer opportunities. Head over to the Wasteland 3 CrowdOx page.

Q: Any updates on physical backer goods?

A: Not for this update. We’ll have more to share in future updates. Just know that it’s going to be awesome.

Q: I backed the game but not at a tier where I’ll be able to get into the Alpha. Can I still upgrade my pledge?

A: Yes, but as noted above only for a limited time. Head over to the Wasteland 3 CrowdOx page to manage your pledge.

Q: Do both people need to own the game for co-op play?

A: Each person will need to own the game in order to play co-op.

One Last Treat
Finally, we wanted to leave you with one last treat. We’re happy we were able to reveal Scotchmo’s triumphant return in the E3 trailer, and wanted to share a look at how we’re bringing Scotchmo back for Wasteland 3. show how the character originally evolved in Wasteland 2, the iteration work he went through in early production, and finally an extended video snippet of a player conversation with him. Again, please remember that everything you see, from graphics to audio to UI, are all pre-Alpha.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2Fdadcbf4a-484d-48b1-b428-f70d47fe2aba

Pre-Production Iteration on Scotchmo’s look for Wasteland 3

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2Fde64bb65-c2b4-45df-b015-ca6a75cd0f18

Scotchmo’s Wasteland 2 look alongside a high-res (WiP) Wasteland 3 model

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2F69017d1f-a21d-482f-a679-3608696c1170

An early test version of Scotchmo and the conversation system

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F06%2F07%2Ff712ae88-3af7-40c6-9b29-5c3bde86d034

The revised Scotchmo, weathered, weary, and thirsty in Wasteland 3

And here’s an extended look at the model, animation, and VO for Scotchmo. The dialog UI is very much temp in this video, but provides an example of the type of dialog options you might see in the final game. Our artists want to reiterate that this is of course an early look with temp UI, in-progress lighting, model, and everything else. However, we'd still love to hear your feedback!

Thank you again for your backing and support of the game. We couldn’t have gotten this far without you. We’ll see you again soon with some more Wasteland 3 goodies, including drill-downs on some of the core gameplay pillars and systems. Stay tuned!

Follow Us:

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Cute trailer but the graphics looked really rough in that trailer to me for some reason. Maybe because I was watching on wifi downstairs though, I dunno.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
the goal is to provide enough of the core game systems and experience to prompt feedback and reports to help us improve the game and resolve issues... be aware that co-op will not be available in the Alpha.

Most entertaining outcome: co-op mode keeps getting delayed until the release version and comes out with no prior public testing :shittydog:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're overdoing it with the Scotchmo "funny stuff".
Well at least they still plan to have "RPG" dialogues with skills checks. Yeah!

Xeon

Augur
Looks a lot better than WL2, didn't like how goofy they made the game in the trailer since even Obsidian is going for it but still hope the game itself will be good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom